Leaky Waikiki Aquarium makes national news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaky Waikiki Aquarium makes national news

The Waikiki Aquarium made the national AP Wirepress yesterday. Andrew Rossiter, the aquarium director is quoted as saying the aging structure needs around $1 million to patch leaky ceilings and do a major facelift of the site.

Because of its convenient location, lots of tourists put up with the leaky roofs and cranky HVAC systems.

Maui has a world class aquarium at Ma'alae'a, but it's privately owned and admission costs around $20 per adult (they have kamaaina rates too). Even at that steep admission fee, lots of tourists still flock there.

Will the state be able to find the money to restore the Aquarium? I remember going there as a young kid (this was before Sea Life Park opened). I hope so, because your only other alternative soon will be that private aquarium that is planned for the new Ko'Olina resort complex that will be built next to your landfill site.

Miulang

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...leaky_aquarium
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Leaky Waikiki Aquarium makes national news

Originally posted by Miulang
    The Waikiki Aquarium needs around $1 million to patch leaky ceilings and do a major facelift of the site.

Will the state be able to find the money to restore the Aquarium?

Miulang

onei mil, sure!
    If the Local government holds back on their ridiculous, fraudulent expenditures for a few months, we'll have the cashola.

Comment

Re: Leaky Waikiki Aquarium makes national news

Of all states, Hawaii should have a world class aquarium. Both in the 'attraction' sense, and in the 'research institution' sense. That said, I don't think east Waikiki is a practical location for one, and the present location is probably part of the reason why it's so hard to either maintain, or expand.

I agree that constant theoretical talk of a potential aquarium in Kapolei or Kakaako is hurting the Waikiki Aquariums fundraising efforts, though. Folks are gun-shy to advocate a big overhaul, when they think there's a chance the place will be obsoleted anyway.

I think the Waikiki Aquarium, in the event of a commercial aquarium development (I'm thinking of the Baltimore national aquarium as a model), could be kept as a strictly educational and research-oriented facility. It's a decent size, and can still take tourists interested in such things. But to get the full dog-and-pony, rare species of Hawaii, fancy underwater tunnel with sharks overhead presentation, they'll have to head Ewa.

Comment

Working...
      X