Kyaking and Exploring Advice Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyaking and Exploring Advice Wanted

I will be vacationing on Oahu in 2 weeks. I read about a sunken island that is great for kayaking but have been able to find very little information about it online. Any more information about this would be greatly appreciated. Also, I'd welcome any information about "active" things to do while I'm there. Thanks.

Re: Kyaking and Exploring Advice Wanted

Aloha and Welcome to Hawai'i Threads!

Hey, I'd like to know where the sunken island is...is that the one near Maui where the Lumerians lived? Supposed to be mystical too. It's off limits. Their the same bunch who had others land near Sedona, Arizona, MT. Shasta, and PERU. Was an Army Officer who went there last time to do some research for the Govt. There's no kayaking....hmmmmmmm, maybe. Will check on it and see.
    Last edited by 1stwahine; February 25, 2005, 07:27 AM. Reason: forgot greeting
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha 1stWahine,

From the guide book,the brief description of the island is that it is in Kaneohe Bay, just off the Heeia pier; it's about 1000 acres large and only about 3 or 4 feet underwater; might be called Kapapa Island (not sure). But that is all the info the book had. I've been unable to find any mention of it online.

Comment

You know, even though I thought I'd heard of it, I find it remarkable that the only reference I can find it on the web is in synopses for the book Oahu Revealed, from the company everyone loves to hate for directing tourists to out-of-the-way places cherished by locals.

So, is this sunken island really something carefully guarded? Or something that only this book's authors think is significant?

Ah, but wait! Instead of using the mystical-sounding name "sunken island," what about just calling it a sandbar?

Tada! More than a few references to what I think you're looking for, including a piece in the Star-Bulletin:

Kaneohe sandbar is a goldmine
        Ocean Watch by Susan Scott, Friday, August 10, 2001
        Last week, I joined a boatload of friends on an excursion to the Sand Bar in Kaneohe Bay. This famous area of fine white sand near the center of the bay emerges during low tide, making a unique playground. Often, especially on weekends, boats line up on the downwind side of this bar like puppies at a saucer of milk. Boaters usually set their anchors in the sand by hand, then let their boats float in the deep water off the edge.When we arrived at the area, the tide was in, meaning two to three feet of water covered the sand. To me, this also meant we would have a great day of snorkeling. Snorkeling over sand in shallow water is not most people's idea of a good time, but it's worth it. Sand bottoms, even ones left high and dry at low tide, host entire ecosystems of marine animals.
        Doesn't sound so secret, does it? Still, hope it's what you're looking for!

Comment

Originally posted by jklBruin
          From the guide book,the brief description of the island is that it is in Kaneohe Bay, just off the Heeia pier; it's about 1000 acres large and only about 3 or 4 feet underwater; might be called Kapapa Island (not sure). But that is all the info the book had. I've been unable to find any mention of it online.
          Kapapa is definitely different from the sandbar, which is also fun to visit. Google "Kapapa+Island" and you'll get 109 results. To make it easier for you, go to http://www.oahunaturetours.com/offsh...ds/kapapa.html for some info and for some more pics go to http://photos.yahoo.com/nyuen2001 and click on "Kapapa".
          Two things to keep in mind: there are lots of hammerhead sharks in Kaneohe Bay, so if any of your group are afraid of sharks, be advised. Also, make sure you're experienced kayakers before going out to Kapapa, as you'll encounter some waves, especially close to the island where the ocean waves wrap around it come together again in the front, from where you'll be approaching.
          Have fun, but be safe!

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Hmmmm I lived here in Kaneohe (actually Kahaluu) for most my life and I never heard of any sunken island in the bay. I've been to Kapapa island, Chinaman's Hat, Coconut island and the sandbar via kayak but no sunken island.

Are you planning on hauling the kayaks around with you? Because I'm not aware of any kayak vendors at Heeia pier (maybe there is, I'm not positive). Another good paddle you might want to consider is the Mokes (two islands off of Lanikai Beach in Kailua...Moku something and Moku something...dunno we just called them the Mokes forever). But I know for sure that they got kayaks on the beach there. If not the rental company will bring it to the beach for you.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
              .Moku something and Moku something...dunno we just called them the Mokes forever). But I know for sure that they got kayaks on the beach there.
              Moku Nui Moku Iki
              big and small island.

kayak rentals
              kailua shopping center gettum..
              just b4 kalapawai

http://www.pbase.com/rach1966/2004_hawaii_may_2004

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                Moku Nui Moku Iki
                big and small island.

kayak rentals
                kailua shopping center gettum..
                just b4 kalapawai

http://www.pbase.com/rach1966/2004_hawaii_may_2004
                Thanks... we wouldn't want them going around asking where the mokes are, now would we lol.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                  Thanks... we wouldn't want them going around asking where the mokes are, now would we lol.

grew up in lanikai in the late 60's early 70's and we referred to them as the mokes too.

b4 that hele st, kailua. had a neighbor, name of Moke
                  pronounced mow kee.
                  but we called him
                  moke.
                  he was one, too.

hey why not send da fob's to the mokes?
                  tell em, you find one big blalah, ax em, "you like beef or wot!?"

tell da haole that is a standard greeting to islanders, from the old days.
                  signifies sharing food.
                  huuuuh.

Comment

They are often collectively referred to as the "Mokulua Islands" off Lanikai. Though "Mokulua" means "two islands."

Lanikai Elementary web page has a nice photo.
                    Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

All JUNK!!!!!!I went to find out about the Lemurians of the "Sunken Island" where they kayak all the time...rental free! Keeping the secret ot me, they told me not to tell!hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                      X