Okinawans live longest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okinawans live longest

Foget da white rice rice and start grinding moa purple sweet potato! Den maybe you get one betta chance foa live to be 100 without going pupule, according to dis study:

http://www.mauinews.com/story.aspx?id=4999

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Okinawans live longest

Yeah but whateva dey stay kau kau make dem some hairy buggahs!
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

And how come if Okinawans are supposed to be Japanese, that they look kinda hapa haole, anyway? The Okinawans I know all have really nice complexions and looooong eyelashes. I like their andagi, too.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        And how come if Okinawans are supposed to be Japanese, that they look kinda hapa haole, anyway? The Okinawans I know all have really nice complexions and looooong eyelashes. I like their andagi, too.

Miulang
        From what I was told when I was younger, by my grandma who is full Okinawan (and always made sure she told people this, when they mistakenly called her "Japanese"...Okinawans sure are proud to be Okinawan, and not Japanese), the Portuguese seafarers used Okinawa as a stopover on their voyages across the Pacific, so there was a lot of "intermingling" with the natives and that's why a lot of Okinawans have reddish, almost frizzy hair, and darker complexions than their dark-haired, pale-skinned Japanese ancestors. That's also how they got andagi...modeled after the Portuguese malassada. At least that's what I was told...

Comment

Originally posted by malia
          From what I was told when I was younger, by my grandma who is full Okinawan (and always made sure she told people this, when they mistakenly called her "Japanese"...Okinawans sure are proud to be Okinawan, and not Japanese), the Portuguese seafarers used Okinawa as a stopover on their voyages across the Pacific, so there was a lot of "intermingling" with the natives and that's why a lot of Okinawans have reddish, almost frizzy hair, and darker complexions than their dark-haired, pale-skinned Japanese ancestors. That's also how they got andagi...modeled after the Portuguese malassada. At least that's what I was told...
          The reason why Okinawans are Okinawans and not Japanese is due to Okinawa being a separate nation from Japan. Okinawa was taken over by the Satsuma domain of Japan in 1609, but was allowed to keep a certain level of independance from the Tokugawa Shogunate. However, the Okinawan people still had to pay taxes (in the form of rice harvests) to the Japanese central government.

The Portuguese (or any other European) were not allowed to set foot in any of the Okinawan Islands. The Satsuma would not allow it. There were Satsuma officials on every island supervising rice harvests and textile production. If a European ship did dock at an island: Police action from the Satsuma would have been taken and the Europeans would have been expelled from the islands or would have been executed.

Furthermore, Okinawans are north Asian (sinitic). Okinawans do not have red hair or frizzy (tightly curled) hair! And Okinawans do not look hapa. My parents came from Okinawa. I don't know of any Okinawans from Okinawa who would describe the racial characteristics of the Okinawan population like this.

Comment

Originally posted by [mugen]
            The reason why Okinawans are Okinawans and not Japanese is due to Okinawa being a separate nation from Japan. Okinawa was taken over by the Satsuma domain of Japan in 1609, but was allowed to keep a certain level of independance from the Tokugawa Shogunate. However, the Okinawan people still had to pay taxes (in the form of rice harvests) to the Japanese central government.
            Yup. In other words, Okinawa is to Japan what Hawai'i is to the USA: a conquered territory, with little to no chance of ever becoming independent again. Except Okinawa has been ruled by Japan a lot longer than Hawai'i has been ruled by America.

Furthermore, Okinawans are north Asian (sinitic). Okinawans do not have red hair or frizzy (tightly curled) hair! And Okinawans do not look hapa. My parents came from Okinawa. I don't know of any Okinawans from Okinawa who would describe the racial characteristics of the Okinawan population like this.
            I agree about the hair, but if you look at Okinawan culture, and customs and clothing, they seem to be closer to the Taiwanese. There isn't a lot of north Asian influence that I can see. Linguistically, though, Okinawan is related to Japanese but is certainly not the same language. I remember learning Okinawan phrases at home that my Japanese language sensei at school would scratch her head at.

Now if you want to talk about European blood in the Japanese population, let's talk about Nagasaki prefecture. That's where the shogunate allowed a foreign presence, and I wouldn't be surprised if some Dutch or Portuguese traders sowed some wild oats there.
            Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; August 4, 2005, 11:43 AM.

Comment

my brada-in-law is okinawan and wen he ack up i tellem, "u know why okinawans hairy?" he'd reply, "why?" i tellem, "dey hairy coz da portagee jesuit priests wen oof all da okinawan peepz and das why u look like Frank Delima!!!" den pau he like throw blows!! LOL!! always works fo me!!
              Reggie aka pinakboy
              Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
              Raw Eats Veggie Videos
              Recipe Tube TV!
              Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Ho, betta watch out manong! Us Okinawans, we all know karate.

Comment

and a few other Japanese words, too, I hear!

Comment

Das' right.

Comment

sogyantai.....

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        Ho, betta watch out manong! Us Okinawans, we all know karate.
                        ok karate is good. but i can defeat u with mah okinawan pigfeet soup like da kine get at the HUOA festival every year and mah andagi dough ball squeezing technique!! hehehe

my brada in law lose mahney he dunno karate...
                        Reggie aka pinakboy
                        Reggie's Kaukau Time! blog
                        Raw Eats Veggie Videos
                        Recipe Tube TV!
                        Deep Fried Recipes TV!

checkem out!!

Comment

Ai, you found da weak spot -- we cannot resist one good bowl of pigs feet soup!

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                            Ai, you found da weak spot -- we cannot resist one good bowl of pigs feet soup!
                            Eh Glen, you neva did give Lurkah examples of "interesting" Okinawan food dishes! Besides da pig feet soup, what else get? Dat not so "oogy". I would try some.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

Eh Glen, you neva did give Lurkah examples of "interesting" Okinawan food dishes! Besides da pig feet soup, what else get? Dat not so "oogy". I would try some.
                              Watchu talking oogy? Pig's feet soup brok' da mout anden. Especially when da weddah come cold, notting like one steaming hot bowl of pig's feet soup wit rice and onions and potatoes fo hit da spot.

Da oni humbug paht I gotta deal wit is da stink eye I get from da rest of da household when I stay cooking da pig's feet, dey always gotta axe me, "Do you know where those feet have been?"

Comment

Working...
                              X