Calling Nurse Adrian!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling Nurse Adrian!

(okay, maybe not that quickly, but you may never know)

My Mom placed me in a CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant) program (after I failed math for the second time, and Heald suspended me from school) so that I have something to fall back on if I can't get a job in computers, and to help her better take care of the foster elderly people

Any tips? Experience?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Calling Nurse Adrian!

Your mother is being a mom. We only want the best for our children...no matter if they're right or wrong, we stand by them. We are mothers! Good luck and I hope and pray that you do well. What about your trip to China?
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
      What about your trip to China?
      Like I said to my Mom: "We're not spending that much money just for a sight seeing tour of China".

Plus, if we spent that much money, then we might as well go to the Philippines like we planned a few years ago.

Comment

This is my advice, which I only offer because you asked. Don't think of nursing as "something to fall back on." It is an insult to the profession and to those who've dedicated their lives to it. I understand that it's not your first choice, but if you're going to pursue it at all, take it seriously.

You seem like an earnest person; apply that earnestness to the study of nursing and I think you'll be very good; otherwise, do your future patients a favor and look for something else to "fall back on."

By the way, why are you failing math? I mean, really why are you failing it? I am a high school math teacher and might be able to help out.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Adrian:
          Scrivener's right all around. Why are you failing math? Were you doing OK in your computer classes? If you were and math is your only issue, then I would take Scrivener up on his offer to help you with that.

As for being a CNA, they're very necessary but it's also a very tough job. Long hours, low pay, very physically demanding. You get to do everything that the MAs and RNs don't want to do. There will definitely be a need for more CNAs in nursing homes and assisted living places like your Mom has, because Hawai'i has one of the fastest growing populations of old people, but think about yourself 10 years from now having to support a family: is that what you really want for yourself?

If you do good in your CNA classes, I guess you could always study for an MA (medical assistant) or RN certificate. This country needs more nurses than anything else. CNAs are kind of at the bottom of the nursing ladder.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            By the way, why are you failing math? I mean, really why are you failing it? I am a high school math teacher and might be able to help out.
            All of the courses I passed (with As and Bs) were easy for me, because I learned that stuff before hand, so I just whized by it. Since I'm trying to grasp that we're working with variables and whatnot in Algebra, I'm still trying to get that in my mind (I noticed that I'm a slow learner in Math, but once I get it, it'll stick to me forever). And since we started our foster home operation at the same time (around October-November) I had to learn what to do and practice that (feed them, learn how to move them on the bed, give the medicine, etc) and that usually took a lot of my time. I did take tutoring at school during my free time, but since they only allowed 1 hour per day, I was left hanging and often, I didn't get to reinforce what I learned. I couldn't get tutoring outside of school, because I have a hour bus ride back home and usually my Mom needed me to stay home and watch the old folks. The only time I got a break, was when my Mom came home, or when my uncle came home (which was at 8:00pm, at which time I just eat dinner and sleep) so I didn't have time to do homework (but I do manage to do some before my first class).

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
              All of the courses I passed (with As and Bs) were easy for me, because I learned that stuff before hand, so I just whized by it. Since I'm trying to grasp that we're working with variables and whatnot in Algebra, I'm still trying to get that in my mind (I noticed that I'm a slow learner in Math, but once I get it, it'll stick to me forever). And since we started our foster home operation at the same time (around October-November) I had to learn what to do and practice that (feed them, learn how to move them on the bed, give the medicine, etc) and that usually took a lot of my time. I did take tutoring at school during my free time, but since they only allowed 1 hour per day, I was left hanging and often, I didn't get to reinforce what I learned. I couldn't get tutoring outside of school, because I have a hour bus ride back home and usually my Mom needed me to stay home and watch the old folks. The only time I got a break, was when my Mom came home, or when my uncle came home (which was at 8:00pm, at which time I just eat dinner and sleep) so I didn't have time to do homework (but I do manage to do some before my first class).
              You say you had to learn how to feed,move them on the bed,give medicine,etc. Are you certified to administer medications? Is the medications you give for how many patients, different times schedules, etc. Bed baths, ambulating those that can still walk for exercise, putting those bed ridden in a wheelchair, doing range of motions exercises and preventing bed sores are just a few of what is needed to care for the elderly and homecared patients. Also, the feeding times and the various diets. I took care of my 47 yr. old husband for three years until he died of Lou Gerihg's Disease. He had a trech and feeding tube. It was not easy. Presently, I take care of my 80 yr. old MAMA. It is an honor and my duty as a daughter. You, however are young and need to concentrate on your studies. You say your Care Home is a "FAMILY BUSINESS." I hope and pray that along with the care your family gives, there is also an abundance of LOVE too. All to often, people open up care homes for the financial gain. All to often, abuse is found but not reported! Do I have medical training to say all this, Yes! I went to KCC for LPN Training but graduated for a NA when my dad died. I worked for St. Francis Hospital for four years till I got burned out. It's not easy. I keep wondering about your "FAMILY BUSINESS," as you describe it. I hope, I would never be called upon, if it is ever investigated.
              Last edited by 1stwahine; January 24, 2005, 12:02 PM.

Comment

I also agree with Scrivener. As a medical professional myself (thought not a nurse, I work with many of them), I can completely vouch for the fact that if you do not LOVE what you are doing, you will burn out, quickly start taking out your frustrations on your patients and colleagues, and be extremely unhappy. I know your mom wants what is best for you, but make sure CRNA is something you really want before you commit to something like that! Nurses don't receive nearly enough credit for all the work they do or enough recognition for the dedication they bring to their jobs everyday. They are often underpaid and overworked (in my opinion), especially because of the current state of healthcare and the huge shortage. You'll always have a job in that field, but if you don't love what you do, AND if you find that it's not really serving your true talents, you'll definitely regret becoming a CRNA.

Good luck. I hope you get caught up in math.

Comment

I just came back from my first CNA class, and this will be a long 2 weeks, as I already learned some of these things at the foster home agency.

Comment

Anyway, I just came back from my first "hands on" experience, and now I know why jobs at the nursing home are in high demand. I was spitted at by a resident because he didn't want the CNA to take his blood pressure, and he spit at her and me (in the face). We had to use force to get the cuff off and luckily, we had males there to help. Of course, the feces stank when we changed them, but the body bath wasn't that bad (it made me change how I look at my body, and now I'll start a excersice program to get off the fat on my body).

A classmate of mine had to pick up some feces on the floor after it fell from the diaper (don't ask me how it happened) but she was wearing gloves. We clocked in 7 hours of work, but we actually worked for 3 hours, with a 2 hour lunch break (I wish I was getting paid). It was easy, because the CNAs there did most of the work (but we did answer the calls of the residents when they needed help) and since we had a big class (15 total) we shared the work.

If I could take pics of the facility, then I would share it here (but I'd censor the faces and what not) but I can't (my camera is too big to do it).

Comment

A classmate of mine had to pick up some feces on the floor after it fell from the diaper
                      How did that happen!?
                      If I could take pics of the facility, then I would share it here (but I'd censor the faces and what not)
                      Hope you will censor the feces, too.

(can't believe I am reading this thread just before getting ready to prepare a big serving of lasagna for dinner...)

Comment

Adrian, I don't believe one kaka dododool you are posting.
                        Last edited by 1stwahine; February 3, 2005, 04:17 PM.

Comment

I don't believe one kaka dododool you are posting.

Did you just say;

"kaka doodool you"

I am impressed.
                          why didn't I think of that.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                            Did you just say;

"kaka doodool you"

I am impressed.
                            why didn't I think of that.
                            Hi Kimo, I wasn't referring to you...not yet, that is.

Comment

How did that happen!?
                              I have no idea. I guess she was just careless and spilt it (atleast she didn't get any on her shirt, as what the main CNA director did when she was at her first clinical)

Adrian, I don't believe one kaka dododool you are posting.
                              Believe what you want, but that's the "best experience" that was told today.

Hope you will censor the feces, too.
                              If the feces smell as bad as the one "freshly made", then no one would be in the room taking pics of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X