Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carnival Time..R U Going???

http://www.punahou.edu/index.cfm?fus...age&pageID=692

Carnival Time once again. check out the links above.
    It will tell you the time/place & location.

Any one going??

My hubby & I will try to make it. Sounds like fun & good food.

Hope to you see there.

Aloha.

Serenity.
    Aches & Pains
    (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Re: Carnival Time..R U Going???

We used to live two blocks away, and since the carnival would take over the neighborhood anyway, we'd walk over. We also would occasionally buy a sack of malasadas and ship 'em FedEx to some friends in Oregon who miss them something fierce.

This year, who knows. A short walk to the fun is one thing, a 22-mile drive to fight for parking is another thing entirely.

Comment

Do the Punahou 11th graders still run the carnival? If so, I'll pass. Last time I went, some screechy girls had control of the PA system. They were making fools of themselves and giving me a headache.

On the other hand, the malasadas were excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Do the Punahou 11th graders still run the carnival? If so, I'll pass. Last time I went, some screechy girls had control of the PA system. They were making fools of themselves and giving me a headache.

On the other hand, the malasadas were excellent.
        Unfortunately for my hubby & I, we experienced the same things from last year. I jope that it is much better this year. If any thing else, we will probably come in for the good food.

Aloha.
        Aches & Pains

Comment

Almost fifteen years here and I have never been to a Punahou Carnival.

Oh well, never mind, I haven't climbed Diamond Head or been to Pearl Harbor, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert

Oh well, never mind, I haven't climbed Diamond Head or been to Pearl Harbor, either.

been here so long, can't remember IF i have been there. prolly hit da carnival small keed time, back in da early 60's...
            Pearl harbor, many times. DH hike, once. I think. been on so many hikes, forget what i wen see arready.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert

Aww , don't say that. Should try to be positive about your self, & make a goal of it. Atleast check out the punahou carnival one time. If you have a loved one who wants to go, bring 'em along. If not for the rides, atleast for the good food. Later on down the road, when you are up to it, perhaps try for either of the 2: Diamond head &/or Pearl Harbor by yourself, with a friend, or a loved one. Who knows, might be worth the effort someday.
              I know I always set a goal for myself. If not now, perhaps later down raod.
              Setting a goal with unlimited time doesn't permit me to do it instantaneously.

Aloha.
              Aches & Pains

Comment

At least go for the food, Albert! I've never been to the carnival either, but I hear their malasadas are outstanding. And I guess they have all kinds of mango products too. Probably other local kine grinds, and it's for a good cause (don't you want more kids like Barack Obama to represent Hawai'i someday? )

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  Last time I went, some screechy girls had control of the PA system. They were making fools of themselves and giving me a headache.
                  Oh, that's always the case. Students pay a scrip to have whatever they want (within bounds of taste, most of the time) read out over the PA system. Usually it's ribbing another student about a crush or some quip about cute boys. Sadly, none of the folks they put behind the microphone have any voice talent whatsoever, but that's not the point. It's just aural graffiti, and exactly the sort of things teenagers go for.

You only hear it if you stay on the "games and food" side of the fence, though. On the funway (or whatever it's called), it's just the usual carnival ride music, screams, and bad hip hop (on the Music Express).

Last time I went, it must've been a full moon or something, 'cause everywhere I turned, someone was shirtless and swearing and being hauled off by cops. And someone'd been stabbed or killed at a carnival a few years back, right? Hard to believe the same event can attract families and kids and drunk thugs.

The malasadas alone are almost worth it, though.

Comment

The "Sound Booth," as it is called, is a valuable service, and my impression of the talent there is considerably better than the ones expressed here so far. A graduate of another private school on the island, I am certainly no Punahou cheerleader, but I have always been impressed by the kids who work the soundbooth.

My all-time favorite sound-booth announcement: So and So, please report to the meat-sticks, or you'll become one! Your shift started fifteen minutes ago!

Pzarq is right about not hearing it from other areas of the carnival, though. In my senior year, I planned to have the soundbooth crew read over the PA my request for a prom date, but it was supposed to be while my carnival-date and I were on the ferris wheel, and you couldn't hear diddly from up there. So I asked her myself while we were at the top. It was Valentine's Day, and we'd just come from a wedding both of our families had been invited to.

The juniors do still run the food-booths. The seniors do the variety show. It was a tradition for a very long time that the seniors gathered for a raindance the night before the carnival, hoping the wet weather would drive people indoors to the variety show. This led to something called "The Taking of the Hill," where the juniors tried to break up the raindance. This, of course, eventually led to the Taking of the Hill spreading out to the neighborhood, and the classes got in huge trouble when Manoa residents complained about ruined gardens and eggs on windows. That was in 1992 or 1993, I think. I am not sure what happened to either the raindance tradition or the Taking of the Hill as a result.

Anyone?
                    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

One person's account of that night in 1993:
                      "But that wasn't the end of it. The dean of Punahou's upper school called me and asked what the students could do to make amends. That's when I thought of the garden. The kids worked for two weeks clearing the weeds and moving rocks. It was hard work, and I was satisfied that they had paid their dues," Fassler said.

(Star-Bulletin)
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

The search engine is still working good PZ.

So who's going?

I'm amazed the rain hasn't started yet

Comment

My mom and I want to go. But she has stupid logic. If dad won't go, which he never wants to because he's lazy, then she won't go. Even if he gives her the money, she won't go. And if he DOES go with us, she'll just fight with him, and say "you should've just stayed home."
                          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I just got back from the Punahou Carnival--I'd never been before. My boyfriend, a veteran carnival visitor, was reluctant to go because of the crowds, the parking the situation, the fights, etc, but I dragged him along anyway. I usually do First Friday Gallery Hop, but I figured I could check that out the art galleries next month instead.

We decided to walk from Waikiki. I'm glad we chose that option when I saw the traffic. I figured it would be bad; Punahou is such a congested area in general. I'd hate to be waiting to make any kind of a turn at that intersection near the school!

Had a malasada (thank goodness for the express line for those of us only buying three malasadas or less!), a vegetarian gyro (yay! Wasn't expecting that! Their gyro sauce--is there cream cheese in it? It certainly didn't taste like any traditional tzatziki sauce...it was much too sweet.), a vegetarian taco salad (another surprise, they had some made up already, but the ranch sauce instead of sour cream--blech Wished there were beans or green onions too). Took home a slice of pizza because I had some extra scrip to use up (standard food fare there...nothing special about the generic, bland pizza). My boyfriend had the traditional gyro, Portuguese bean soup, and corn. Some of the stuff was definitely pricey, and ya live and learn about which food choices are worth the the money and which ones aren't, I guess. I was hoping to find a chicken sandwich or a chicken gyro, but I was outta luck tonight.

Lots of crowds, but I didn't see any fights. It was early though...I was only there from 7:15pm until around 8:45pm or so.

There were still screechy girls on the PA, but I was able to tune them out. The student video presentations mingled with plugs for the carnival were a nice touch that I wasn't expecting.

The White Elephant sale was bigger than I thought it would be. If I have time, I might go visit the sale tent again tomorrow--this time without my impatient boyfriend in tow.

Of course, ran into various friends...that's always the fun part.

Hope everyone else here who goes has a nice and safe trip to the carnival!

Comment

an east Indian... with an impatient boyfriend. Opposites do attract...

Comment

Working...
                              X