Foot patrols returning to Chinatown & Waikiki

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foot patrols returning to Chinatown & Waikiki

Well, Aunty Lynn, looks like you might have your wish. The HPD is going to be sending new officers out on foot patrols in Chinatown and Waikiki to give them training in the field on all types of cases.

Maybe this will help ease the concerns about drug trafficking in Chinatown and give that community a better sense of security.

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln28p.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Foot patrols returning to Chinatown & Waikiki

Has drug trafficking become a big issue in chinatown?
    There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

Originally posted by hkplayer

wellll... I dunno about 'trafficking' but most errytime I saunter around downtown, someone sidles up to me and asks if i need anything. Pressing them to commit to their laundrylist as it were, I ask "whaddya got?"
      just outta curiosity. (not that i want anything; maitais and beer are my limit)
      The inventory is sadly complete; you can get anything there. and immediately.
      As Aunty Lynn pointed out, it is too flagrant and open. Dunno if more cops on da street will be a remedy, as how would they know what two people are quietly discussing as they walk own maunakea?
      Last edited by kimo55; January 28, 2005, 08:37 AM.

Comment

WOW! FOOT PATROLS! heheheheh The story on the Advertiser says it's been ten years. WRONG,WRONG,WRONG! It's not something new. Candace and Donohue are excellent field trainers. They used to have the new recruits come to my restaurant to eat. I got close to many of them and also talked to them about the reality of what is. I used to laugh when they first come out on the street. Notebooks,club,pager,well packed with everything and anything. Then of course that awful WALK, cocky attitude, etc. By the time they finished, they become top-notch and humbled Officers! The last class I remember graduating was about July that came through, two months before we sold Benny's. I am happy that they will start patrolling again...Chinatown and Waikiki surely needs it. Chinatown had become a MECCA for illegal and drug activities! I went to Waikiki one night with a friend and while eating an ice-cream cone watching everyone on the sidewalk, I had 20 various persons come up to me and ask me what I was looking for. Many of them were teenagers on skating boards! Yep, sex,cocaine,ice,pot,etc. available for anyone who is looking! Want to know more...read my weblog @ hawaiistories.com/lynn Although the stories are not together in a group "Chinatown" with scrolling you can find many TRUE CHINATOWN STORIES and what's been happening there! Ok, I have a feeling that MAYOR MUFI and Police Chief Boisse Correa will be cleaning up alot of kakas on Oahu! That is a good feeling. I take back all my negative comments I may have had on them. Enjoy! Have a great day wherever you are, I know I will!

GOD BLESS EVERYONE!
        Last edited by 1stwahine; January 28, 2005, 08:17 AM. Reason: Because I read Miulang's Link afterwards....
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          wellll... what two people are talking quietly discussing as they walk on maunakea?
          hmmm....only if they have ME to tell them whats being discussed! Ooops, did I just write that? Yep, I understand the languages very well, maybe a bit of Voluntary Community Service on my part is in order. Bring um' on down. Eh, wait minute, do I get to carry an oozie for protection? Just trying to get funny everybody, I'm so happy that something is being done, it's a start! GOOD LUCK HPD, OFFICERS, VICE OFFICERS OF CHINATOWN SUB-STATION, AND WAIKIKI SUB-STATION! Especially my favorite, Officer Danny Sellers!

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            do I get to carry an oozie for protection?

For your protection...
            You will be issued a can of that new celebrity Dawg Chapman foam mace!

Comment

For your protection...
              You will be issued a can of that new celebrity Dawg Chapman foam mace!
              Eh, Bro Kimo...I don't need anything from that Aunty Lynn Wanna-B. I'm the original numba 1 TITA. When he came to Hotel Street to look for someone, he went in every business with a BAD ASS attitude except mine. He's just for looks and act...I'm the real thing. However, I'm not on TV by choice. Eh, how you? I hope things are going well for you. I enjoy reading your comments the past two days. Much nicer!

Comment

Eh, how you?
                I steh depressed cuz i wen get Aunty all huhu! No like see my girl take things too seriously, I steh kolohe, you know dat. No mean nuteen... Just social commentary li'dat.

I enjoy reading your comments the past two days. Much nicer!
                mahalos. i have my days....

Comment

I steh depressed cuz i wen get Aunty all huhu! No like see my girl take things too seriously, I steh kolohe, you know dat. No mean nuteen... Just social commentary li'dat.

mahalos. i have my days....
                  I 'm off for my daily drive to check out Chinatown. Funny how my two policeman nephews just came by and gave me a computer desk.Hmmm, to coincidental. I'll be back. Kimo, you are one cool guy. I never know what to expect from you. Sometimes you make me angry yet times like today...I just smile. Eh, no get ideas! We just friends!

Comment

Sometimes you make me angry...

correction, kuuipo: you allow me to make you angry...
                    i never want to hurt you.

Comment

Originally posted by hkplayer
                      FYI
                      The correct question would be: When hasn't drug trafficking been a big issue in Chinatown?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                        FYI
                        The correct question would be: When hasn't drug trafficking been a big issue in Chinatown?
                        hahahahahahaha BRIBES, payoffs, understaffed,political connections, etc. I personally think it's because it's confined to one area. Beter to control it per se? Hell NO! Truth to the matter is, our islands are infested with DRUGS BIG TIME! It has affected every family one way or the other. I'll write about my drive in Chinatown this evening...it's hilarious! Yes, the recruits are out in full swing. I still saw drug dealers and chronics...I just know where to look. That's why I'm Aunty Lynn of Chinatown!

Comment

...two months before we sold Benny's.
                          This is off-topic, but the thread I wanted to add this to was closed.
                          After seeing Lyn in action at the picnic, I had to Google Benny's to see what people have said about it. I found this nice quote in a Will Hoover article:
                          Ma is Anna Asuncion, 77, a long-time Chinatown resident who, along with Benny, her son Alvin, daughter "Aunty Lyn" and granddaughter Christy operates Benny's, about as unpretentious as an eatery could get.

The pork chop, fried chicken and cheeseburger deluxe menu is as basic as the narrow, 12-seat diner. But Benny's boasts a clientele that ranges from wayfaring stragglers to Burton White, manager of the Hawai'i Theatre. Entertainer Robert Cazimero lunches at Benny's almost daily.

Sounds like, despite my adventurous bent and my affinity for the Chinatown area, I missed out on a good one.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scrivener, Thank you for finding out about Benny's. We were just a family resturant where all could come whether entertainer, politician, celebrity, chronic, alcoholic, etc. One time I had three police officers and three drug dealers in the resturant one time talking story and grinding kaukau. Once they left the place back to their own jobs...one good, one bad. Yeah, the bad got arrested, at least they ate first.

Benny's was a place resembling where every mom or aunty cooks for the family. It was an open place so everyone could see me cook, from start to finish. Oh, how I miss it so. It's a shame that we had to close but if I ever could afford to open up a similiar place...I would.

I took a spin to Chinatown and happy to report that the New Recruits are getting better. As time goes by, they will eventually become the pros they need to be, then get transfered out for the next wet behind the ears recruits who will have to go through the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                              Sounds like, despite my adventurous bent and my affinity for the Chinatown area, I missed out on a good one.

If Benny's was around in the early 70's I prolly hit it a few times.
                              Would cut shcool and hang in chinatown often... shoot pool at da pillapheeno pool halls, cruise around da pawn shops and second hand stores... You could pick up ww2 stuff sooo cheap then. and occupied japan 'antiques' for the proberbial "pennies on the nowadays dollar".

Chinatown has a great history. I miss the chinatown of the late 60's, early 70's and of course, of the 50's, tho I wasn't walking at that time, so I couldn't see it. But it is covered a bit in "Big Jim Mclain", John Wayne's 1952 movie where you can see much of old chinatwon. Also, see "hell's half acre" a very cool old film shot in 54, all around chinatown, exclusively. stars Wendell Corey, the detective from rear window, and Elsa Lanchester who played bride of frankenstein. (actually was the bride of frankenstein's monster. But I digress...)
                              ....also thinatown was and the fire was 'documented" in "The Hawaiians" Michner's sequel to "the movie "Hawaii" (and covered the 'second half' of that magnum opus of his...
                              Last edited by kimo55; April 4, 2005, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X