X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviving the Intraisland Ferry?

Mayor maps out ferry plan
    Crystal Kua, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Tuesday, March 1, 2005
    Mayor Mufi Hannemann's administration is looking at launching a $3 million demonstration intraisland ferry as early as next year to carry commuters between Ewa and downtown Honolulu, city officials said. The administration disclosed details for the first time on the ferry, which was a key component in Hannemann's transportation platform during last year's mayoral campaign. It resurrects a similar attempt by the state six years ago... Toru Hamayasu, city Department of Transportation Services chief planner, said the city learned a lot from the state's WikiWiki ferry demonstration, which ran from October 1999 until December 2000. "To expedite the implementation, we plan to use the existing infrastructure and use available vessels," Hamayasu said. "And lessons learned from WikiWiki service, we will try to get the best bus connections to the landside ports."
    I remember the WikiWiki experiment. I don't know if a second attempt will do the trick. Even with the better infrastructure support (i.e. ferry-serving bus service), I don't know why an Ewa commuter - even one who sits through the thickest clog of the morning drive - would choose to take a boat that still takes longer to get into town. I mean, I'd enjoy the reduced stress of a ride, but I'd still have to get to work on time...
Working...
X