No announcement yet.

Poll for Mac Salad - Where do you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll for Mac Salad - Where do you like?

I am no expert on mac salad but I had the one served with the lunch specials ($6 includes generous meat & starch plus mac or green salad and soda or tea) at Shooters and it was really excellent. Not too dry, not under or over seasoned. Where is your favorite? Do you like tuna mixed in like my dearly beloved?

Re: Poll for Mac Salad - Where do you like?

Originally posted by glossyp

"Where do I like it"!?

In my mout'. Why!?
    You spread it in your armpits, or wot?

Comment

Having spent my childhood in Texas, I find mac salad in these islands ridiculously bland and boring (and I still wonder why it has become such a standard in plate lunch boxes).

Chopped green olives, celery, etc., makes for much more interesting mac salad.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        "Where do I like it"!?

In my mout'. Why!?
        You spread it in your armpits, or wot?
        so sorry for the lack of clarity in the question. should've said "what restaurant/eatery do you think has the best mac salad?"

Comment

Well KFC is no longer selling mac salad.

For me I don't have a favorite place to go for mac salad.

Comment

For "local" mac salad, L&L has some pretty decent stuff. Except I like potatoes in my mac salad, too, and no tuna!

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I have no real preference for any establishment's mac salad, but I know what I like in mac salad, and patronize restaurants on that basis. Turns out, people can have very strong feelings about what is and what isn't an acceptable ingredient for mac salad. To each their own, right?

I don't like celery, or pickles (or pickle juice). I can eat onions, but I'd rather not. I like tuna, and peas. I find the "Kauai style" with chopped spaghetti noodles (on top of the typical elbow macaroni) to be a little strange, but just as tasty...

Comment

L&L and Mahalo Drive Inn's mac salad seem to be okay. But I kind of noticing I am eating less of mac salad these days.

Comment

I don't like L&L Mac Salad. Too inconsistent. Too overcooked. How much garlic powder does it NEED? Same with Yummy's. Never get mac salad firm enough.

I like Zippy's Mac Salad, especially when lined up with a chili frank plate or a beef curry stew.

At a party an old friend made a potato-mac salad that was laced with sliced black olives, surimi, finely chopped celery and onion. It was out of this world.

I like to make mac salad, but I'm always on the hunt for a better recipe. My mayo keeps drying up, or getting sucked up by the mac, it never stays creamy. Any advice would be welcome.
                  Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                    I don't like L&L Mac Salad. Too inconsistent. Too overcooked. How much garlic powder does it NEED? Same with Yummy's. Never get mac salad firm enough.

I like Zippy's Mac Salad, especially when lined up with a chili frank plate or a beef curry stew.

At a party an old friend made a potato-mac salad that was laced with sliced black olives, surimi, finely chopped celery and onion. It was out of this world.

I like to make mac salad, but I'm always on the hunt for a better recipe. My mayo keeps drying up, or getting sucked up by the mac, it never stays creamy. Any advice would be welcome.
                    The secret to keeping the mayo from drying up is to add a little milk to the mayo (do the same thing with cole slaw). I also add s'kosh dijon mustard to my mac salad. Wait until the macaroni cools off before making the salad. Sometimes I add sweet pickle relish, too.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      The secret to keeping the mayo from drying up is to add a little milk to the mayo (do the same thing with cole slaw). I also add s'kosh dijon mustard to my mac salad. Wait until the macaroni cools off before making the salad. Sometimes I add sweet pickle relish, too.

Miulang

Will do! Thanks a bunch sweetie!
                      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by lavagal
                        One thing I learned after trial and error is to cook the macaroni beyond al dente to where it is quite soft but not falling apart. That's actually trickier than undercooking for me so I watch it constantly once it gets to the firm bite stage. Since it's cooked a bit longer it won't soak up so much dressing. I also put pickle juice in the dressing to thin it out a little and add some flavor. Usual mac salad dressing for me is mayo, half & half, pickle juice or vinegar, salt and pepper. Sometimes Old Bay seasoning for a change but the traditionalist in the house does not like that at all!

Comment

I really like the salad from Richie's Drive In and from Kuakini Medical Center. I do not like any mac salad with onions, so that means I can only eat it from so many places...I just hate onions...it also means I don't have very many choices for burgers since most places put onions in the patties.
                          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I tried Zippy's and it was certainly nothing to write home about.

I like my own mac salad and so does everyone who has ever tried it. They beg me for the recipe, and I just laugh, it is so easy. It's just salad mac or small shells, diced celery, sliced black olives, shrimp, and sliced green onions dressed with real mayo, Old Style Sauce, and Johnny's Seasoning Salt.

Comment

No not the Mac Salad Poll.

I tell u - I gef um! Us guys up hea NW go make potluck I bring my mac salad - ho ono dat one - fo realz!

Comment

Working...
                              X