Plans for Valentine's Day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plans for Valentine's Day?

The holiday ostensibly fabricated by the greeting card industry, the date that half of Americans love and the other half hates, is coming up soon. Whether Cupid is an ally or a cruel prankster, how do you plan to mark Valentine's Day?

For those in love, the day brings pressure - whether real or entirely imagined - to come up with something meaningful and original to demonstrate their devotion. Some people craft grand itineraries full of surprises. Others race to WalMart on the way home for some balloons and candy.

For singletons? Loneliness isn't just limited to haoles. Some folks wish they were in love, some folks just wish people didn't think that they wish they were in love, and some folks outright cherish their lack of romantic attachment (and entanglements).

So what does Valentine's Day mean to you? If anything at all?

Re: Plans for Valentine's Day?

Valentine's Day, as artificial as it is, still has a legitimate purpose in my love life. Back when we were dating, it was an excuse to go all out and lavish my girlfriend with attention and romance. These days, now that we're an old married couple, it's a reminder and an excuse to get out of the house without the kids and eat at a grown-up restaurant.

Comment

Awww, I miss my late husband! How I miss the roses, candies and romantic dinners and then some. When I hear couples in a spat, I often wish I can grumble to him as well. Treasure your spouses, not only on Valentines Day but everyday of the year! A very early Happy Valentines Day to everyone!
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
        Awww, I miss my late husband! How I miss the roses, candies and romantic dinners and then some. When I hear couples in a spat, I often wish I can grumble to him as well. Treasure your spouses, not only on Valentines Day but everyday of the year! A very early Happy Valentines Day to everyone!
        Just wanted to say to all the OHANA "Valentines Day 2005!" LOVE is so beautiful...and you are all beautiful too. Ok, who taking me for lunch? Nah, I'm joking! My Valentine is coming over today...kiss, kiss, hugs, and more kisses, my grandson, Antonio!

Comment

Let me see...this morning, the man of the house got a box of Vosges exotic truffles, a tin of green tea lozenges, a big puffy Joseph Schift chocolate heart, a smaller box of matching Schift hearts (from da popokis) and I tucked in his lunchbox another dozen chocolate truffles (with Grand Marnier, Amaretto and other flavors) made by a chocolatier up the street and 3 cards (2 from me and 1 from da popokis).

It's too late to get reservations to anyplace nice for dinner tonight, so I'm making either duck with orange or pomegranate sauce, wild rice and steamed green beans and a molten truffle cake for dessert.

If he doesn't at least get me a card, I'm going to whack him upside his head. But as long as he washes the dishes, takes out the garbage, cleans out the bathrooms and vaccums the house, I'm not going to complain!

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Miulang, one word...WOW! You go girl!

Comment

Feb. 14, 2005 11:30 P.M.

Well, it's still Valentine's Day, even though if it is late at night.

Hope evryone had great & wonderful Valentine's Day.

What did you all do? Who did yo go out with?

I went out with my hubby. He took me out to a nice lunch & a movie.

He told me that, everyday is a Valentine's Day for us, because he always takes me out to lunch &/or dinner any way.

Hope everyone had a great Valentine holiday.

Aloha.
              Aches & Pains
              (through out our lives) knows no time!!.

Comment

It's 2:33 am. Can't sleep...still waiting for hubby to come home! SMILE

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity
                  What did you all do? Who did yo go out with?
                  With grandma watching the kids, the spousal unit and I escaped for a brief respite at Molly's Smokehouse, a southern food joint in Wahiawa. Also got a dozen roses, though in retrospect I think she would've preferred a $50 iTunes gift certificate instead!

Comment

We had an early Valentine's dinner at Palomino over the weekend, where we were unable to ID the yummy martini I'd had the last time we were there -- though not from lack of trying! On V-Day itself, we had a quiet dinner at home, followed by some really luxurious dark chocolate.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      Let me see...this morning, the man of the house got a box of Vosges exotic truffles, a tin of green tea lozenges, a big puffy Joseph Schift chocolate heart, a smaller box of matching Schift hearts (from da popokis) and I tucked in his lunchbox another dozen chocolate truffles (with Grand Marnier, Amaretto and other flavors) made by a chocolatier up the street and 3 cards (2 from me and 1 from da popokis).

It's too late to get reservations to anyplace nice for dinner tonight, so I'm making either duck with orange or pomegranate sauce, wild rice and steamed green beans and a molten truffle cake for dessert.

If he doesn't at least get me a card, I'm going to whack him upside his head. But as long as he washes the dishes, takes out the garbage, cleans out the bathrooms and vaccums the house, I'm not going to complain!

Miulang
                      Duck turned out better than I expected (roast duck with pomegranate sauce), truffle cake was sublime. Even had a bottle of 1994 Viansa Cabernet Reserve (yummy) to go with the meal. And belatedly, this morning, I had a half dozen red roses waiting for me when I got to work!
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                        It's 2:33 am. Can't sleep...still waiting for hubby to come home! SMILE
                        When I can't sleep like that & hubby not home, yet, I normally go straight to the comuter & check out the forum DB's, that usually help to either pass the time, or help me to sleep (eyes get tired of looking at the screen),
                        while waiting for hubby, or for me to get drowsy.

Worse comes to worse, either a good book to read or a nice hot milk.

Something's gotta work.

hope that helps.

Aloha, & take care.
                        Last edited by Serenity; February 15, 2005, 10:15 PM.
                        Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by Serenity
                          When I can't sleep like that & hubby not home, yet, I normally go straight to the comuter & check out the forum DB's, that usually help to either pass the time, or help me to sleep (eyes get tired of looking at the screen),
                          while waiting for hubby, or for me to get drousy.

To get me drowsy, I read that boring junk on Hawaiithreads by that jerk, Kimo55. Thinks he's funny. He's just tiresome.

Comment

Pzarquon...

My hubby's family/relatives & I have been there a few times, &
                            we really like it alot. Glad the wife liked the idea of receiving roses. I think going out to eat is much more romatic than having receive a ceritificate, I think. But then again, that's just MHO.

Glen....

Never been to Palomino's & I think we( my hubby & I) should try it out, someday. Glad the
                            dinner had chocolate along with the dinner, sounds like you had a really nice dinner.

Miulang....

Nope, definately have never gone there for dinner.

Seriously, glad that your home made dinner of roast duck etc...(if I mention the whole thing, might start to get hungry again. LOL) had turned out great, & so was your valentine's day.

Any more replies? Would like to hear more if any one else want to share.

Thanks gang, for the wonderful experiences shared of your valentine's day.

Aloha.
                            Aches & Pains

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              To get me drowsy, I read that boring junk on Hawaiithreads by that jerk, Kimo55. Thinks he's funny. He's just tiresome.
                              LOL.

That's funny. LOL.
                              Aches & Pains

Comment

Working...
                              X