Hawaii's Failing Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii's Failing Schools

This morning in the Advertiser was alarming news that more than 50 of Hawai'i elementary, middle and high schools were in danger of being restructured because they have been unable to meet "No Child Left Behind" standards.

I really sympathize with the school administrators because they are being faced with a double whammy: 1) a shortage of qualified teachers and 2) an influx in some schools of a large immigrant population.

The State will bring in an educational consultant vendor (all from the Mainland) to assist the schools. The saddest thing is, in the Bush Administration's 2006 Budget, the No Child Left Behind Law is going to have its funding cut. So who will pay to get Hawai'i's schools back up to snuff? You, the people of Hawai'i.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: More than 50 Hawai'i Schools Face Restructuring

I am quite confused. In the Honolulu Advertiser article you referenced, makes no mention of the schools recieving federal monies to run the schools.

Sure the State of Hawaii would have to pay for the changes in restructuring. And compared to other schools on the mainland where entire staffs were fired none of this is happening here.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      I am quite confused. In the Honolulu Advertiser article you referenced, makes no mention of the schools recieving federal monies to run the schools.

Sure the State of Hawaii would have to pay for the changes in restructuring. And compared to other schools on the mainland where entire staffs were fired none of this is happening here.
      Your public schools could qualify for No Child Left Behind funding, but you have to meet the minimum standards. That's why it's important to get all those schools up to the minimum standards so the State can qualify for what little federal funding there will be next year. That's better than having to foot the whole bill yourselves.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

So this "restructuring", what is it supposed to involve exactly? As far as I can tell, it could mean anything from taking decisionmaking authority away from the principal, to dictating curriculum, to bringing in 3rd-party providers like Edison, to firing all the teachers and staff and hiring a brand new crop.

I really wonder how any of that will make a difference unless they also seriously address the core issues which have been known for a long time: decent school conditions, small class sizes, and better teacher recruitment and retention. And guess what, folks: these issues cost a lot of money. It costs money to build and maintain decent classrooms, it costs money to hire more teachers, it costs money to hire good teachers, and it costs money to pay them enough to stay. It's infuriating that it may be necessary for NCLB to sanction our schools before the administration admits that these are the real root problems in our classrooms.

Comment

The DOE actually faces a shortage of qualified adminitrators. Here at Hilo High we await our 5 principal in 7 years.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Ultimate penalty....our keiki's futures!

The study released by the nonprofit Education Commission of the States said Hawaii had the highest percentage of schools marked for state-directed takeover and reform -- No Child Left Behind's ultimate penalty.

Did you read about this? Our schools must be in sad shape to rank that low. Why do our keiki have this problem? Is it because the DOE has poor leadership and needs to be revamped or is it because the ones making policy can afford to send thier children to PRIVATE school and don't know first hand the problems in our schools?

Years ago my own uncle was on the BOE ....but his kids went to Kamehameha.I use to think how can he care about the problems of public schools when he has
            no faith in the system?

Can someone explain this to me?

Aloha
            Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
            Flickr

Comment

aloha bear

yup, i think you've got a good point.

i wonder if there's any info online that points out stuff like:

* what percentage of hawaii's teachers with kids send the kids to public vs private schools

* what percentage of doe staff with kids send their kids to public vs private schools

* what percentage of those in public office with kids send their kids to public vs private schools

would be very interesting reading.

(along slightly different lines, what % of those in congress, etc. have kids in the military? my guess is that they've got the bucks and so their kids tend to avoid the military like the plague; still, those guys are sending our kids overseas to fight. nothing new and i don't wanna get sidetracked but just thought i'd throw in my two cents....)
              525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Working...
              X