Bored kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bored kids

Today's Advertiser carried this Knight Ridder News Service article, Sick-day boredom can be avoided. It gives parents ten cute suggestions on how to keep your kids from getting bored when they're home sick.

I'm sorry, but I must rant now.

Where does it say that my job is to keep my kids entertained at all times? My job is to keep them fed, clothed, and housed, and to raise them to be good people. Being a playmate isn't really high on my list of parental priorities.

"Daaaad, I'm boooooored!" Sorry, kid, go read a book. Or go play with one of the uku-pile toys and games that you've received over the years. Or go draw some pictures.

And besides, you're sick! Get back in bed!

Re: Bored kids

I read the same article and was thinking about posting it myself. I didn't have the same reaction, though. I guess having three kids who are still working their way out of a block-wide flu might be part of it. The kids were desperate to do something, anything besides lie around, but ironically also didn't have the energy to do anything, anyway. Made for some grumpy people in the house - of all ages.

Besides, I might be old fashioned, but I do think it's a parent's responsibility to keep a child engaged, active, curious and happy. While I certainly agree with the "I'm your parent, not your friend" philosophy, I wouldn't put up a wall and say, "Make your own fun." For me, at least, playing with my kids is one of the few real joys I've got in my life.

That's not to say I don't wish they had off switches now and then -- especially when I'm sick, too -- but if I'm a sucker for entertaining my family (sometimes unintentially), then I'll take that title.

No, the thing that stuck in my head about the piece was the "Connect the Pox" thing. Um, sure. And why not do some phelgm painting, too! Ick.

Comment

Actually zarquon, I'm the old-fashioned one in this case. Now, I like playing with my kids too; I just don't like being told by some Doctor Spock wannabee that if I don't keep them entertained at all times, I'm a Bad Parent. Being bored is actually a valuable experience for kids: it teaches them to entertain themselves.

Comment

Just give them a computer to work on.

I'm sick right now, but I had to order a new motherboard because the current one is always giving me trouble.

I miss my music and games.
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
          Just give them a computer to work on.

I'm sick right now, but I had to order a new motherboard because the current one is always giving me trouble.

I miss my music and games.
          Ha! Mine just died, and I had to go to Ofc Depot and drop $500 on a new machine. I now have two 3GB drives to try to extract data from at some point.

Meanwhile, I've spent two days reinstalling programs and downloading mail.

'Course, a 160GB drive, 512MB memory, Pentium 4 processor, 2 USB pukas and CD/DVD-RW unit is so much more capability than I had before...
          http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
            I just don't like being told by some Doctor Spock wannabee that if I don't keep them entertained at all times, I'm a Bad Parent.
            I think you might be projecting a little bit. I don't see anything in the article at all, stated or implied, that not entertaining your kids will harm them.* It's just a simple list of ideas for when you want to entertain your kids, but might have exhausted all your usual fun and games. While none appeal to me specifically, I certainly know how it feels to run out of ideas in the "play" department.

Of course, "go make your own fun" is a perfectly valid answer to the question, "what do I do now?" If, however, you want to help avoid boredom... well, there's nothing wrong with that either.

Just because someone does {x} with or for their kids does not imply that you're a lesser parent for not doing those things. Oh, I'm sure there are people that make unfair judgements like that, but surely, the mere existence of another way shouldn't make you think you're being put upon.

* Well, the photo caption says, "When children are confined to their beds all day, they need to be entertained and kept busy." But those are the Advertiser's words, and "need" is the only thing I can imagine being problematic.
            Last edited by pzarquon; January 19, 2005, 03:31 PM.

Comment

You're right, it's not this article in particular. It just set me off. What bugs me is the entire way that the mass media approaches the subject of parenting. In fact I could easily turn this into a rant about the mass media in general, because the same thing applies to how, for example, Cosmopolitan and other "women's magazines" approach women. Do what we tell you to do, or you'll be a loser.

Comment

I don't listen to what the usually childless "experts" say I should do with my kids. They're my kids afterall and all of them have different needs. However, I've always believed that kids who are sick at home, should be in bed resting. Isn't that what any physician would advise for anyone who is sick? ~in my best Dr. Mom voice~ .. "Drink lots of fluids and bedrest."

If boredom is a problem, they can always open their textbooks and do whatever work they'd be doing if they were at school. That would certainly end their problem of being bored and in most cases speed up their recovery. ~LOL~
                Send POI

Comment

Working...
                X