H.T. nuinui

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.T. nuinui

Seems to me hawaiithreads is da big daddy of all Hawaiian discussion web sites... average 25 to 45 or so viewers at any given time, whereas others seem to have about 5 or so at a time.
    Just curious; exactly how many other on line Hawaii or even polynesian talk story sites are there out in cyperspace? and who are they?

Re: H.T. nuinui

One you'll find promoted here quite often is the AlohaWorld Ohana Lanai, where Hawaii is the unifying theme, but the demographics are specifically island expatriates. That is, they specialize in helping former Hawaii residents come to terms with being away from home, organizing gatherings in L.A. or Las Vegas, trading recipes and tips on where to get local food, and remarking on Hawaii headlines from a "what's up back home" perspective. You'll find a much more intimate, close-knit family there, where everyone posts pictures of their kids and writes in pidgin. You have to register before you can even read the discussions.

HawaiiThreads.com was initially set up more for people in Hawaii, or who want to come here... but of course we've been blessed with many members who share their stories even from afar. I'd like to think we talk about other things as much as we do about Hawaii specifically... more like a get-together at a local restaurant rather than a "Hawaii Club" party at a Mainland university. We've got a more "generic" forum model, I suppose, open to everyone but also more carefully moderated.

What else is out there? Not much. Part of the reason I started HawaiiThreads.com was because I was a regular participant in other discussion boards (focused on specific gadgets or hobbies), but couldn't find one exactly like... well, what HawaiiThreads.com is now.

There are Hawaii-based discussion boards for narrow topics, however, from the local race scene to local sports to Hawaiian identity. The folks at KonaWeb have the definitive message board for folks planning on relocating to or visiting the Big Island. The Honolulu Advertiser has forums, too, but the topic areas are pretty narrow and, for obvious reasons, they have to moderate pretty aggressively.

Pretty much any website with an active community can have a message board, but I was insane enough to think folks might like a discussion forum for its own sake, and one where the topic is "everything."

Comment

Originally posted by admin
      Pretty much any website with an active community can have a message board, but I was insane enough to think folks might like a discussion forum for its own sake, and one where the topic is "everything."
      And it's appreciated. Thanks for setting all this up!

Comment

Originally posted by admin
        One you'll find promoted here quite often is the AlohaWorld Ohana Lanai, where Hawaii is the unifying theme, but the demographics are specifically island expatriates.
        and the layout is un-user friendly.
        clik on that link and all ya see is abuncha lines and copy and mostly colored bars. No subject menu easily and readily available like H.T....

Comment

Go reboot da computer wen you go see dat, Kimo! Da layout stay very similar to HT anden.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Go reboot da computer wen you go see dat, Kimo! Da layout stay very similar to HT anden.

Miulang

reboot.
            reboot?

Vas ist los meine freund?!

oh. you on a pc, right?

Comment

Working...
            X