Vanuatu using coconut oil for fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vanuatu using coconut oil for fuel

Vanuatu, which currently spends about 20% of its annual budget on imported petroleum, is looking to use coconut oil as a replacement fuel. At the very least, the emissions from their cars must smell really really nice! Hmmm...maybe Hawai'i should grow more coconut trees. Moloka'i could become a supplier of fuel for Hawai'i! That would certainly help their economy(They have lots of coconut trees on Moloka'i).

Miulang

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...t_050118171915
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Vanuatu using coconut oil for fuel

Hawai'i has never been a big coconut producer. I suspect that it has to do with being on the extreme northern edge of the tropical zone; I wonder if they don't grow as well here as they do there. Having said that, it's pretty cool that coconut oil can be used in diesel engines without converting it to biodiesel the way you have to with other vegetable oils.

Here are some statistics on world coconut production.
    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; January 19, 2005, 10:57 AM.

Comment

see what happens when you use coconut oil for fuel? You get one earthquake.
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Another article about coconut oil biodiesel in Vanuatu. Miulang's original Yahoo! article seems to have expired.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
          see what happens when you use coconut oil for fuel? You get one earthquake.
          ^^ha ha ha

I love the idea of an ulternate fuel source that could be grown on Hawaiian farmland and provide more economic reasons to keep the land zoned for farming

Comment

Working...
          X