Giving alcohol to "underaged adults"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giving alcohol to "underaged adults"

I have a friend who is planning to serve alcohol at our candle light ceremony for the CNA completion in a few weeks. Everyone is over the age of 21, except 3 people in the group (me, a male and a female). She's always sarcastic when she says that she'll give the "underaged adults" alcohol at the event, but I just downplay it.

If she does offer us alcohol at the event (beer, wine, etc), then can I call the police on her?

(BTW, I say "underage adults" because the female is 18, I'm 19, and the other male is 20, and the last time I checked, the legal age to drink is 21). And even if someone offers me alcohol, I won't drink (unless they spike my drink) and I'll even catch the bus (or walk) to stop them from offering me, or I'll call the cops if its applicable).
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Giving alcohol to "underaged adults"

There is no such thing as an "underage adult", Adrian. If you're over 21, you're an adult (they call that the Age of Majority). Younger than that, you're a TEENAGER.

Your friend has one of 2 options: to be fair to the underaged kids and not make them feel left out, she shouldn't serve any alcohol at all. And if she serves alcohol, then the underaged kids better exhibit some good judgement and stay away from the stuff (being teenagers, though, I think they will want to drink alcohol if it's anywhere near them unless they have decided that it's against their religion/beliefs.) You might also want to point out to your friend (if you are a true friend) that if she does decide to go ahead and serve alcohol in the presence of the teenagers and they decide to imbibe and get into trouble after her party, that SHE will be held liable and be slapped in jail for serving liquor to minors, especially if the party will be held at her house.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Why the heck would you call the cops before even having a reasonable conversation with her about it first? Is she kidding? If she is bringing alcohol, will she be sure to limit its consumption? Further, if you know the other two underage attendees, you can also gauge their feelings on the matter.

If all this makes you uncomfortable, just talk to them. Reporting them to the authorities for what may very well be an unintentional slight is hardly a way to make friends.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Why the heck would you call the cops before even having a reasonable conversation with her about it first? Is she kidding? If she is bringing alcohol, will she be sure to limit its consumption? Further, if you know the other two underage attendees, you can also gauge their feelings on the matter.
        I think it's because Adrian has been trained as an Auxiliary Junior Police Officer, that's why.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I would think that the "underage adult" would be able to make an adult descion and refuse the offer or not attend the function. I believe HPD has better things to devote their time to. If you and your friends feel left out because alcohol is being served and they cant or dont partake dont go. If someone under the legal drinking age consumes alcohol its called UNDERAGE DRINKING they are just as responsible as any other adult.

Comment

after all is said and done, this bullhash with legal age is so arbitrary. back in the day, the drinking age in Hawaii was 18.
            No problems really, to speak of...

Comment

Working...
            X