John McAffee is haole to da max!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John McAffee is haole to da max!

John McAfee is what most people would describe as a very successful businessman. His suite of antivirus software has made him a very rich man. And as with most rich people, he exudes the kind of hauna smell that we ascribe to haoles in the worse sense of the word...someone who doesn't care about anyone or anything in his path.

This has been made pretty evident in his recent announcement that he intends to sell over 1,000 acres of land just east of Kaunakakai, Molokai in an auction. The same group that stopped cruise ships from making Molokai a port of call is planning to hold protests against the impending sale.

"...When reached Tuesday at a home in Colorado, McAfee seemed not to be bothered by any of the criticism. He said the auction will go on – and disputed the real reasons for the community outrage.

“I’m a rich haole moving into a Hawaiian place, and nobody likes that,” he said....

As for fitting into the Molokai lifestyle, McAfee said he’ll continue to live as he chooses. He owns other property on the East End as well as land on the West End.

“I didn’t move to Hawaii to live as a Hawaiian,” he said. “I moved there to enjoy the beauty and live my own culture as everybody should. That’s what America is.”...

"...McAfee said he decided to sell the parcel in question because “activists” made it difficult for him to develop the land. Last year, according to state records, he was fined $13,000 by the Board of Land and Natural Resources for failing to obtain approvals to remove trees, cut a road and build a structure within the conservation district.

McAfee told The Maui News that he needed to do those things because his land was inaccessible and that Hawaiians often do the same thing but “nothing ever happens to them.”

The landowner said he would return to Molokai on Feb. 26 and would meet with the community – but with one restriction.

“I’ll be happy to talk about anything except the sale of my property,” said McAfee. “If they want to talk about my arrogance, I’ll talk about it. If they want to talk about me being a rich haole, I’ll talk about it. If they want to talk about my (former) drug addiction, I’ll talk about that, but I won’t talk about the sale of the property.”..."

This guy will never understand what aloha is. And you can bet the people of Molokai aren't going to sit quietly while he makes money off the land by selling it to more people like himself.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: John McAffee is haole to da max!

.....Feels ill.

Half or more of my Native Hawaiian roots are traced back to Molokai. I dream of retiring there one day to live a VERY simple life. This article makes me happy to be using Norton Antivirus right now to say the least. Having respect for the culture and people that are native to the land one chose to buy just isn't an option when one is opinionated and rich.
    I'm disgusted and repulsed, and I can't look away.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

“I didn’t move to Hawaii to live as a Hawaiian,” he said. “I moved there to enjoy the beauty and live my own culture as everybody should. That’s what America is.”...
      Miulang
      that's what his version of america is.
      And this is one of many reasons islanders didn't like the idea of becoming another state of america, decades ago and why many still don't like having been appropriated by america.:
      What is now known as:
      "Pulling a McAffee"
      The idea of mainlanders coming here and destroying the culture, making it another el lay.

Comment

He's been putting huge ads in the Friday real estate section of the Wall St. Journal the last couple of weeks. Ugh.

Comment

This is a followup to the original story in the Maui News about John McAfee and his pilau attitude. Can you imagine working in a grocery store in a sleepy town and having a newcomer throw food at you because you don't carry the brand they are used to? Geez...

I'll be on Maui next Friday, so I'll be anxious to hear about what happens with that community meeting McAfee will be having with the likes of Walter Ritte.

Miulang

P.S. Looks like the kanakas on Moloka'i might get the last laugh anyway. Here's a description of the land being auctioned off by McAfee and some of the challenges any potential buyers might face in trying to develop the lots.
          Last edited by Miulang; February 27, 2005, 07:32 PM.
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Today is the scheduled auction of the ahupua'a that John McAfee wants to get rid of.

By dumb luck, I happened to tune into the first 2 hearings that were held on Moloka'i (on Akaku) by the local residents who were upset that he was selling the land to outsiders.

I have to admit that the people of Moloka'i have learned from the mistakes that all the other islands have made and are very passionate about keeping their island's simple way of life as long as possible.

Last Friday, McAfee sat (in lotus position) before more than 200 locals to answer questions. He told the group that it was too late to stop the auction and then told his hard luck story of his life, for which he got some sympathetic applause. I hope ke Akua will help heal the community and bring about the best result from this auction for everyone.

What fries me is that even as McAfee is trying to get rid of this ahupua'a that he bought less than 2 years ago (the thinking is he wants to get rid of it because he's having problems developing it), he already has another land sale in the escrow stage. This is for the 1,700 acre ahupua'a next to the one he's selling! This one has even more cultural significance because it contains the largest heiau on Moloka'i, Iliiliopa'e and the only access to a trail into the valley. The wahine who's selling the property used to allow people to visit the heiau as long as they called her for permission, but I'm pretty sure that unless the State puts restrictions on McAfee, that heiau can no longer be visited by the kanaka maoli.

I loved visiting Moloka'i last year because that's where my father's family had a farm (in Kamalo). I love the lifestyle of the people, and respect their desire to keep things as much as possible the way it's always been.

I pule for the people of Moloka'i. If there was a way to start up a fund to help them purchase back the land for their conservation purposes, I would gladly contribute to that fund. If you want to know how Hawai'i once was (the friendliness of the people, the laid back pace of life) go visit Moloka'i while you still have a chance before the speculators take over.

Miulang
            Last edited by Miulang; March 10, 2005, 09:16 AM.

Comment

As an interesting coincidence to the land sale on Moloka'i today, there were torrential rain storms on Moloka'i yesterday from that Kona storm which forced the closure of 6 schools on Moloka'i. Maybe it was ke Akua's way of crying for his people and what is happening today?

Miulang

Comment

The ahupua'a auction went off as planned yesterday on Moloka'i. The total amount of the land sale was $2.8 million, which was more than double what McAfee paid for it in 2003.

One Moloka'i resident tried to bid on one parcel for the community, but eventually was trumped by the anonymous bidder who won the whole ahupua'a.

Now that the deed is done, all the residents of Moloka'i can do is wait and see what the new owner does with the property. If the buyer's intentions are honorable, he will work with the locals to come up with a way to make the land sale palatable to everyone. The good thing is that there is only one owner of the land, so the locals only have to deal with one more outsider, rather than 9.

Miulang

Comment

hahahahaha! The spirit of the kanaka maoli is smiling today. John McAfee is not purchasing the Mapulehu ahupua'a because it "doesn't serve his needs". What it means is if the sale had gone through, he couldn't build on most of it anyway, because it was deeded as mostly agricultural and conservation land which would require permits from the State to develop (and he's already run into problems with the State).

The land is still up for sale, but now the family that wants to sell it increased their asking price. But now that the truth is out about what can and cannot be done with the land, at least money grubbing developers will be unable to make their profit and run.

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                  X