"4Bangers United"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "4Bangers United"?

How come when I click on da "New Posts" button on the bar on top, get all these posts from da "4Bangers United" section, but when I go to da main menu, no more the section?

[edit] Ohhhh. I read the FAQ and it says the answer. Never mind.
    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; April 19, 2004, 11:24 PM.

Re: "4Bangers United"?

Well, when I clicked on New Posts, I got "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms."

It would be very good if these discusssion forums acted more like Usenet where the newsreader remembers what you have read and lets you read what you haven't yet read.

Comment

Yep. HawaiiThreads.com provides special forums for a couple of other groups. (The FAQ entry is here.) These "parallel communities" are new, and I'm still testing to see how confusing it is to have them partially intermingled (otherwise, those other areas won't have search capabilities). I think once discussions pick up on our side of the fence, it won't be so weird.
      Originally posted by Albert
      It would be very good if these discusssion forums acted more like Usenet where the newsreader remembers what you have read and lets you read what you haven't yet read.
      Usually it does. Once you're logged in (and not viewing the forums as a Guest), there should be a couple of ways to see where there's new stuff.

The main forum will have red hibiscus flowers on the left next to the areas with fresh messages, and there'll be little blue buttons on the right that will take you right to the last post in the listed thread. Or, the 'New Posts' link should simply list them. (When you're not logged in, I think 'New Posts' is just 'Today's Posts').

I'm not sure what happens if you read heaps of threads as a guest, then log in, though. It depends on whether the 'last read' markers are saved by session or by user.

And, of course, if you check the site as often as I do, and with the community still small, I think you're going to get the "no new posts" message quite a bit.

Comment

I've got an update to Glen's original question (and the FAQ): Now the helpful New Posts (for logged in members) and Today's Posts (for guests) links in the HawaiiThreads.com header list posts in the correct forums! That is to say, it should now work the way you'd think it would work.

So, the links in the main HawaiiThreads.com fora will only lists messages within. However, click the same links in GPS Talk, and you'll get only the new posts there. Same goes for our Jeep-loving friends in 4Bangers United. Trust me, they'll be just as happy about this as we are!

The Search function, however, will include everything by default. The advanced options let you specifically include and exclude areas, though.

Albert, are you still getting no help tracking new material?

Comment

Working...
        X