Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liquor Commission Under Investigation...again!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquor Commission Under Investigation...again!

Once again. Guess who? It seem every so many years, the Liquor Commission goes under investigation, cleans up house then it starts all over agiain. Maybe having an all Women Commission will prevent the same problems from occurring...enticement of money,sex,food and the like from the Bar owners and waitresses...to have a blind eye to whats going on. Auwe! I would volunteer!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Liquor Commission Under Investigation...again!

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    Once again. Guess who? It seem every so many years, the Liquor Commission goes under investigation, cleans up house then it starts all over agiain. Maybe having an all Women Commission will prevent the same problems from occurring...enticement of money,sex,food and the like from the Bar owners and waitresses...to have a blind eye to whats going on. Auwe! I would volunteer!
    Aunty: Did Benny's have a bar, and if it did, did those buggahs come in and try to shake you guys down, too?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      Aunty: Did Benny's have a bar, and if it did, did those buggahs come in and try to shake you guys down, too?

Miulang
      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No, we didn't. However, there was plenty BARS during the time we were open and if I was in there, they knew better to come and buddah! That time, I like suck-um up, no pilikia or else dey was in trouble! heheheheh

Comment

Maybe having an all Women Commission will prevent the same problems from occurring...enticement of money,sex,food and the like from the Bar owners and waitresses...
        Yeah. That'd work, because women hate money and food.
        It seems to me that a good percentage of the high-profile cases involving liquor-commission scams involves clubs and bars owned and managed by women. If women business-owners are dirty enough to OFFER bribes, why wouldn't women commissioners also be as likely to ACCEPT bribes?

The truth is that the liquor commission is a meaningless regulatory agency, designed to protect American citizens from themselves. Why do we have laws regulating when, where, and how much people can drink alcoholic beverages? I understand that luxuries like alcohol are good candidates for higher taxes, and I actually don't have a problem with that, but that's about as far as regulation needs to go: the monitoring and collection of these taxes. I can't think of one constitutionally acceptable reason to deny people the right to purchase a beer at, say one o'clock in the morning from a 7-Eleven or past four o'clock in the morning at a corner bar.

I hear what people are thinking: It keeps people from getting ridiculously drunk and then endangering other citizens. That's bull, and we all know it. Driving drunk is already illegal, and so is reckless endangerment. Making illegal the behaviors that sometimes lead to it, when the behaviors themselves are inherently harmless to others, is a crock, and government agencies charged with enforcing these laws are a waste of everyone's time and money.

I worked at a small mom-and-pop store in Hilo for a while, where most of the weekend business was generated by beer and cigarettes. When I was hired, I was told I had to go to the state building downtown and pass the liquor-license test so I could sell alcohol. My manager gave me a book so that I could study the laws before taking the test.

"What if I fail the test?" I asked.

"Nobody fails the test," my manager said.

"But what if I do?"

"You won't. Nobody does."

He was right. The test was multiple-choice, and as I and the other test-takers worked on it, the proctor looked over our shoulders and said things like, "Are you sure about number twelve?" or "Take another look at sixteen."

I shielded my test from the proctor's eyes so as not to contaminate my results. When others turned their tests in, the proctor would explain why some of their answers were wrong and then give the test-takers the opportunity to re-think their answers. Until they got them right.

I don't have a problem with what the proctor did, because he was just trying to make sure people learned and understood the law. My problem is with that book of laws itself. If the laws aren't serious enough to understand thoroughly so that "nobody fails the test," why are they serious enough to have at all? A citizen is entitled to purchase a little drink whenever he or she wants it, and another citizen should be free to sell it to him whenever he or she wants it. If either citizen breaks a meaningful law because of the alcohol, he or she should be accountable. But making the drinking or the selling illegal is, at best, Orwellian. At worst, it is a denial of those inalienable rights the laws of this country are designed to protect.
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scivener.....WOW! EXACTO MUNDO! I know alot of others, particularly Korean Bar Owners and Waitresses (Oahu) who can't hardly speak and read Engish, who passed the test too! They memorized the circled numbers.

I'm off to walk. Have a great day everyone!
          Last edited by 1stwahine; January 26, 2005, 04:45 AM. Reason: just had to add it in!

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            Why do we have laws regulating when, where, and how much people can drink alcoholic beverages? If either citizen breaks a meaningful law because of the alcohol, he or she should be accountable..... But making the drinking or the selling illegal is, at best, Orwellian. At worst, it is a denial of those inalienable rights the laws of this country are designed to protect.
            very good.

I would like to see the feds swoop in on the city manager's office and the harris people and harris, and bust em all for illegal use of taxpayer money.
            and maybe leave the liquor commission on the back burner. (which borders on victimless crime stuff.)

Go after the real (and rampant) fraud.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              I would like to see the feds swoop in on the city manager's office and the harris people and harris, and bust em all for illegal use of taxpayer money.
              and maybe leave the liquor commission on the back burner. (which borders on victimless crime stuff.)
              Go after the real (and rampant) fraud.
              Aloha Bro Kimo! Are you referring to the new city manager's office? hmmm...I know Harris and cronies were bad but there seems to be a contiuance in Mufi's one too. uh, getting back to the thread. Liquor Commission, can't live with/without them! hahahahaha

Comment

Aloha Bro Kimo! Are you referring to the new city manager's office?
                well, i think the old one where just a couple weks ago, this dude justified the ridiculous expenditure of the vanity publication on harris' legacy, at 12 dollars a pop. When they coulda gotten da dang t'ing published at about 3 bux thru Hagadone or thru Hong Kong.
                and then the almost $600,000. costs on the Nuuanu neighborhood signs fit only for a mausoleum. or the cost over-run traffic calming speed nubs or whatever before pali tunnel.
                a hawaii kai neighborhood sign costing us more than $117,000. which quickly started to break, crumble and fall apart! Now we have a cheap broken goofy expensive unneccessary landmark in our neighborhood. More than a hundred grand?! Good refelection (example) on goverment waste. terrible sign is a bad reflection on our part of what was paradise.
                City hall justified all these in a too offhand manner.

One thing being so far geographically removed from the other 49 states; Hawaii american government thinks they can get away stealing with from the populace and running these lands into the ground creating a state overly depended on, and catering to the tourist dollar, and the rest of us can live in a banana republic/third world country watching our corrupt "officials" run willy nilly.
                and we have the liquor commission debacle as a good example of this.
                Last edited by kimo55; January 26, 2005, 11:50 AM.

Comment

well, i think the old one where just a couple weks ago, this dude justified the ridiculous expenditure of the vanity publication on harris' legacy, at 12 dollars a pop. When they coulda gotten da dang t'ing published at about 3 bux thru Hagadone or thru Hong Kong.
                  and then the almost $600,000. costs on the Nuuanu neighborhood signs fit only for a mausoleum. or the cost over-run traffic calming speed nubs or whatever before pali tunnel. City hall justified all these in a too offhand manner.

One thing being so far geographically removed from the other 49 states; Hawaii american government thinks they can get away stealing with from the populace and running these lands into the ground creating a state overly depended on, and catering to the tourist dollar, and the rest of us can live in a banana republic/third world country watching our corrupt "officials" run willy nilly.
                  and we have the liquor commission debacle as a good example of this.
                  Aw, don't be so hard on your local government, Kimo. Da same kine ting happens up here, too, but on a much grander scale!

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Driving drunk is already illegal, and so is reckless endangerment. Making illegal the behaviors that sometimes lead to it, when the behaviors themselves are inherently harmless to others, is a crock, and government agencies charged with enforcing these laws are a waste of everyone's time and money.
                    Yeah! For that matter, why have gun laws? Or limit who can drive? Why limit access to any drug? People should be able to do whatever the hell they want to themselves, and in their own homes. We should wait for them to do something stupid before we act. Punishment, not prevention!

Yeah, yeah, I know, a weak "slippery slope" argument. What can I say... I have a libertarian streak, too, believe it or not. My main point is, balance is key, not anarchy nor totalitarianism. Of course, that's what makes defining laws the minefield that it is.

At least here, you can get alcohol for most of the day, any day. Try living in the south, where you're cut off completely on Sunday. Hell, they even move trick-or-treating if Halloween falls on that all important day!

As far as regulating liquor sales, of course the system is a crock. Safety is the excuse. Tax revenues is the real motive.

Comment

Up here, if a drunk driver gets in an accident, they have to go to jail (no free pass) and if they were drinking at a bar, the bar/restaurant gets hit with a very heavy fine. I don't know how they assign fault if the person was bar hopping...it may be the last bar that served him gets hit with the fine since they should have known the person was intoxicated and refused service to him.

Miulang

Comment

Up here, if a drunk driver gets in an accident, they have to go to jail (no free pass) and if they were drinking at a bar, the bar/restaurant gets hit with a very heavy fine. I don't know how they assign fault if the person was bar hopping...it may be the last bar that served him gets hit with the fine since they should have known the person was intoxicated and refused service to him.

Miulang

how bout if they met some friends there who were sober, and a friend gave them the drink or three, unbeknownst to the manager, bartender or waitstaff?

Comment

how bout if they met some friends there who were sober, and a friend gave them the drink or three, unbeknownst to the manager, bartender or waitstaff?
                          I think the last establishment that served him booze would still be liable. And I think if the guy was drinking at home, if he injured or killed someone, the courts would go after the people he was partying with.

Miulang

Comment

I think the last establishment that served him booze would still be liable. And I think if the guy was drinking at home, if he injured or killed someone, the courts would go after the people he was partying with.

Miulang
                            jeez. wild.
                            that means;
                            I would be strung up if i happened upon that party, had one beer at that home and said hi to da bloke and left.

Comment

jeez. wild.
                              that means;
                              I would be strung up if i happened upon that party, had one beer at that home and said hi to da bloke and left.
                              I think the implication is, if you drive drunk and you cause harm, then you and the people who might have helped you get to that condition will be liable too. Of course, we all know that the legal system needs to be straightened out bigtime. Why do you think they put all those warning labels on everything these days? On da side of a cigarette pack: "Warning: the Surgeon General of the US states that smoking can be hazardous to your health". Plastic bags that your dry cleaning is covered in: "Warning: Not a toy. Keep away from children."...we need those warnings because there have been enough people trying to defy Darwin, getting hurt and then trying to sue for damages.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X