• Show
Clear All

• m.a.c. ; mother of all computers...

still another reason I'm a macman

http://www.peachpit.com/title/0735714266

cain't do dat on a pee see...

Re: m.a.c. ; mother of all computers...

I just luv the idea, and potential;
    complete editing and foley work on a major theatrical release movie... all done on a mac.

Comment

Don't forget about their recent debut of their real-time motion grpahics software.
      I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Not to start an OS war, but I have a friend who keeps reminding me that the Amiga did all that years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          Not to start an OS war, but I have a friend who keeps reminding me that the Amiga did all that years ago.
          Amiga was a great company, and it's sad how everything ended up for them. Have you seen The Deathbed Vigil? It's a video shot by an Amiga employee during the last days. 100% frozen concentrated bitterness. If it weren't for the poor management of that company, they would probably still be around as the kings of consumer video.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

Not war, but discussion, eh?

Yes, amiga! Altho I have been a macman from the Lisa era, I was also contemplating landing an amiga as an adjunct to my arsenal in da office. Was seeing all kindsa great stuffs created for babylon 5 and others with Newtek's Video Toaster; incredible software working on the amiga platform. Alas... got too busy with Adobe premiere and Avid videoshop. couldn't decide on an avid suite or the amiga.

http://www.newtek.com/
            Last edited by kimo55; February 24, 2005, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kamapuaa
              Have you seen The Deathbed Vigil? It's a video shot by an Amiga employee during the last days.

here tis.

looks intriguing.

http://www.frogpondmedia.com/dbv/

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                here tis.

looks intriguing.

http://www.frogpondmedia.com/dbv/
                It's really interesting, but it reminds me too much of my time at SGI for me to be entirely comfortable watching it.

Comment

New security patch for Java 1.4.2 just released yesterday related to a vulnerability in the Mac OS:

"Security Update 2005-002

Available for: Java 1.4.2
                  CVE-ID: CAN-2004-1029
                  Impact: Updates Java to address an issue where an untrusted applet could gain elevated privileges and potentially execute arbitrary code.
                  Description: A vulnerability in the Java Plug-in may allow an untrusted applet to escalate privileges, through JavaScript calling into Java code, including reading and writing files with the privileges of the user running the applet. Releases prior to Java 1.4.2 on Mac OS X are not affected by this vulnerability. Further information is available in Document ID 57591 from Sun."
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    A vulnerability in the Java Plug-in may allow an untrusted applet to escalate privileges, through JavaScript calling into Java code,
                    when i feel vulnerable, not feeling well, and have a bad code, that may escalate,
                    I usually have an applet muffin with my Java each morning...
                    now I gotta be careful...

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                      New security patch for Java 1.4.2 just released yesterday related to a vulnerability in the Mac OS:

"Security Update 2005-002

Available for: Java 1.4.2
                      CVE-ID: CAN-2004-1029
                      Impact: Updates Java to address an issue where an untrusted applet could gain elevated privileges and potentially execute arbitrary code.
                      Description: A vulnerability in the Java Plug-in may allow an untrusted applet to escalate privileges, through JavaScript calling into Java code, including reading and writing files with the privileges of the user running the applet. Releases prior to Java 1.4.2 on Mac OS X are not affected by this vulnerability. Further information is available in Document ID 57591 from Sun."
                      Actually, this is not technically a Mac vulnerability. This is an issue with all platforms from Windows to Solaris. Have I mentioned recently how much I loathe Java?

Comment

just for all you younguns out there, before there was Apple's GUI, there was Xerox. They had a GUI long before Apple was in anyone's eye (get it apple in my eye...rimshot)

And really it shouldn't be Apple/Mac vs PC. Actually even a Mac is a PC. PC is just an acronym for Personal Computer which is what a Mac is as opposed to Unpersonal Computer.

And the problem with MacIntosh computers is that when their latest and greatest comes out, the following year the offer an even better one cheaper! And it has nothing to do with competition because they don't sell their license to anyone but themselves.

And finally if it weren't for the Ipod (which isn't even what their touted to be) Apple would be hard pressed.

And then...

I buy PC only because New Egg allows me to build a computer the way I want it done at a fair price and not because some marketing director said this is the way it has to be done. Apple is too proprietary which makes their products too expensive for everyday number crunching or word processing.

Really the power of a Mac is really justified for Musicians and artists who can utilize it's graphics and audio software support. So for that I call the Mac: Musicians and Artists Computers.

For business I'll stick to Windows and a PC, it's cheaper and it gets the job done.

Since when an Apple breaks, where do you get it fixed? Kinda like my BMW. No one here in Keaau on the Big Island seems to be able to know enough about it or it's multitude of electrical, pressure and temperature sensors in order to fix one.

So my other car is a Chevy, you know a car so easy to fix even a high school kid can fix one on a Saturday watching TV at the same time.

But a Mac...whoa baby, try programming a Mac. What makes it an easy OS up front at the user level is a nightmare in binary. Which is the very opposite with MS-DOS.

Now instead of blaming PC for the virus woes of the internet, we really should be casting our negative energies on those bastards who make everybody's lives miserable when they plant viruses and the like on innocent computer users. I think they rate amongst pedifiles and abusive husbands who hide behind anonymity or pick on indefensible victims to get their jollies off.

Hmmmm conspiracy theory? Its a Mac executive plotting all these viruses against PC's to make everyone buy a Mac! And by buying a Mac is like buying into those terrorist operations fronting as do-gooder non-profit organizations. You feed the terror!!!!

I wonder if Dick Cheney or Dubya have stock in Apple!
                        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

That's what I'm wondering after reading stuff about mac vs pc... why is it that PCs are more vunerable to attack than Macs? That point always seems to come up when comparing the two.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                            And the problem with MacIntosh computers is that when their latest and greatest comes out, the following year the offer an even better one cheaper!

thats a non issue. simply not a problem with mac people.
                            Last edited by kimo55; February 24, 2005, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                              That's what I'm wondering after reading stuff about mac vs pc... why is it that PCs are more vunerable to attack than Macs? That point always seems to come up when comparing the two.

we completely cover this concern many times thru the mac pc threads. read em.

Comment

Working...
                              X