Daiei Daze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daiei Daze

As noted here several months ago, A&B has completed the purchase of the land underneath the Daiei in Ala Moana. Earlier, A&B said that if it purchased the land, it wouldn't redevelop it right away because there are still 14 years remaining on the current lease to Daiei. So those of you who shop there probably have a little while longer to enjoy the bargains there rather than across the street at WM.

Miulang

http://www.thehawaiichannel.com/news...20/detail.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Daiei land bought by A&B

Actually Wal-Mart is about a block away from Daiei.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      Actually Wal-Mart is about a block away from Daiei.
      Actually Wal-Mart is about 2 blocks away from Daiei.
      Ahana bisects da street (rycroft) on da mauka side, making da long block, 2 reg. blocks.

Comment

Unless you walk on the makua side of Kanunu Street, it's one block. If you walk on the maiki side of Kanunu Street, it's two blocks due to crossing Amana Street.

So okay it's one to two blocks away, but it's not across the street.
        Last edited by helen; February 3, 2005, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
          Unless you walk on the makua side of Kanunu Street, it's one block. If you walk on the maiki side of Kanunu Street, it's two blocks due to crossing Amana Street.

So okay it's one to two blocks away, but it's not across the street.
          It doesn't matter if its one or two blocks away from where ever. I still didn't know that there was a Daiei near by.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Speaking of Daiei.....Is the Daiei in Waipahu still open?? I moved to vegas, almost 8 years now. I would like to say....I was da FIRST CUSTOMER to get in dat store when it opened da first day/early morning!!! I went get to take pictures with some of da corparate owners and i got to bust open da champane bottle dat morning!! Also got 1 free bag rice!! They gave free bag rice to the first 100 people who came grand opening day. Was funny because me and my ex-wife at the time neva went home after she went finish work at about 3am in da morning. We ended up staying/sleeping in da car...at the parking lot by Zippys..... we almost got busted ooofing!!! By the security guard. LOL!! =) Was all good though!! ....hoo brah.....zippys sound good right about now!!! I stay hungry!!
            ALOHA ALL!!
            Bradda Ronny

Comment

Yeah as far as I know that Waipahu Daiei is still around.

Hey when did that Daiei open by chance? I assume it was Holiday Mart back then.

You know the Wisteria Restaurant closed down on King Street a month ago and then I noticed the Zippy's next door was closed too, I couldnt believe it, then I looked closer and saw that it was being remodeled. So it seems that entire block is closed for now.

KalihiBoy

Comment

I know the one in Pearl City still stay open. I remember when it was a Holiday Mart. Still stay right next to the Foodland store!
                Lovena

Comment

Daiei may sell Hawai'i stores

Daiei faces shut-down or selloff
                  Erika Engle, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Friday, February 4, 2005
                  Hawaii's four Daiei stores will be sold or closed, according to press reports yesterday in Japan. Daiei (USA) Inc. spokeswoman Theresa Chang would not comment on the press reports. But Kozo Yamagishi, chairman of Daiei's Hawaii operations, spoke with local store managers yesterday and assured them that "business is going to be as usual," Chang said last night.
                  Daiei may sell Hawai'i stores
                  Andrew Gomes, Honolulu Advertiser, Friday, February 4, 2005
                  Japan's leading economic daily newspaper Nihon Keizai yesterday reported that The Daiei Inc. plans to sell its four Hawai'i stores. But Teruyki Katsuragi, a spokesman for Daiei in Tokyo, said that "nothing has been decided yet." Theresa Chang, a spokeswoman for Daiei's Honolulu-based subsidiary The Daiei (USA) Inc., declined to comment yesterday. The Nihon Keizai, which did not cite sources, published a similar news report three years ago saying Daiei would sell its Hawai'i stores, a story that drew strong denials from Daiei officials in Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
                    Yeah as far as I know that Waipahu Daiei is still around.

You know the Wisteria Restaurant closed down on King Street a month ago and then I noticed the Zippy's next door was closed too, I couldnt believe it, then I looked closer and saw that it was being remodeled. So it seems that entire block is closed for now.

KalihiBoy
                    The Waipahu Daiei used to be "GEMS"....and used to be the "Sky Slide" across da street...back in the dayz!! Remember dat? DAS OLD SCHOOL!!
                    ~Braddah Ronny
                    PS. I used to work part-time for Daiei in Pearl City LOOONG time ago Christmas season.....was fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalihiboy
                      KalihiBoy

yep. as was the Daiei in Kailua on hamakua. Small keedtime, would hang there. Wait. or was that Wigwam?

In eps of Hawaii 5-0, when they shot around the Kaheka locale, you can see the Holiday Mart signage in the b/g.

Ho, Kailua was so different.
                      Coronet was a favorite stop. basement, lotta good kine stuffs.
                      Tinny Fisher's on Oneawa, that old yellow brick building where stained glass shop is now.

Comment

Re: Daiei Daze

http://starbulletin.com/2005/02/04/news/index1.html

Daiei faces
                        shutdown
                        or sell-off
                        Kobe quake started woes

By Erika Engle
                        eengle@starbulletin.com

Hawaii's four Daiei stores will be sold or closed, according to press reports yesterday in Japan.

Daiei (USA) Inc. spokeswoman Theresa Chang would not comment on the press reports. But Kozo Yamagishi, chairman of Daiei's Hawaii operations, spoke with local store managers yesterday and assured them that "business is going to be as usual," Chang said last night.
                        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                        The Kona Blog

Comment

Article linked and posted about twelve hours earlier - look up!

Comment

Slap me silly, I checked this thread and I DID NOT see this article posted
                            Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                            The Kona Blog

Comment

Even though the Japanese government officially told WM "thanks but no thanks" to its offer to help bail out Daiei, the Pacific Business News reports today that WM still would be interested in purchasing the Hawai'i Daiei stores if the Japanese government needs to raise cash quickly.

Miulang

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/s...7/daily45.html
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X