Anti-Virus Utilities on your PC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-Virus Utilities on your PC...

Just curious to know what kind of antivirus utility you all use on your PCs. I currently use Grisoft's AVG suite. I've been using this for about a year now and I've been very satisfied with it. They seem to come out with updates before the more popular packages, like Norton AV or McAfee Viruscan. Of course, the best thing about AVG is that there is a free version!

I never liked the Norton or McAfee stuff. AVG found more stuff than these two packages. The retail products have also become more "bloatware" often pegging the CPU at weird times. You also have to keep paying for antivirus updates.

I also like using Trendmicro's product, online scanning utility called housecall. I often use housecall along with AVG during "infections" to make sure the viruses are taken care of.

What do you guys use?

Even you mac guys...

Re: Anti-Virus Utilities on your PC...

I have a free suite on my laptop, probably the one you've mentioned, but at work and on most of the machines at home, we went commercial with Norton AntiVirus. I like it well enough, apart from the fact that it's almost impossible to unbundle it from larger packages like "Internet Security," which adds in all sorts of stuff like a software firewall and spam blockers... both useful utilities, except that I've already got stuff like that from other vendors.

Comment

I pay for Norton Antivirus for my home PCs. It's worth the annual fee to know that I'm covered. Regarding the unbundling issue, I purchased and downloaded it online so that wasn't a problem for me. I also periodically sweep my PCs with Trend Micro's web-based HouseCall.

Comment

Every December I go on eBay and spring $15 (shipped) for that year's version of Norton's Internet Security which has the firewall and NAV. It's only the cd (no-box, manual is on the cd) and you still have to register it with Norton's to get the updates for 12 months.

Comment

The comp came with Norton Anti-Virus/Firewall, and the trial expired. So I just got McAfee for free since I use AOL, and turned on Windows Firewall. I like McAfee better, anyway. Had it on my old comp. Use HouseCall on my old when I didn't want to pay to renew the scanner. If I'm feeling paranoid, I'll also scan my comp for spyware and hijackers with Ad-Aware and Spybot.
          myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

At work I use McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i but that's only because there is a site license agreement between the big overall organization I am part of and McAfee.

For home, I initially had Norton Anti-Virus on my new PC but just before the 90 day trial period came on, I switched to McAfee (which is allowed by the site license agreement at work).

Comment

I use McAfee's Virus Scan, but I too got it online, so that's all I've got. I use ZoneAlarm as the firewall.
              http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Norton Internet Security....
                Lovena

Comment

I use AVG on my business computer and am totally satisfied with it. At home I'm still using my 5-user license 2004 Norton Antivirus pack I bought at Office Max for $99 for all of my home computers.

I think I'll be switching off of Norton and going with AVG and pop for the upgraded version. I've had no issues with AVG except when I didn't do the daily update and got hit with a trojan virus. I ended up thinking buying is better so I purchased Norton 2004. When that was corrupted, I reloaded a fresh copy and so far have had no problems, however renewal is coming up in October 2005 and I'm opting on just loading AVG on all of my computers.

As for spyware detection, I'm using Ad-Aware SE. That stuff is also free and works great...if you update diligently.
                  Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
                    Just curious to know what kind of antivirus utility you all use
                    What do you guys use?

Even you mac guys...

as acertained by now, we MAC peeps do not need this at all. I basically live on my mac and have for years, and have no need for the above.
                    How would the virus issue slow me down?!
                    dealing with all the emails re; the various software to eliminate or prevent PC viruses.

Comment

NOD32 baby!!!

But I have AVG as a backup ready to be turned on if NOD32 fails.
                      How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Anyone tried the free home edition from Avast?
                        I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          as acertained by now, we MAC peeps do not need this at all.
                          Ah, Mac users. Unhelpfully smug, but predictable, at least. And as a part-time Mac user and a long-time Mac fan, I say this with love.

Windows users are at least conditioned, by neccessity, to be security conscious. A Mac-specific bug will probably be a bigger jolt to users than the next bug from Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                            Ah, Mac users. Unhelpfully smug, .

yea. we are smug. justifiably. and justifiably unhelpful, too, as much of the time heretofore, it is met with argument or derision.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              yea. we are smug. justifiably. and justifiably unhelpful, too, as much of the time heretofore, it is met with argument or derision.
                              calm down, Bro Kimo!
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X