• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I remember the good ole days...

when I was less paranoid... when I didn't have a computer. LOL

Re: I remember the good ole days...

Originally posted by cezanne

I think back to the time we didn't have cell phones, when fax machines were just hitting.. No computers... Much business, and personal communication was via letter. We actually hand wrote words in a string of "sentences" on paper, and visited the post office often.
    And visited face to face with each other more.
    Life was a lot slower.
    What is it that requires us nowadays, to need to always be viewing our email, web sites, and be continually chatting on the cell phone?
    yes, Life was less paranoid then...

Comment

I miss being able to have a windows box directly on the internet, and not getting 0wn3d within 5 minutes. It's easy enough for me to set up firewalls and stuff, but I recognize that there are a lot of people who lack the skill or knowledge of the problem to do so. Remember when telnet used to be a perfectly acceptable way of getting around the net?
      I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Life was less complicated! For example, now I have to remember a gazzilion passwords THEN I gotta remember which one was for what and on top of that I gotta hide them somewhere where no one (including myself) can find them.

Comment

Originally posted by kamapuaa
          I miss being able to have a windows box directly on the internet, and not getting 0wn3d within 5 minutes.
          Sorry but what does 0wn3d means?

Comment

Originally posted by helen
            Sorry but what does 0wn3d means?
            From urbandictionary.com: To be made a fool of; To make a fool of; To confound or prove wrong; embarrasing someone: Being embarrased.

And its true about leaving a computer connected to the internet w/out protection: I walked out of my room for a few minutes and I just finished reformatting and reinstalling XP, and when I came back, it had various links to sites on the desktop. Spyware had taken over my computer (luckily, it was a fresh install, so I just reformatted again).
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
              And its true about leaving a computer connected to the internet w/out protection: I walked out of my room for a few minutes to go XP, and when I came back, it had various links to sites on the desktop. Spyware had taken over my computer (luckily, it was a fresh install, so I just reformatted again).

'dahayall kinda nightmare izzat!?

boy.
              I certainly don't envy you non Mac users.
              Last edited by kimo55; February 11, 2005, 12:35 AM. Reason: for Editing: none o yer freakin bi'nizz! nozey bastid!

Comment

Life was less complicated! For example, now I have to remember a gazzilion passwords THEN I gotta remember which one was for what and on top of that I gotta hide them somewhere where no one (including myself) can find them.
                Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                  'dahayall kinda nightmare izzat!?

boy.
                  I certainly don't envy you non Mac users.
                  Not oni one problem for Windoze users, Kimo. As long as you get cable or DSL connection and you keep your computer on (even when you're not there) and you don't have a firewall and antivirus protection, you could get cockaroached too. That's one of the reasons I still use dial up; and my kane has cable but he disconnects everytime he's not actually using the computer.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    Not oni one problem for Windoze users, Kimo. As long as you get cable or DSL connection and you keep your computer on (even when you're not there) and you don't have a firewall and antivirus protection, you could get cockaroached too.

Miulang

sure bout dat? I dunno. well, it never happened yet. ting is, never heard it happnin to any one else among the mac comm....

Comment

Huh. So, if you've got a brand new PC and a brand new cable modem connection, how do you go about setting it up to properly protect yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        Not oni one problem for Windoze users, Kimo. As long as you get cable or DSL connection and you keep your computer on (even when you're not there) and you don't have a firewall and antivirus protection, you could get cockaroached too.
                        Uh, all the Mac OS X machines have firewall built in. Only gotta turn um on. And many of the Cable/DSL routers on the market today have built-in firewall, too. Just gotta turn um on.

Plus in order for remote attacker to get at the Mac, the Mac needs to have remote access services turned on... they are turned off by default. (SSH, FTP, etc.) And you need to have set the password at something really manini, like "password" to help the attacker out.

And if you get something in the email or over the network that you double-click, a dialog pops up asking for the Admin login/password before it is allowed to install or do anything on the computer.

There is no self-replicating virus or worm that runs on OS X (yet). But that has a lot to do with all the remote access stuff being turned off and the aforementioned Admin Login dialog. Virus can't replicate without Admin's permission.

A successful attack on the OS X box usually requires local physical access to the machine where the malicious user will boot off another volume (Firewire drive or CD) and then go to town on your files.

"Podagee Virus Alert! You have just been infected with the Podagee Virus. Send this email to everyone in your address book, then erase your hard drive!"

(Relax, I'm half-Portuguese.)

Aloha,

Blaine
                        Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Working...
                        X