Aloha from Colorado!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Colorado!

O.K., I'm not sure if I'll fit in here but I'm hoping to get some help from you all.

I was looking for a former Naval friend who is Hawaiian, and came accross this site!

I served in the Navy on Oahu form 1984 - 1986. I met and married my husband there!

We are coming back this year to celebrate our 20th anniversay - and I can't remember a whole lot about specific places on the Island.

I'm thinking we want to go to the north shore. We would like to be ON a beach that has mileage for my husband to run (former marine) and me to walk. (and away from the crowds, of course)

Any suggestions???

Thanking you in advance...and counting the days until we go back to paradise!

Danita
    Look good - feel great!
    http://www.danitajones.myarbonne.com

Re: Aloha from Colorado!

Aloha and Welcome to Hawai'i Threads.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by bestbotanicals
      I'm thinking we want to go to the north shore. We would like to be ON a beach that has mileage for my husband to run (former marine) and me to walk. (and away from the crowds, of course) Any suggestions???
      Aloha e Danita! Welcome to HawaiiThreads.com. And good for you in returning to the place where your love first bloomed!

Oahu has no shortage of white sand beaches, so you can just pick one you like and find a nearby hotel. Obviously, to stay away from crowds, you'll want to stay away from much of the southeastern shores. I think the North Shore would work, and the Turtle Bay is a nice spot to get away. If you look a little harder, you could probably even find a more intimate B&B or cottage rental on the Windward Side, in which case Kailua Beach, Lanikai, and the beaches in that area are quite pleasant.

Will you have access to military facilities and accommodations? That might make a big difference. True, the Hale Koa is smack dab in the middle of Waikiki, but there'd be no shortage of activities and it's tough to beat the price.

Comment

Aloha Danita:

One of the most beautiful beaches on O'ahu would be Malaekahana Beach. You'll have all the mileage you need for walking/running. I remember going there as a kid and wading out to Goat Island--but the currents can be strong and I don't recommend it.

And of course Lanikai Beach is another gorgeous, white-sand beach. It's great for walking and swimming. When I was there last summer, Portuguese man-of-war had washed up on the beach; so you'll want to beware of that.
        * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
        - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani
          It's great for walking and swimming. When I was there last summer, Portuguese man-of-war had washed up on the beach; so you'll want to beware of that.

yea. Poddagee mano war too many. erry time, errybody get stung. warning signs all ovah. errybody stay away. steh waikiki side.

k den.

Comment

O.K. So if you had to pick one beach that has a cute little town nearby (walking distance) preferably...which one would it be?

Danita
            Look good - feel great!

Comment

Originally posted by bestbotanicals
              O.K. So if you had to pick one beach that has a cute little town nearby (walking distance) preferably...which one would it be?

Danita

ala moana beach.

x da street cute lil ala moana town.

Comment

Hi Danita:
                Since you haven't been back to Hawai'i in such a long time, please be prepared to be amazed (and probably a little upset) by all the changes that have taken place since you were stationed in Honolulu.

Honolulu has grown up lots in the last 20 years...it's getting more and more like LA, with the congestion on the freeways, all the new buildings, many more people.

Like Tom Wolfe wrote, "You can never go home again."

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Lanikai Beach or Kailua Beach

ala moana beach.

* I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                  - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    ala moana beach.

hehhehehehehehehe Sorry, people, I had to laugh at dis one!

Danita, he's only joking. Ala Moana is a shopping Center Complex across Ala Moana Beach. Ward, Ward II and a new movie complex also is near that beach so the area is per se' a lil town I guess. Apartments and Condo's in between.

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani
                      Lanikai Beach or Kailua Beach

nonononono.
                      stay away too many stinging jellyfish overbuilt too many people too much traffic you won't like it.
                      You will be releived to be back in cute lil ala moana town...
                      Originally posted by 1stwahine
                      Ala Moana..... Ward, Ward II and a new movie complex also is near that beach so the area is per se' a lil town I guess. Apartments and Condo's in between.
                      hey. I have seen too much of the city of lost angels.
                      and how it is never ending. from pch to pomona.
                      from burbank to san pedro.

no. Ala Moana IS a cute lil town.

(and it has a cute lil beach. perfect for jogging.)

Comment

nonononono.
                        stay away too many stinging jellyfish overbuilt too many people too much traffic you won't like it.
                        You will be releived to be back in cute lil ala moana town...
                        Danita, I'm the sane one here. Listen to Auntie Lynn. Don't mind Kimo. Truth is we're both a bit TONED DOWN, you should see when we're not! Ready Kimo? nah, we better not. I got to post, today I hit 400! Pretty soon.....then FIRE CRACKERS!

Comment

hey. I have seen too much of the city of lost angels.
                          and how it is never ending. from pch to pomona.
                          from burbank to san pedro.

no. Ala Moana IS a cute lil town.

(and it has a cute lil beach. perfect for jogging.)
                          Heehee. You must be related to Emmett Watson, a late, lamented columnist for the Seattle Times who used to thrill people who have lived in Seattle for a long time with his columns about Tiger, his dog, and how he wished those Californians would just visit but not move up here to Skidaddle.

He formed a little mythical group called KBO ("Keep the B------- Out") that would try to steer newcomers away from the places that the locals held sacred.

Sorry Kimo, now that the "Hawai'i Revealed" books are out, it's gonna be hard to keep those local spots a secret.

Miulang

BTW: There's nothing wrong with little Ala Moana. It's got everything you need...WM, Daiei, movie theaters, the beach across the street, Ward Centre, the beeeeg shopping mall...
                          Last edited by Miulang; February 24, 2005, 08:40 AM.
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Danita, Tita Miulang is telling it like it is. Once again, PLEZ don't take KIMO seriously! (3 more to go)

Comment

Ok....you guys are killing me -- bad advice, great accents - wish I were there!

I was thinking , "hmmmm, I remember Ala Moana...now where is that?". (won't be staying there!!!) (loved that shopping center!)

I'm not looking forward to seeing the changes. I found out that our favorite hotel "Waikiki Inn" is gone - can't believe it! It was a quant "villiage" type hotel, tucked away in downtown Waikiki.

I will check out Lanikai and Kailua beaches! Tks!

Danita
                              Look good - feel great!

Comment

Working...
                              X