How do you relieve stress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you relieve stress?

Lets just say that I had a stressful evening, where everything went wrong.

I calmed down during the ride home, but I still had a few ounces of stress left. If I had a good video card (I had to get a $100 video card from compusa to replace my other one) then I'd play some Grand Theft Auto. If it wasn't nighttime yet, then I'd set my speaker system to the max and blast some bass music (where the whole room shakes, and I still want more)

How shall I get rid of this stress?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: How do you relieve stress?

I work out at least three times a week. I do a 30 minute session on my treadmill at home. I use one of those preprogrammed routines on the machine to get the heart pumping.

Afterwards, I feel great! It's good for you too, burn some calories and relieves a great deal of stress.

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH, I would answer but I'd rather not. Think BABY, THINK!
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I'd take a Valium if I could find a doctor who'd give me a scrip.

Comment

For me there's physical, mental and spiritual stress types.
          Remedy for physical: Bicycle riding, hiking or swimming. Exersion
          mental: Lay on the beach or watch the night sky. Restful
          Spiritual: Praying, reading the Bible, listening to and singing praise songs.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

choke da chicken

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy2
              For me there's physical, mental and spiritual stress types.
              Remedy for physical: Bicycle riding, hiking or swimming. Exersion
              mental: Lay on the beach or watch the night sky. Restful
              Spiritual: Praying, reading the Bible, listening to and singing praise songs.
              I pretty much do the same if I got mental stress except for biking and hiking. I hit the water or go in the garage and make something. Spiritual healing, likewise. Physical stress, kick back and/or do one of the above.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                choke da chicken
                Kimo you're sure blundt. But yes I guess that is a stress reliever too. I find reading a good book and meditation works well with me or I go outside for a long walk/jog. Just as long as I know that I am in control of my own emotions physical or mental. We must learn to act rather than react to our own I guess feelings. Trust me I am not perfect and when I come home from a very stressful day I try my best to alleviate myself and not let my anger and excitement overtake me, but at time's I lose control. I am a human being and I am learning each and everyday, what can I say, I don't know everything I know what works for me.
                A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedro
                  Kimo you're sure blundt. But yes I guess that is a stress reliever too.
                  well, I was hoping moreso, to be considered satiristic, or lampooning, but I suppose that will do, however unintended.

Comment

I've learned to leave my work stress at work. Years ago I used to come home all stressed out and I passed it onto my family. I took some advise about not bringing your work or it's stressors home.

Everytime I would walk back to my car I would do a mental checklist of things I needed to remember for the next day. When I got into my car when I heard the sound of the seat belt clicking into place that was my mental signal that the work day was done.

Turning on my car cd player I'd listen to some light jazz or Hawaiian music and deliberately drove the long way thru Waikiki and into Waialae Kahala via Diamond Head Road instead of the usual H1 Koko Head bound and take in the beautiful scenery that people around the world pay thousands of dollars to see.

Once I got home the sound of the engine shutting down signaled me that I was at home and I give my kids a big hug and spend the rest of the evening with my family and enjoying it.

So how did I relieve stress? By compartmentalizing my day and putting each stressing event into it's own cubbyhole. Work stays at work. Likewise stressors at home stay home and when I'm drinking my first cup of coffee at my desk I switch into my work mode and deal with the stressors I left behind the day before along with the ones waiting in line waiting for me to get my ass in gear.

But lately, I cheated and retired 20-years early at age 45 and loving every minute of it.
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

by far, the best stress reliever for me is rock and roll...i don't mean listening to loud music, i mean strapping on my stratocaster and playing my ass off...with a band behind me and a cocktail within arm's reach, the problems i face take a back seat to the immediacy and catharsis of putting on a rock and roll show...there is nothing more consuming than total immersion in "the pocket," when i get to be in control of the outcome...i only wish i had something else...wait a minute...i've just realized that our thread community here also affords me an escape from the recent torment of a miserably failed relationship...outside of those things, i generally tend to internalize personal strife...
                      Don't be mean,
                      try to help.

Comment

jdub, sorry for not being very familiar with everyone here but by your post, do you mean you have a regular gig somewhere in town? if so, would you let us know where? and since i'm asking, can you recommend one or two places that play live music that you particularly like?

(incidentally, there's that place in chinatown that i haven't been to in ages but i think it's called hanks. man, the guys who play there are the WORST musicians ever (probably just customers playing) but they are the HAPPIEST musicians i've seen and so i love that place. who cares if they're off key, they're having a blast and that's what it's about.)

opps. might as well add two more cents: i relieve stress by watching movies, kayaking, and playing tennis. haven't had much luck doing much of it though cuz the baby's taking up so much time!
                        Last edited by shaveice; June 30, 2005, 12:02 AM.
                        525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
                          by far, the best stress reliever for me is rock and roll...i don't mean listening to loud music, i mean strapping on my stratocaster and playing my ass off...with a band behind me and a cocktail within arm's reach, the problems i face take a back seat to the immediacy and catharsis of putting on a rock and roll show..

what do ya play?
                          and if it's classic rock, you may want to catch the Led Zepp show at Pipeline aug 20th.
                          http://pipelinecafe.com/

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
                            If I had a good video card (I had to get a $100 video card from compusa to replace my other one) then I'd play some Grand Theft Auto.
                            Holy Cow, Grand Theft Auto to relieve stress? Exactly how?
                            Dude, you need some physical outlets, not sitting your butterbutt in front of a video game while your gut sloshes with Pringles and Budweiser.
                            Yoga, surf, ride a bike, slam a tennis ball, garden.
                            You need to quiet your mind, touch the earth, breathe fresh air. I take yoga with people of all shapes and sizes. I swear, 80% of the time my eyes are shut. It's not about what others are doing, but about what I can do. It really helps flush the mind and gives you a new perspective about respecting what goes in your body.
                            Share your life with someone. We validate each other. Yes, even here where we weave our threads. Reach out. Open your mind and try to see who's reaching for you.
                            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

kimo and shaveice...yeah, it's a regular gig, most saturdays at o'toole's on nuuanu...irish pub rock with a kick ass fiddler to soothe and spark the soul...i've also got an original rock outfit that plays less frequently...there's no better way to get away from stress...i can't say alleviate, because pains in the ass remain after every gig...but at least for a time, rock and roll renders all else not that bad...
                              Don't be mean,
                              try to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X