Development heating up on Kaua'i's Coconut Coast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Development heating up on Kaua'i's Coconut Coast

Auwe! "...Coconut Plantation Holdings LLC, led by Brickman Associates of New York City, purchased the 12-acre beachfront site next to the Courtyard by Marriott earlier this week from Niu Pia Land Co. Ltd. for about $11 million...."

When we visited Kaua'i a couple of years ago, we stayed at the Islander on the Beach, which is almost next door to the property that was just sold. It was really neat to see that grove of towering coconut palms because that's what Hawai'i is all about.

It's an ever bigger shame that the intent of the developers is to build "condo-tel" units for purchase by second-home buyers. What happened to building "affordable housing units" for the locals? The median price for a home on Kaua'i is almost as bad as it is on Mau'i already.

I used to think the Kaua'i government had a slow- or controlled-growth policy. I guess they are just looking out for the tourist bucks which, granted, will help their economy which still hasn't completely recovered from Iniki, but man, what about the locals?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain
Working...
X