Direct Japan to Kona flights begin today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Direct Japan to Kona flights begin today

Well, Oahu loses out again. Kona International Airport is welcoming the first Nagoya to Kona direct charters.

I'm sure some of the Japanese visitors will still go island hopping and even make it to Honolulu for a day or two, but Maui and Kona are benefitting from all the direct flights from Japan now, as the tourists will spend most of their time on those islands instead of on Oahu.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Direct Japan to Kona flights begin today

How does Oahu lose out? Did they remove a Honolulu route to add the Big Island one? For the visitor industry, more flights into any Hawaii airport is something to be happy about. I definitely think the Neighbor Islands have a lot to offer that Honolulu-focused travelers 20 years ago would have missed out on. But these days, I think everyone knows the "neighbor islands" have a lot, if not more, of the "Hawaii experience" to offer. Most of the folks I've met online who've visited made Oahu their first destination, but went straight to Maui or Kauai or the Big Island the second time.

Kona already receives a large number of direct, ocean-crossing flights. This flight is more a big deal because of its origin - a brand new airport in Japan.

And again, depending on your perspective, having a new route dropping people in your town could be seen as a bad thing. As weak as Molokai's economy is, I doubt they'd be entirely happy if they suddenly became hot and cool and the destination for a dozen new jumbo-jet routes a week!

Comment

Re: Direct Japan to Kona flights begin today

I like the idea of having more direct flights to the "other" islands. Don't get me wrong... I love Oahu... and always stay or stop there every trip. We do prefer the Big Island and would like to fly directly there from here in Vancouver and have the option of going to Honolulu for a few days or a week in the middle of our trip. As it is now, we have to go through Honolulu everytime and it can be a little more strenuous. Any added flight is a good flight....as long as now other route has been lost ... I feel...
      Always dreaming about Hawai'i ... :cool: :) :D :eek:

Comment

Working...
      X