60 Minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 Minutes

I WAS BUSY WRITING A STORY AND JUST GOT THE END OF THE REPORT FROM THAT GRUMPY OLD GUY ON 60 MINUTES...THEY WORK LESS IN HAWAI'I AND ..... THAN SOMETHING, SOMETHING, SOMETHING. ANYBODY GOT THE WHOLE MESSAGE? I DON'T THINK WE WORK ANY LESS THAN ANY PLACE ELSE. WE PAY ALOT MORE IF ANYTHING! HURRY UP, I LIKE SEND ONE EMAIL TO CBS!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Re: 60 Minutes

Originally posted by 1stwahine
    I WAS BUSY WRITING A STORY ...

eh. aunty:
    how come you angry?!

http://42.com/rasmusoftwares/shopsite/allcaps.html

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      You got me this time KIMO...thanks, I needed to laugh.

Comment

Here's what Rooney said, from the "60 Minutes" site at CBS.com:

Weather is always interesting, and snow is the most interesting bad weather we get. There isn’t any other weather that's so much fun...

One of the interesting things about all this is that people who live where there's a lot of bad weather, ice and snow, seem to get more done than people who live where it's sunny and warm all day.

Hawaii is a great state for a vacation -- really lovely. But I don’t think people who live in Hawaii do as much work as the people do who live in Alaska, Maine or North Dakota.
        Who knows. He may be right. Working hard is a good thing. But so is having a happy life. And I'm pretty sure I woudn't be as happy in North Dakota. To each their own.

Comment

I think Andy Rooney is right. A friend of mine, who moved here from Oklahoma, commented for years on the number of holidays we get here (commented, not complained!) and I got kinda annoyed one Kuhio Day, so I did a check for state holidays in Oklahoma, certain that every state must have similar numbers of state holidays. I was wrong. Oklahoma, and many other states I checked out, have pretty much only the usual federal holidays as official state holidays. These other states don't take days off from work to honor royalty (Kamehameha Day and Kuhio Day) or statehood (Statehood Day, formerly Admissions Day).

Now, if you ask me, the fact that we take so many holidays is a good thing. Good for the economy, good for our general health, and good for our mental health. We have the longest expected life-span in the nation, and I don't think it's because of Portuguese sausage and kalua pig.
          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I took it as an insult due to his referring that "WE" don't work hard as those from the other states! Even if we are happy, do we tend to work less? I would think that we worker harder...like the Sever Dwarfs singing,"Hi He, Hi Ho, Off to Work We Go!" Have a great week everyone! Remember to be HAPPY!

Comment

It is true that people who live in warmer climates tend to move more slowly (the body's way of compensating) to keep from burning up. Couple that with high humidity, who WOULD want to move quickly?

And I really do think people in Hawai'i are more stress-free than people up here on the Mainland. ("Ain't no beeg ting")

So wat if you work outside you work more slow? Eh, gotta conserve da energy, anden! Those of you who work in climate controlled offices have no excuse: work as hard and be as stressed out as the rest of us in colder climes!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Mom reminded me that a few years ago Rooney's daughter was robbed while here on a vacation, and that he had some unkind (legitimately so, I'd say) things to say about Hawai'i back then. So this may be residual.
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                  Mom reminded me that a few years ago Rooney's daughter was robbed while here on a vacation, and that he had some unkind (legitimately so, I'd say) things to say about Hawai'i back then. So this may be residual.

probably.

Rooney: " people in Hawaii dont do much work at all (to find the robbery suspects who stole from my daughter...)"

Comment

And the locals would say, "Lolo tourist! Why she neva wen go hide her stuffs so nobody can cockaroach 'em den?!"

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

There's a long tradition, dating back to the bad old colonial days, of saying that it's the cold-climate Northern Europeans who do all the real work, and that everyone in the tropics is lazy. Obviously, the idea hasn't gone away.

Comment

I am lazy.
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                          There's a long tradition, dating back to the bad old colonial days, of saying that it's the cold-climate Northern Europeans who do all the real work, and that everyone in the tropics is lazy. Obviously, the idea hasn't gone away.
                          It's not all myth, Glenn. It's a physiological fact that people in colder climates have to move more in order to keep their body temperature higher (other wise they would freeze to death). People in warmer climates need to slow down (and drink lots of water!) in order to keep their internal body thermostats regulated so they don't burn out.

The observations of our Puritanical, colonial founders was based on an observation that was later proved to be scientific fact.

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            People in warmer climates need to slow down (and drink lots of water!)

Miulang
                            or drink other things.

The icon of the beachcomber casually stretched out under a palm tree with a worn woven hat atop his head, holding a maitai.... back a while ago... was almost as ubiquitous an image as was the sombrero'ed pancho wearing guy sleeping against the cactus, representing the supposed laziness of south o da border...

Comment

Movement does not equal productivity. Besides, moving more to keep warm can just as easily mean that energy is being wasted on comfort and survival, when it could've been devoted more wholly to "work."

Comment

Working...
                              X