Good restaurant for parties ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good restaurant for parties ...

This is still a ways a way but where is a good place to hold a pretty good sized party for about a hundred people?

requirements >
    parking: fairly easy
    food: buffett
    location: would prefer nearer to central oahu but town is fine
    price: under $15 a head
    just started: mililaniblog.com

Re: Good restaurant for parties ...

How about Natsunoya, one of the last of the old-style teahouses in Honolulu? They have good rooms, good food, and a great view from Alewa Heights.

There's also Treetops, the restaurant in the old Paradise Park facility at the back of Mānoa Valley. The atmosphere is laid-back and the forest scenery is gorgeous.

Comment

For that price, you're a bit limited. I too was thinking Treetops, where my family has held several functions. Depending on the size of your group, you can get a separate room. You might have to park in a lower lot, but there's always space. It's in town, and easy to give directions to ("Just keep going..."). It's a buffet, but it isn't bad. (Well, some people hate it, but I always leave full, so... YMMV.)

There's also Pagoda, which offers a lot of character but again the liability is probably the food. Parking could also be better.

Willows is probably my favorite mid-size group spot (when you're going for the character), but you'd have to have a much bigger budget. And parking sucks.

Comment

I know they host functions at the ballroom in the Japanese Cultural Center. You may want to call and ask about prices, but I see ads for them all the time on TV.

Comment

Dave & Buster's has several interesting packages and they're nice to work with. I'm not sure about the fifteen bucks, but it's definitely worth checking out.

Chan's Buffet in the airport-area has been known to host private functions. You're not going to get anything mind-blowing, but it's decent comfort food and it's all you can eat.

Then there's Perry's Smorgy in Waikiki. I think it's twelve bucks. Again, nothing you couldn't make at home (except maybe the prime rib), but cheap and plentiful.

Bonus information: If you're not married to the buffet idea, I'm a big fan of small- to mid-size gatherings at Elephant and Castle, a place I've always heard so-so things about but where I planned my faculty Christmas party two years ago. The manager's really great to work with, the food is good, the atmosphere is festive, and there are pool tables and dart-boards. Personally, I thought the food was excellent for the price.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

If daytime I can recommend the Waioli Tea Room. The price is great, food is great, service great, atmosphere great! Terrific, delicious buffet. Big enough for a medium sized party.

Robert Louis Stevenson grass shack was out back. It got blown down by windstorm a while back. They were supposed to rebuild.

My yakudoshi was held there. Totally happy. The atmosphere is relaxed, laid back, casual, yet elegant.

Blaine
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

I'd go with Willows.

Comment

Working...
              X