Our Islands and Their People

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our Islands and Their People

I just ran across a fascinating item on auction at eBay. It's a book from 1899 called Our Islands and Their People, published in the USA, about Hawai'i, the Philippines, and Cuba. As the introduction says:

"Embracing perfect photographic and descriptive representations of the people and the islands lately acquired from Spain, including Hawaii and the Philippines; also their material resources and productions, homes of the people, their customs and general appearance, with many hundred views of landscapes, rivers, valleys, hills and mountains, so complete as to practically transfer the islands and their people to the pictured page."
    Considering how the politics of US imperialism and Hawaiian sovereignty have played out over the last century, it's interesting to see what it all looked like to people at the time.

If you're interested in this link, even if you don't intend to bid on the book, save the page while the auction is still active so you can grab the auction text (with full Table of Contents) and the scanned pages.

Re: Our Islands and Their People

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    I just ran across a fascinating item on auction at eBay. It's a book from 1899 called Our Islands and Their People, published in the USA, about Hawai'i, the Philippines, and Cuba. As the introduction says:
    I have this book. great pictures/engravings. facinating perspective on Hawaii at that time.

Comment

Tell us more, Kimo! What kind of attitudes did they have back then? Was there a political agenda behind it?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
        Tell us more, Kimo! What kind of attitudes did they have back then? Was there a political agenda behind it?

hooo. good fun! An excuse to dig into my favorite books!
        tellya da t'root, I haven't delved in to that tome in about 2 years. It is buried deep in storage. Now, I'm jonesin' for it and da purdee peechas..
        Will tell all when i yank da book out.

This book, closing on ebay at the end of nine days' time, is an important addition to the library of anyone interested in Hawaii or Phillipine history. Pics you will not see anywhere else. 2 volumes for 75 clams!? cheap! curious to see its cost at close.
        dig that shot of DH from punch bowl!

There are so many publications from back then, up to the 1950's that really should be reprinted. great stuff by good writers and fabulous illutrations, photos and engravings we don't see anymore.
        Last edited by kimo55; January 31, 2005, 09:01 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=kimo55]hooo. good fun! An excuse to dig into my favorite books!
          tellya da t'root, I haven't delved in to that tome in about 2 years. It is buried deep in storage. Now, I'm jonesin' for it and da purdee peechas..
          Will tell all when i yank da book out.
          QUOTE]

Hurry up KIMO! Find the book and let us know ...pictures if can too or descriptions of it.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
          X