What about the Hawaiian Music Awards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about the Hawaiian Music Awards?

i got an e-mail a while ago to vote for artists in the Hawaiian Music Awards. I've read a bit on this in the past, but who are the guys behind it?

Spongie

Re: What about the Hawaiian Music Awards?

I've always been curious about the 'behind the scenes' story as well. The "Hawaiian Music Awards" are a primarily online effort (though they do pull together concerts), and are a 'popular vote' model versus a membership (i.e. Na Hoku Hanohano Awards, the Oscars) or judge-based model. The winners tend to include a few more dark horses and artists popular outside Hawaii (understandable, given that anyone, anywhere can vote).

They're credited to the non-profit "The Music Foundation of Hawaii," which is described on the awards site as a music-in-our-schools group, but as far as I can tell, the awards are pretty much its only activity.

Here's an interview with the awards' founder, Johnny Kai, which touches on what makes the "Hawaiian Music Awards" different.

I suppose any program that spotlights local artists are a good thing, but the "Hawaiian Music Awards" always seemed pretty arbitrary to me. The winners are usually the ones who are active online (just Google for "Danny Couch" and you'll see HawaiiThreads.com isn't the only place his fans advertise) or have web-savvy fans. Anyone want to create the HawaiiThreads Music Awards?

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
      The winners tend to include a few more dark horses and artists popular outside Hawaii (understandable, given that anyone, anywhere can vote).
      This is called promoting Hawaiian Music
      They're credited to the non-profit "The Music Foundation of Hawaii," which is described on the awards site as a music-in-our-schools group, but as far as I can tell, the awards are pretty much its only activity.
      Perhaps some further investigation is in order
      I suppose any program that spotlights local artists are a good thing, but the "Hawaiian Music Awards" always seemed pretty arbitrary to me. The winners are usually the ones who are active online (just Google for "Danny Couch"
      Danny Couch has only been online for a few years, and only by my constant badgering.
      and you'll see HawaiiThreads.com isn't the only place his fans advertise) or have web-savvy fans.
      Advertise?? that seems a very peculiar word to use considering that Hawaiian Music in general is being promoted by someone outside Hawaii. I would think that anyone interested in the music produced in your state would welcome promotion.
      Anyone want to create the HawaiiThreads Music Awards?
      Sure want to join me?

FYI

The Hawaii Music Awards, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the diversity of music found in Hawaii and the Pacific Rim by honoring and acknowledging the talents and achievements of the music community. We support music education by providing funding for scholarships and grants for the Music Foundation of Hawaii. We recognize excellence in the recording arts and professions as well as supporting businesses and music organizations throughout the State of Hawaii.

The Music Foundation of Hawaii, a nonprofit organization, is committed to supporting our "music in the schools" programs. The single, most largest group of kids in the schools are the music students, an estimated 20,000 of them, that's more than all the sports combined. In some schools that's about one third of the entire student body, astounding! More attention should be given to Hawaii's extraordinary music education programs, that, by the way, invites thousands of music kids every year from all over the world to perform in Hawaii. That's right, music education supports tourism!

The Hawaii Music Awards belongs to the people of Hawaii. Its goals and achievements have served many of the needs of the community with unprecedented accomplishments in the field of music. The University of Hawaii Library has classified The Hawaii Music Awards as an "Historic Event." Hawaii Music Awards is gaining local and worldwide attention with each year and its populist appeal has earned it a place in the hearts and minds of our local recording artists. I urge you to come back to this site after February 9th to vote, and pass the word to your family and friends.
      Last edited by dcfanaddicts; February 11, 2005, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dcfanaddicts
        Advertise?? that seems a very peculiar word to use considering that Hawaiian Music in general is being promoted by someone outside Hawaii.
        Sure, the definition is subjective. One person's "advocacy" is another person's "spam." Spreading the word is always a good thing... when it's something you like! So, for all I know, radio listeners today were annoyed to hear about the Hawaiian Music category at the Grammy awards. Meanwhile, I was pleased as punch!
        The Hawaii Music Awards, a nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting the diversity of music found in Hawaii and the Pacific Rim by honoring and acknowledging the talents and achievements of the music community...
        Um, thanks for that FYI, but instead of cutting-and-pasting the entirety of the Hawaii Music Awards "About Us" page, you could have just linked to it. The site offers a lot of information about the awards, to be sure, but I was just curious to know a bit more. I thought the attribution of the awards to an educational non-profit group was interesting, because there's not much else out there about the group, except that they fundraise, receive grants, and hold concerts (which are also fundraisers). Does anyone know what schools this foundation is active in? Or who receives the scholarships?

I'm all for music education, and I was part of a (failed) effort to keep music from being sidelined in a recent restructuring of the core high school curriculum, and I'm sure the money that the foundation raises can do a lot of good. I'd like to hear more about it.

This is just distracted skepticism, of course. I have no idea where the Hawaii Music Awards came from. But, people like them, people vote, and artists are happy to receive them. Like I said, "
        I suppose any program that spotlights local artists are a good thing."

Comment

Personal opinion: I find the HMA's pretty shady and inconsistent.

Two years in a row I submitted items and supported their goals and both times they jacked up my entries.

plus, labels/groups must give them 3 free copies (in my case MSRLP = $9.99) and they try to sell them. (For $15.00!)

boo.

oh well, just my opinion, but i'm not a fan of the HMA's.
          808shows.com / 808PhotoVault.com / Hawaiian Express Records...

Comment

Re: Hawaiian Music Awards winners announced

The winners were just announced:
            http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar.../br/br11p.html

Voting was via the internet, and it's interesting that in the article today it says most of the voters were from the mainland.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Hawaiian Music Awards winners announced

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Hawaiian Music Awards winners announced

Hawaiian music fans with an Internet connection have spoken.
              Winners of the 8th Annual Hawai'i Music Awards were announced today by the Music Foundation of Hawai'i.

Winners included Na Palapalai, Ekolu, Fiji and Jake Shimabukuro. No one artist won more than one prize in the competition's 29 categories.

Voting was open to the general public on the foundation's Web site www.hawaiimusicawards.com from Jan. 29 to Feb. 21, 2005. The site recorded more than 593,000 hits during the voting period.

Only artists submitting their work for nomination in award categories were included on the online voting form.

"Our awards are the only ones for Hawai'i music open to worldwide vote via the Web. The majority of our voters are from out of state. ... (and) artists can enter their music into the nomination process free of charge," said awards program founder Johnny Kai.

Winners will be able to claim their awards at an April 3 ceremony at the Hilton Hawaiian Village's Tapa Ballroom. Dinner seating is $60 per person; seating only for the awards program is $25. Dinner starts at 5 p.m., the awards program at 5:45 p.m.

The ceremony is a benefit for the foundation's music scholarship programs. The Music Foundation of Hawai'i is a nonprofit supporting music education in Hawai'i schools.

Here are the winners:

• Adult Contemporary Album of the Year: "Simple As A Sunrise" - Daniel Ho

• Anthology Album of the Year: "The Very Best of Justin" - Justin

• Children's Music Album of the Year: "The Story of Hula" - Noelani K. Mahoe & Allison Chu

• Classical Album of the Year: "Mozartime" - Lisa Nakamichi

• Comedy Album of the Year: "Tita Out!" - Kathy Collins

• Compilation Album of the Year: "Aloha Joe's A Place Called Hawai'i 3" - Various Artists

• Contemporary Hawaiian Album of the Year: "In Harmony" - Pali

• DVD of the Year: "All In The Ohana" - Andy Bumatai

• Folk Album of the Year: "Vito Truglio" - Vito Truglio

• Hip-hop Album of the Year: "Futuristo - The New Born Experiment" - Kaleo Futuristo

• Inspirational Album of the Year: "A Few More Drops" - Wendell Warrington

• Island Contemporary Album of the Year: "Back To The Valley" - Ekolu

• Jazz Album of the Year: "Timeless" - Greg & Junko MacDonald

• New Age Album of the Year: "Moe'uhane" - El Lopez

• Paniolo Album of the Year: "Paniolo Ghostriders" - Bradda Francis

• "Polynesian Album of the Year: "Vaihitian" - Vaihi

• "Pop Album of the Year: "Aloha Miles Away" - Scott Katsura

• Punk/Ska Album of the Year: "God, The Devil, And The World" - Battle Royale

• Rhythm & Blues Album of the Year: "JROQ Vs. Dr. Trey" - JROQ

• Rap Album of the Year: "Creationism " (single) by Gefilthy

• Reggae Album of the Year: "Independence Day" - Fiji

• Rock Album of the Year: Under A Native Moon" - SUGahDADDY 'ehawaiianrockband

• Seasonal Album of the Year: "Hawaiian Style Christmas" - Various Artists

• Single of the Year: "Come And Join Us" - James Ingram

• "Slack Key Album of the Year: "Masters of Hawaiian Slack Key, Vol. 1" - Various Artists

• Steel Guitar Album of the Year: "Hawaiian Steel, Vol. 3: Byrd's Nest" - Alan Akaka, Casey Olsen, Greg Sardinha, Paul Kim

• Traditional Hawaiian Album of the Year: "Ke 'Ala Beauty" - Na Palapalai

• 'Ukulele Album of the Year: "Walking Down Rainhill" - Jake Shimabukuro

• World Music Album of the Year: "Special Moments with Emile Simon" - Pierre Grill & L'Escargot

Comment

Hawaiian Music Awards?

If you're interested in more information on our friend Johnny Kai and the Hawaii Music Awards go here

http://www.oahuislandnews.com/Mar05/Home.htm

Comment

Working...
                X