Racial tensions at Radford High School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racial tensions at Radford High School

Hawai'i is considered the "Melting Pot" which means that everybody gets along with everybody else...most of the time.

I realize that there has always been underlying conflict between races in Hawai'i, but rarely does it get to this point. Sad to see that the kids at Radford have to resort to violence. Where do their misperceptions about people come from? The kids' parents? Their friends? The community?

Being a teenager is a pretty dicey time anyway. All kinds of temptations surround you (drugs, alcohol, smoking), and peer pressure (wanting to belong to a group) just makes things worse.

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln10p.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Racial tensions at Radford High School

Originally posted by Miulang
    Hawai'i is considered the "Melting Pot" which means that everybody gets along with everybody else...most of the time.

that's the supposed theory, most of the time. but back when I wen go Central and McKinley, had fights, small and large altercations weekly. Just a part of growing up. part of life in the melting pot. No one sued. Now a federal case is made outta it erry time. back then, it just toughened up the students and made them learn how to deal with it. Rather than running to mommy or calling in the authorities and lawyers.
    Sheesh.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      that's the supposed theory, most of the time. but back when I wen go Central and McKinley, had fights, small and large altercations weekly. Just a part of growing up. part of life in the melting pot. No one sued. Now a federal case is made outta it erry time. back then, it just toughened up the students and made them learn how to deal with it. Rather than running to mommy or calling in the authorities and lawyers.
      Sheesh.
      WOW! I got to agree. I went to Kalakaua and Mckinley, GO TIGERS! Yep, back then, we fight against schools, amongst each other, even kill Haole Day. Nothing ever came to this extreme, and parents suing? Give me a break! It's a part of growing up. But then again, today is different from when I was going to school.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

The whole "everybody gets along in Hawai'i" meme is getting ragged at the edges. I think a lot of the truth of it originally was because everybody (read: all the different plantation-laborer ethnic groups) was in the same boat and had shared the same experiences. These days that's just not true anymore. Hawai'i society is stratifying again, and now you've got people who barely know anything about each other living in close proximity.

A Farrington High grad I know told me about how, at UH-Mānoa, she met an 'Iolani boy from Kailua who was embarrassingly naive and sheltered and asked her, wide-eyed, about all the gang violence in Kalihi. Really, they came from two different worlds.

This Radford incident is just another example, which is exacerbated by the culture clash and the extreme lack of exposure of most local kids to black people.

Comment

Part of my experience on this thread allows me to learn the cultural aspect of hawaii. Even though I always considered hawaii to be the melting pot of all melting pots (certainly moreso than canada), it is unfortunate that there is violence and racial tensions amongst its people.
          I think no matter where we live there will always be racial tension and/or teases, I just always wished that there was less of this in hawaii. Nonetheless, it happens everywhere...I cant see this to be a factor in dissuading me to relocate there someday.
          There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

Originally posted by hkplayer
            ...I always considered hawaii to be the melting pot of all melting pots .

as rap points out in his video, that's pretty much a misnomer. It's more like a tossed salad, all meexemup insai.
            Not much melting done, aside from the decades ago cultural assimilation of languages, food, customs, etc.. ( hemo da sleepahs... japanee words mixed in pidgin...etc..)

the "melting pot" thing along with the overinstitutionalised, conceptualised concept of "the aloha spirit" expounded by the visitor tourist bureau, is to a very large degree, pure marketing, heavy exploitation of, and playing up aspects of island life that are some of the marked differences we have with the mainland.
            Last edited by kimo55; February 2, 2005, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Educator friends of mine are debating this quite a bit this week. The Radford incident has three basic theories.

The "racial" (general anti-black) angle was the most loudly proclaimed, mentioned explicitly and early by KITV (which happened to have cameras rolling on Monday when several follow-up fights broke out on campus). The school seems to think the stronger faction dividing lines are "gang related," and in fact that the gangs in conflict are not so clearly separated by race. And lots of folks feel it's more a "cultural" conflict, as in "military versus local," again with race as an element but not the deciding factor.

I think race relations are an issue in Hawaii, and I agree that the "happy melting pot of cultures" stereotype/sell is hogwash. And this incident certainly provides a basis for more attention and discussion. But unlike the Radford parents, I'm not ready to declare the Radford fights as proof of a "race war" or anything, nor something with which to condemn the entirety of the school or the island community as a whole.

Comment

If you look at military dependents in Hawai'i, you'll find some like our own Memorylane who love it here, but I think that you'd probably find quite a few who hate it and can't wait to get back to the States. And you can't really blame them; after all, they didn't ask to come here in the first place. Dad or Mom got assigned to Schofield, or Hickam, or Pearl, or K-Bay (how I hate that neologism) and so here they are in a new school amidst new kids who they have little in common with. Hawai'i isn't unique in this respect; this whole military-vs-local thing gets played out in military towns all over the country.

Comment

...ah, the famous contemporary cliche and myth:
                  It's a melting pot here. and everyone gets along in this pot. and everyone shows and extends to you the distinctive, exclusive aloha spirit, each moment of the day.
                  nope. Nice image, but that's a product of years of ad agency propaganda.

You are familiar with the rat tail biting syndrome aren't you?
                  Put a few rats in a large box. watch 'em all get along. Put many rats in a smaller box, watch them TRY to get along, but soon, we see them biting each other's tails. What we got here on this island, is a prime example of the growing tail biting syndrome. This finite land mass covered with too many people, supposedly governed by growth oriented politicians with the idea, that we can overpopulate and over develop this fragile land, implement foreign laws, rules, regulations, lifestyles, living parameters, traffic systems all foreign to these delicate Hawaiian islands, previously owned and populated by a people that highly respected each and every aspect of nature, the land, and all it's activity; volcanic, the ocean, rain, the reef system, the plants, the animals...
                  Look how this has been usurped by the foreigners. Now, ask yerself. WHY should anyone expect everyone to be showing your idea of aloha spirit each day.
                  Or why wouldn't you expect to all of a sudden be dissapointed to learn, to realise and think to yourself: "maybe it's not the paradise it was marketed to me as, maybe I won't after all, grace the islands with my presence?"

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                    Hawai'i isn't unique in this respect; this whole military-vs-local thing gets played out in military towns all over the country.
                    ....ah, but it's a little stronger here. And the implications are different.
                    Ask Haunani Kay Trask.
                    There are many that have very strong feelings re; the military presence on Hawaiian islands. Many feel, among other things, the Military should pay rent to Hawaiians for the land use and its destruction. Many don't like the fact Waianae is being used (and has been for quite a while), as a Nuclear Arms Storage facility.
                    yes. it's not so much racial as it is cultural.

Comment

....ah, but it's a little stronger here. And the implications are different. Ask Haunani Kay Trask.
                      Do you think that filters down to schoolkids, though? My impression is that kids don't pay that much attention to politics.

Comment

Do you think that filters down to schoolkids, though? My impression is that kids don't pay that much attention to politics.
                        Politics?
                        POLITICS!?
                        We don' need no steenkin' politics!

Comment

If you look at military dependents in Hawai'i, you'll find some like our own Memorylane who love it here, but I think that you'd probably find quite a few who hate it and can't wait to get back to the States.
                          This isn't quite relevant, but I always marvel at my wife and her brother. Both grew up military brats, moved often up and down the east coast. One (my wife) moved here and fell in love with the islands. The other (her brother) got stationed here, and quite frankly can't wait to be shipped somewhere else. Talking to him, even, it's clear the discomfort is a mixture of many things.

"Culture clash" is as much "haole-vs.-Pacific Islander" as it is "military vs. civillian" - the military might seem fairly segregated, but compared to other "military towns," I think people stationed here have to adapt more to civilian influence than elsewhere, where military people can live their whole lives inside a military bubble. So I agree that some of this stuff is universal.

There's also the fact that some people want to come here, while others are put here. The aspect of choice in where you call home is pretty fundamental in what your attitude is going to be.
                          "maybe it's not the paradise it was marketed to me as, maybe I won't after all, grace the islands with my presence?"
                          Well, like I said, Hawaii ain't the happy rainbow of warm fuzzies we're sometimes made out to be, but I think we do a lot of things right... and I think we have a lot to offer the rest of the world, and that conversely, the rest of the world can bring a lot of good to Hawaii.

I don't discourage people from coming to Hawaii, I just like to make sure they come with both eyes open. And I sure as hell am glad my wife decided to get on that plane over a decade ago!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            I don't discourage people from coming to Hawaii, I just like to make sure they come with both eyes open.

yep. Both eyes wide open, and the one mouth firmly shut.
                            One thing islanders get tired of is the loudmouth pushy overly opinionated braggart blowhard tourist that just has gotta tell everyone how it's done on the mainland. And give their unsolicited opinion and spew their assumptions, commands, demands, ridicule, vitriol, sarcasm and denigration on each and every thing here. Because it is different and foreign to them. And therefore, inferior.
                            (it's not just tourists. We see this underlying current in many venues; magazine, newspaper, talk show, comedian coverage and travelogues on Hawaii among others; where that little smarmy haole girl, I think samantha brown is it? whenever she reviews the islands.)
                            This is one of the many sources of anti-foreigner/mainlander sentiments felt here.
                            (of course, there are exceptions to the rule. But this personification of the stereotypical average tourist is reinforced daily by so many examples.)
                            Last edited by kimo55; February 2, 2005, 10:28 AM.

Comment

One thing islanders get tired of is the loudmouth pushy overly opinionated braggart blowhard tourist that just has gotta tell everyone how it's done on the mainland. And give their unsolicited opinion and spew their assumptions, commands, demands, ridicule, vitriol, sarcasm and denigration on each and every thing here.
                              Ah, yes, as opposed to the respectful, humble, modest, earnest, and honest enlightened methods of expression exhibited by locals, right Kimo?

Comment

Working...
                              X