Kung Hee Fat Choy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kung Hee Fat Choy!

I don't know if I'm spelling it right but Happy Chinese New Years everybody. The sad part is the festivities in Chinatown is right smack in the middle of Big Time Illegal Activities! Yep, how I wish I could go with a bullhorn and tell the people there, "Eh, go in that door or that one and see whats really happening! They got more than FIREWORKS AND MERCHANDISE!"hehehehehehehehe HPD should pull a raid tonight! nah, they wouldn't...RAINING!

It's 2:20 pm. It's raining cats and dogs! I bet the Chinese Chamber of Commerce is pist! Gurantee they ain't making money like previous years. Only the Drug Dealers can make money tonight and the chronics can smoke anyplace. The illegal bussiness will generate more than usual too acting all innocent. Gosh, I wish I could go there to see the action but I not dat dumb....
    Last edited by 1stwahine; January 29, 2005, 01:22 PM. Reason: I like das why...
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: Kung Hee Fat Choy!

Which reminds me, the US Post Office is printing all twelve of Clarence Lee's Chinese New Year postage stamps on one sheet. I love those designs.

Comment

It was very quiet in our "Chinatown" (now called the International District) up here today. I suspect this town will celebrate Chinese New Year next weekend. Anyway, to celebrate a little early, we went and had dim sum. The usual, har gow, siu mai, hom bao, some kind of pork meatballs with tangerine peel inside, pot stickers, chien doi and bok tong go. Yummy! And tonight, I'm making red cooked pork. With the leftovers, I'll probably be making manapua tomorrow.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        It was very quiet in our "Chinatown" (now called the International District) up here today. I suspect this town will celebrate Chinese New Year next weekend. Anyway, to celebrate a little early, we went and had dim sum. The usual, har gow, siu mai, hom bao, some kind of pork meatballs with tangerine peel inside, pot stickers, chien doi and bok tong go. Yummy! And tonight, I'm making red cooked pork. With the leftovers, I'll probably be making manapua tomorrow.

Miulang
        Miulang, after reading your post...I got hungry. I had a Ponadesia, I'm Potorican, Filipino, Cherokee, & Spanish! It's like an apple pie with pork,olives and spices simmered separately) put into a dough shaped like 1/2 moon then fried in oil till golden brown. Getting back to Chinese New Years, It's the year of the Rooster? How they figure that again? I'm 1956...old yeah?
        Last edited by 1stwahine; January 29, 2005, 03:18 PM. Reason: why?

Comment

Yeah, it's supposed to be the Year of the Rooster.

Miulang

P.S. And for anyone who wants to know what Chinese astrological sign they are, go here: http://www.new-year.co.uk/chinese/calendar/rooster.htm
          Last edited by Miulang; January 29, 2005, 03:37 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The Chinese New Year begins Wednesday, Feb. 9. But a number of businesses will be celebrating at pau hana time on Friday, Feb. 4. I'll be there, 'cause my office is there, li see and earplugs in hand.

The Year of the Rooster is one for caution and tradition -- avoid get-rich-quick schemes and speculative ventures, double check your figures, and do things the way you should do them... not the way you want to do them. There will be more struggles than you'll want for only modest gains, but if you stay the path, you'll still end the year ahead.

Or, at least, that's what the calendars in Chinatown windows have been telling me.

Comment

My mistake. I assumed it was today cause the Island Weekly said Saturday on it's front cover. I didn't look inside to read cause I usually use that paper to wipe dirty windows...plus the front pic of Carol Channing looks scary. Guess the Silent Community of Chinatown goes on as usual. I swear I heard drums and fireworks from Kukui Side and the Cultural Plaza. Then again, you know me...heheheheh I'm a Rooster, this is my year! I feel it!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                The Chinese New Year begins Wednesday, Feb. 9. But a number of businesses will be celebrating at pau hana time on Friday, Feb. 4. I'll be there, 'cause my office is there, li see and earplugs in hand.

The Year of the Rooster is one for caution and tradition -- avoid get-rich-quick schemes and speculative ventures, double check your figures, and do things the way you should do them... not the way you want to do them. There will be more struggles than you'll want for only modest gains, but if you stay the path, you'll still end the year ahead.

Or, at least, that's what the calendars in Chinatown windows have been telling me.
                I posted something in the Bush Watch thread about what the Chinese astrologers and the Hindu astrologers are predicting for people born in July, 1946. We'll see how prophetic those predictions are at the end of this year. Really sounds like maybe anybody with the Rooster/Cancer combo should stay in bed all year!
                Last edited by Miulang; January 29, 2005, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                  My mistake. I assumed it was today cause the Island Weekly said Saturday on it's front cover. I didn't look inside to read cause I usually use that paper to wipe dirty windows...plus the front pic of Carol Channing looks scary. Guess the Silent Community of Chinatown goes on as usual. I swear I heard drums and fireworks from Kukui Side and the Cultural Plaza. Then again, you know me...heheheheh I'm a Rooster, this is my year! I feel it!
                  Awww, I checked the site. I'm a MONKEY, was last year!

Comment

Awww, I checked the site. I'm a MONKEY, was last year!
                    Actually, you are on the "cusp" of Monkey/Rooster. Because your birthday is in January, it would depend on when the Chinese New Year actually started the year you were born (unlike the Western New Year which always starts on Jan. 1, the Chinese New Year depends on lunar cycles). Those of us on the cusp tend to exhibit (and also experience) the good and bad from both years.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Actually, you are on the "cusp" of Monkey/Rooster. Because your birthday is in January, it would depend on when the Chinese New Year actually started the year you were born (unlike the Western New Year which always starts on Jan. 1, the Chinese New Year depends on lunar cycles). Those of us on the cusp tend to exhibit (and also experience) the good and bad from both years.

Miulang
                      Eh, December was the worst of a BAD year for me. January has been quite interesting and very good...I am hopeful now. My neighbor just got back from Chinatown. She said it's in full swing. The celebration is also at the Chinese Cultural Center so, I wasn't hearing things. OK people, if you want to go, it's till 10:00 pm. Also, next week too. Next week will be mostly Dragon Dancing in front of bussinesses.
                      Last edited by 1stwahine; January 29, 2005, 05:16 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

It's like an apple pie with pork,olives and spices simmered separately) put into a dough shaped like 1/2 moon then fried in oil till golden brown.
                        Oh, you mean an empanada? Yes, those are delicious.

Miulang

Comment

I do wonder why Chinatown staged such a premature celebration.

Comment

Here's Bob Kraus' explanation for why Honolulu started the Chinese New Year festivities early. ("Hawai'i celebrates Chinese New Year early; San Francisco celebrates it late"...) Even though Aunty Lynn said she heard fire crackers in Chinatown yesterday, I guess the big parade was cancelled because of the rain?

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/current/ln/bob

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                              I do wonder why Chinatown staged such a premature celebration.
                              I wonder why too actually. We wont be starting anything here, i believe, until the week of if not the day before (ie. the 8th). Mom usually starts her ancestor praying a few days before the day of i think?
                              There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

Working...
                              X