• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What strike affected you most?

- The teachers strike
    - Cement Mixers strike
    - Bus strike

For me, its a toss between the bus strike and cement mixers strike, because I started to take the bus when the bus strike started, and I had to resort to carpooling and fight traffic; and my Dad is in the construction business, so a lot of his projects were delayed.
    The Bus strike
    53.85%
    Cement Mixers strike
    7.69%
    Teachers' strike
    38.46%
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: What strike affected you most?

"What strike affected you most?"

out the other nite at magoo's and I asked a wahine:
    "If I told you ya had a great body, would you hold it against me?"

and she struck me.
    That strike I would say, yes, did affect me the most.

#######++++++++########

OOOOhhhh, sorry, eh. JUST now noticed the Poll Options on top.
    ok. bus strike. jezz when my car steh broke, hadda take da bus. next day bus all bus up. One week, car in shop, one week holoholo round town. Really got in shape.
    Last edited by kimo55; February 15, 2005, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
      out the other nite at magoo's and I asked a wahine:
      "If I told you ya had a great body, would you hold it against me?"
      Great job at staying on topic. Why contribute to the discussion when you can make a lame, wise-assed remark?

None of those strikes really affected me. I'm not a teacher, don't ride the bus and have no use for cement.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
        Great job at staying on topic. Why contribute to the discussion when you can make a lame, wise-assed remark?

Uuuuuuhhh... I give up. Why?

Comment

Okay, WTF IS GOING ON HERE??

These forums were the last place I'd thought that would erupt like this. This is one of my last places to talk to local people, and if I have to resort to using a smaller board, then so be it.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by adri1456
            Okay, WTF IS GOING ON HERE??

These forums were the last place I'd thought that would erupt like this. This is one of my last places to talk to local people, and if I have to resort to using a smaller board, then so be it.

Calm down, adri. later in life, you will learn of an aspect of discussion that crops up now and again, employed by adults, known as "levity" which we see others have not grasped yet either.
            so be it.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              Calm down, adri. later in life, you will learn of an aspect of discussion that crops up now and again, employed by adults, known as "levity" which we see others have not grasped yet either.
              so be it.
              See, the thing is Kimo, conversation is a lot different in real life than on a computer screen. What you call "levity" on this board, others call "acting like an idiot."

Comment

Palolo Joe and Kimo, I will not have your lover's quarrel spill over into every thread on this site. Any more sniping, offered in jest or not, will be deleted, and you'll be put in a corner with a cone-shaped hat. Or banned, whichever strikes my fancy at the moment.

Feel free to respond via PM. Adri, I hope you can get some reasonable responses to your query.

Comment

Adri, Hawaii is so dominated by organized labor, I'm sure there are more strikes than the three you've suggested. Wasn't there a strike that affected shipping? Or was that an L.A.-based crisis? I know trash collectors held a strike, once upon a time.

I don't think the cement strike had any effect on me whatsoever, at least directly. I do know it was a big deal, though, bringing development all over the island to a grinding halt. (Some might say, however, that this was a good thing.) During the bus strike, I carpooled with coworkers who had no way to get around. The strike that bothered me the most was the across-the-board strike that took out UH and DOE at the same time. Rather than taking sides, I was just disgusted that the state of education in Hawaii could get to that point so easily.

Comment

The teacher's strike 'cause I was still in school at the time. The bus strike happened at I time when I didn't need to ride the bus everyday, so I was lucky there. My dad works in construction, but I don't remember him having any problems at the time of the cement strike. I wasn't really paying attention, of course.
                    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I would think of all of the ones you listed, Adrian, the one that impacts most people would be the teacher's strike because besides the kids who have to stay home, you have a lot of parents who have to take time off to make sure their kids don't get in trouble.

The one strike you should have put on your poll is a shipping strike, though. That one impacts everyone in Hawai'i. The main reason is because nearly everything that's consumed in Hawai'i comes from someplace else. Everytime there's even a whisper of a potential strike, I know there's a run at the supermarkets for things like toilet paper, rice and SPAM!

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        The one strike you should have put on your poll is a shipping strike, though. That one impacts everyone in Hawai'i.
                        Miulang

Yes. i remember the shipping strike, gawd.. when was it. sometime in the 70's? when everyone hoarded T.P. and alotta other stuff. The shelves at da markets were bare not just cuz of the shortage but because of the hoarding even before shipments began to wane.

Comment

The teachers' strike affected me a great deal, even though I was teaching at a private school. In the long run, it will perhaps affect me more positively than anything else--teachers' salaries going up in this state are good for me, even if my own pay scale is just a fraction of what public school teachers make. I'm conflicted about this, because I don't believe that striking was necessary.

The bus-drivers' strike was a pain in the butt--my car was busted. And the bus drivers are the LAST people in Hawaii who should strike, and the bus-drivers knew it. Their union chief said as much when he said, "Everyone knows that bus-driving is one of the few good jobs in this state, and we want to keep it that way," or something like that.

Nice public relations. "We got ours--all we're asking is for more!"

My favorite strike was the United Public Workers' strike in 1979 or 1980.

Strike that made me the saddest: the symphony musicians' strike.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                            And the bus drivers are the LAST people in Hawaii who should strike, and the bus-drivers knew it.

I spoke with many bus drivers when my car has been in da shop for a few days...
                            They all spoke candidly re; Harris who they said wanted to take away some of their benefits and when Harris was in the public eye, in the media, he made it out that drivers just wanted more. To the person; all drivers gave candid honest words to my query, and somehow I trust them. And not because I am very disinclined to NOT trust jeremy harris.
                            Many other things I won't go into, offered by the bus drivers lead me to lean toward their stance on the subject.

Comment

TheBus strike affected me the most since I use it alot. But between co-workers and friends the service disruption wasn't that bad for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X