No announcement yet.

How much does it cost to build a house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does it cost to build a house?

Does anyone know the going average rate for building a house? What is reasonable? $100/sqft? $120/sqft? $130/sqft?

Re: How much does it cost to build a house?

Originally posted by Haken
    Does anyone know the going average rate for building a house? What is reasonable? $100/sqft? $120/sqft? $130/sqft?
    Depends whether you're talking finished house (with fixtures, paint, etc) or just to the dry wall.

http://architecture.about.com/cs/bui...se/a/costs.htm

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Depends on how much site work is involved too.

Comment

I got a couple of ballpark quotes while at the BIA Home and Remodeling show last week that ranged anywhere between $150 to $200 square foot. Seems high to me, but I guess the current market is support that.

Either that or the price is high because the quotes from the state's leading design/builders. Others have told me that perhaps we should go with an architect and put our plans up for bid to get a better price.

Does anyone know if design/builders are just as competitive as going the traditional route of putting the up for bid?

Comment

Architects (unless they're relatives of yours) normally charge about 10% of the cost of the house. So if you decide to go the architect route, figure that into the total cost of building your house. And if you already have the house plans and just need to build it, then why go to an architect?

You still have to go through a contractor to get that house built, anyway (unless you want to go through the pain and agony of being the contractor yourself---and lots of marriages get frayed when you tackle a job like this! ) So I think your best bet would be to interview a couple of general contractors and get them to bid on the construction.

A couple of other considerations: what kind of walls will it have? Wood, hollow tile, stucco, bamboo, steel? Wood used to be the cheapest option; now with the scarcity of wood (a lot of it is being diverted to the Far East), it might be cheaper to look for some other building material.

Craig Watanabe on another thread somewhere in here had some information about bamboo house kits that looked really intriguing. They were relatively inexpensive, had nice floor plans and they would be more termite and rot-resistant than traditional wood walls, especially since "pressure treating" wood is no longer an option because of environmental hazards.

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Not bamboo but someone mentioned building a bamboo house after my thread. The complete thread can be found at this link: http://www.hawaiithreads.com/archive...hp?t-2662.html
            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
            X