Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii mortuary makes diamonds out of the deceased

Source

A mortuary is an unlikely place to buy diamonds. But they're certified diamonds made from the ashes of dead loved ones. A Moanalua funeral home has become the first in Hawaii to offer this very personal jewelry.

Barbara White doesn't have to pick out a diamond from the jewelry case. There's only one -- blue, in a round brilliant cut, less than half a carat.

"I wouldn't care if it was the size of a pinhead," she said. "It's beautiful and it's my honey."

Her honey of 24 years died and was cremated through Moanalua Mortuary. That's where she found out that carbon can be extracted from the ashes and subjected to heat and pressure to create a diamond looking like a natural diamond.

They come in yellow, too, iin sizes ranging from a quarter-carat to almost one carat. Prices range from $2,300 to $5,000.

"People want to do something different with the cremated remains -- scatter them in the ocean, so on and so forth," said Claus Hansen of Affordable Casket & Moanalua Mortuary. "This is the newest and most innovative thing that people do."

Think it's a little creepy? The Illinois-based manufacturer LifeGem tries to get you to see it another way. Natural diamonds come from an arbitrary carbon source -- foreign, unknown to you. Instead you can know your diamond is your beloved Tutu.

LifeGem says 50 one-carat diamonds can be created from one individual.

"Sorry it has to be the way it was, but I have him with me all the time now," White said. "I can't tell you how much peace it gives me."

These diamonds are a tougher sell in some mainland communities where the tradition is a coffin burial.

In Hawaii, because of our ethnic religious mix and the high cost of land, cremation is the preferred way to go.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Hawaii mortuary makes diamonds out of the deceased

Originally posted by adri1456

diamonds made from the ashes of dead loved ones.
    "It's beautiful and it's my honey."
    They come in yellow.
    "People want to do something different with the cremated remains.
    "This is the most innovative thing people do."
    you can know your diamond is your beloved Tutu.
    (well, you can THINK it's tutu. Sheeyii.. could be a K-mart bluelight speyshull cubic zircon!)
    50 one-carat diamonds can be created from one individual.
    "I have him with me all the time now,"
    "I can't tell you how much peace it gives me."

two words for ya:
    More.
    Bid.

addendum...

"they come in yellow"
    say that a few times...
    ok.
    wow, ya know... gotta luvvit.

loved this one too:
    "I can't tell you how much peace it gives me. Now, finally, Harold is actually worth something!"

"Die, man!"

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend?!
    Fuh-dat!
    Dis diamond WUZ my best friend!"

Gawd. Prime Dave Barry material.
    c'mon peeps! within the week, I wanna see a few more. need ta hear ya. There are at least thirty built in jokes here in this freak show of a cartoon scenario!
    Last edited by kimo55; February 10, 2005, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Re: Hawaii mortuary makes diamonds out of the deceased

Mine will be called "Bi-Polar Diamond" rainbow colors that can't make up it's mind what color to be. BEAUTIFUL AND SHINING! Oh, yeah...it will control the person's finger.heheheheh
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
      X