*New*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *New*

I've been lurking on this board for months but decided it was about time to join, finally. I'm originally from Oahu (Ewa Beach, Waipahu, Kunia.. haha where didn't my family live?!) and now reside in Southern California with my husband and 2 Keiki. I left when I was in elementary (August Ahrens) but go back every year at least. My whole ohana is there (100+ strong!) except my immediate family (sisters and brother) who got moved up as well when my parents left da 'aina. I come from a Portuguese (Dad) and Hawaiian/Chinese (Mom) background. Oahu is still very much home to me and I go back and forth in my mind about packing up and moving back again once I'm through with medical school. I took my husband home with me for the very first time last October (previous to last year he just never had enough vacation time and I went alone) and he loves it. He already knew my ohana well from their frequent Vegas/Disneyland trips. There's nothing wrong with Southern Cali but I feel lost living here, always have. I have no spiritual connection to the land or anything (besides ohana) around me. Everytime I go back to da 'aina and I take that first step onto Hawaiian soil, I breathe relief...I'm home.

Mahalo plenty for reading this far! I just thought it was time to come out of my lurking corner and say howzit?!?!

-Leah Leilani
    (I go by Lei)
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Re: *New*

Welcome and Aloha LEI! I got chicken skin reading your post!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

August Ahrens, huh? I went to Honowai. What part of Waipahu did you live in?
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Oh my, that's remembering a bit back. I do believe we lived on Kahuamoku Street back then. I went to two elementary schools back home. I also attended Ewa Beach elementary.
        I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Howzit Lei! Welcome.

Comment

Welcome to HawaiiThreads, Lei! Hope we can make you feel at home! Glad your husband liked his trip here, and hope that after you finish medical school (how much longer have you got?), the stars align and allow you to consider a return to the 'aina!

Comment

While you're making plans to return permanently to Hawai'i, you can always go visit www.ohanalanai.com. We have a lolo bunch of ex-pats who can relate to your homesickness running around on that forum. And we have many members of that forum who live in So. Cali who would be more than happy to talk with you about what local stuff there is in your part of the world to help you get lose some of your Hawai'i "joneses".

Welcome to Hawai'i Threads!

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                August Ahrens, huh? I went to Honowai. What part of Waipahu did you live in?
                Eh, my wife came from Robinson Heights, went to Honowai. Grad Waipahu '77. I wonder if she knew all you guys?!

Originally posted by LeiKaina
                Oh my, that's remembering a bit back. I do believe we lived on Kahuamoku Street back then. I went to two elementary schools back home. I also attended Ewa Beach elementary.
                Kahuamoku is by Waipahu Gym. I lived there for a while in the '70s, too!

Blaine
                Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                X