Found: Alice of "Chicken Alice's"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Found: Alice of "Chicken Alice's"

Major kudos to the Star-Bulletin and its readers. After a long search, repeated by hundreds of homesick and wistful locals for years, Alice Yang of "Chicken Alice's" has been found. Not only that, but she finally shares the secret of that spicy chicken that sparked fire on our tongues and sparked memories of days past.

Notes Betty Shimabukuro:
    By the way, how much do you really miss these wings? Enough to put your money where your mouth is? Yang is ready to open another restaurant; she's looking for a financial partner. Until then, do it yourself.
    And you can. With some frying skill and Parks brand kim chee sauce.

Too cool.

Re: Found: Alice of "Chicken Alice's"

<Homer>Mmmm, kim chee fried chicken.</Homer>

Comment

Re: Found: Alice of &quot;Chicken Alice's&quot;

Yummy! I'm sure gonna try to cook it...frying skills? Yeah, I think I can do it! Good Morning everyone!
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Well, I went to 99 Ranch Market in search of the sauce, but even though they carry more varieties of sauces than I could have imagined, they don't specifically stock Park brand kim chee sauce. Shucks.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          Well, I went to 99 Ranch Market in search of the sauce, but even though they carry more varieties of sauces than I could have imagined, they don't specifically stock Park brand kim chee sauce. Shucks.
          Big thanks for the heads up on the Chicken Alice recipe. Anyway, I was going to head over to Palama Market (Dillingham location) tomorrow to pick some up. I'll let you know if they have some there...

Comment

Headed over there today, finally. Bingo! Found it. Really big jar was $11.99, sorta big was $8.99, medium was $4.99, and the small... well, wasn't big enough to bother.

Comment

Formerly of Hawaii, now living in CA, it was great to find the Chicken Alice recipe online one day while I was surfing the net! I'm defintely one who missed eating these wings! While in the Islands, I bought some jars of Parks Kim Chee sauce at Daiei and Palama Supermarket and brought it back to CA to make the wings. The taste is VERY close to what I remember them to be! A hit with friends! I remember them to be hotter/spicier so maybe I need to add more kim chee sauce. I've made them twice so far, first time, almost like how I used to buy them, second time, coating a little too heavy. May be due to temperature of oil or because they were marinating in the fridge and I cooked them straight from there, whereas first time they were room temperature. Definitely worth getting the Kim Chee sauce if you can (when I run out I'm going to try a Kim Chee sauce I can get here and see if they taste the same.)

Comment

Hey,
                livinginCA, I never had Chicken Alice, but I got interested in all the articles about this recipe. Seems like the key sauce is the Parks Brand. Like I said I never had these wings so I went looking to find some Kim Chee sauce to make this recipe. In Santa Clara, Ca I found some sauce made by S&B at Han Kook Market and made some for Super Bowl snack. Very tasty and crunchy like they mentioned. Also what's the difference between Kim Chee Baste and Kim Chee Sauce? I got nothing to compare these wings too.

Comment

Working...
                X