New Ewa road "may" ease congestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ewa road "may" ease congestion

After 25 years, commuters living in Ewa are going to finally get a new road from Kapolei Parkway to H-1.

Of course, while the road is being built (2 phases), all those same commuters are going to be inconvenienced by the road construction for the next 3 years.

I personally think that the more roads you build, the more cars you're going have using those roads. This will do virtually nothing to resolve the gridlock problem. And eventually you guys will run out of land to put new roads on. Then will public transportation finally make sense?

Miulang

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../ln/ln01p.html
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: New Ewa road "may" ease congestion

I don't think it follows that more roads mean more traffic, especially in situations like this where the road was planned since the whole region's development was put into motion, and where it relieves a clear bottleneck in terms of getting into and out of the area.

Further, this particular project is part of the larger plan to decentralize Honolulu somewhat, making the Ewa plain a reasonable place to both live and work and taking some of the strain off the Pearl City-Downtown corridor.

Hawaii has several neighborhoods that have only one major access point, which - regardless of rush hour challenges - creates problems and a major risk of being "locked out" entirely in case of emergency (which is why I'll never buy in Mililani Mauka!). Bypasses in general therefore are just good urban planning. In this case, residents aren't entirely "trapped," but clearly the flow of traffic was ridiculously inefficient... especially since they knew in the 60s that people couldn't rely entirely on Fort Weaver Road.

Comment

Working...
    X