X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jack Johnson

Jack Johnson goes global to promote his new CD
    Derek Paiva, Honolulu Advertiser, Tuesday, March 1, 2005
    Hawai'i singer/songwriter Jack Johnson's third CD, "In Between Dreams," goes on sale today. The CD, recorded at Johnson's North Shore Mango Tree Studios in October, is expected to rack up the million-plus sales of its two predecessors. It arrives almost two years after Johnson's last studio CD, "On And On," which debuted at No. 3 on Billboard's Top 200 album chart and has sold more than 1.1 million copies in the United States. His 2001 debut, "Brushfire Fairytales," has sold more than 1.6 million. With few exceptions, the music hews close to the spare acoustic folk and soft, semispoken lyrics fans have come to recognize and love from the guy.
    I like his stuff, and Derek's review says he's sticking to what's worked to date, so I'll have to check this release out. It's already up at Amazon.com (sans samples, sadly) for a very reasonable $10.99... or at iTunes (with samples) for $9.99.
    Last edited by pzarquon; March 1, 2005, 06:36 AM.

Re: Jack Johnson

Where is this The Mango Tree that Jack Johnson hangs out at? I know its on a beach somewhere on the North Shore but where exactly? I couldn't find a phone listing. Is it a restaurant or his private music studio?

Comment

it's a private studio in his garage...

PS - please help support his Kokua Hawaii Foundation:
      Get the CD 'ROOTS, ROCK, REGGAE: HAWAIIAN ISLANDS'

hwnexp.com/RRR.html
      808shows.com / 808PhotoVault.com / Hawaiian Express Records...

Comment

My wife and I went to Borders this past weekend and they were playing JJ. Very Michael Franks-ish... I like it .

Comment

I caught his video, "Sitting, Waiting, Wishing" at a TV display recently and was fascinated. That filming-in-reverse effect is really cool. Oh, and he sings good, too.

Comment

great album
            song numba 2 is great.
            Jack is one of my favorit musical artists.
            If you havent already, Id recommend checking out his first album
            "brushfire fairytales"

Comment

Jack was on Saturday Night Live this past weekend...but do the local media promote it? How many other singers from Hawaii get that kind of attention.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Wasn't that a rerun? I saw mentions of it posted elsewhere. I'm not sure if it'd warrant altogether that much media fanfare... and you certainly won't get any promotion from a competing TV network!

Comment

Yup, was one rerun...

Comment

Jack Johnson #1 on Billboard Top 200

In the next issue of Billboard Magazine, it will list Jack Johnson with the nation's new #1 album, which is the soundtrack album to the movie Curious George. Sounds like a winner as I sampled a few songs from the iTunes music store. I already own the lead off single "Upside Down" which I bought from iTunes about 3 or 4 weeks ago. Great song.

The album is on sale this week for $9.99 at Tower Records according to the ad that appeared in today's Honolulu Weekly.

Jack Johnson to be #1
                    From HonoluluAdvertiser.com
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Jack Johnson #1 on Billboard Top 200

Follow-up to my post last night... Jack Johnson has the #1 album in the nation. Hot shot debut on the Billboard Top 200 albums:

Hot Shot Debut for "Curious George" Soundtrack

The above link will probably only work for this week and as long as the album stays at #1.

Johnson's Soundtrack for "George" No. 1

Jack Johnson's soundtrack for the film "Curious George" will make history today when it debuts at No. 1 on Billboard magazine's Top 200 albums and rock albums charts.

It's the first CD by a Hawai'i musician to reach, let alone debut at, the top of the magazine's lead album chart, as well as a first No. 1 CD for Johnson. Johnson's No. 1 on the magazine's new rock albums chart also is a first for a Hawai'i musician.

I think this is quite an accomplishment for a local guy. He's up there with all the top nationally known musicians who have made it to #1 Billboard over the years. The Billboard charts aren't perfect but they are still to my understanding the music industry standard when it comes to tracking sales and perhaps airplay too.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Re: Jack Johnson #1 on Billboard Top 200

Originally posted by mel
                        The Billboard charts aren't perfect but they are still to my understanding the music industry standard when it comes to tracking sales and perhaps airplay too.
                        Nope. Soundscan and Mediabase. Get it straight.

Comment

Re: Jack Johnson #1 on Billboard Top 200

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                          Nope. Soundscan and Mediabase. Get it straight.
                          I'm curious, Joe. You constantly jump on Kimo and claim he's being rude, but then you yourself frequently post rude comments like the "Get it straight." one above. So I guess your own question to Kimo now bounces right back at you: was that rudeness to Mel really necessary?
                          It certainly did nothing to help you make your point.
                          I'm just curious.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

If Mel is going to be in charge of a media forum, he should get his information straight.

After being insulted and cursed at numerous times, it's clear he's not interested in showing me any respect. Fine. He'll get none in return.

Again. Soundscan and Mediabase. Not Billboard. They are far more accurate in showing how many albums Johnson sells, and how often his music plays on the radio.

It's not that I'm making a point. The original statement was wrong.

Comment

A former intern of mine manages Jack Johnson. I just received the following info:

"Good news this week! Jack‚s Curious George Soundtrack
                              deputed at #1 on the Billboard Top 200 Chart. Also,
                              he won the International Breakthrough Artist of the
                              Year yesterday at the Brit Awards in London....and had
                              to make a speech and play „Better Together‰ solo and
                              live on national tv!

This weekend CNN will air a piece on Jack and "Curious
                              George" . The main feature will air repeatedly this
                              Sunday (Feb. 19) on CNN Headline News, with a shorter
                              version going to to CNN affiliates this Friday (Feb.
                              17).

--------------------------------------------------

Friday, February 17, 2006:CNN'S "POP LIFE" AFFILIATE
                              FEED Short feature (1:30 in length).
                              (70 domestic affiliates, plus 24 overseas. Domestic
                              affils include WNYW in New York, KTLA and KTTV in Los
                              Angeles, WSVN in Miami, WFLD in Chicago, etc. Airtimes
                              vary depending on city, since it's syndicated.)

Sunday, February 19, 2006:
                              CNN HEADLINE NEWS: "SOUNDCHECK" SEGMENT
                              Longer feature (2:40 in length).
                              (Ordinarily begins airing between 3:45-4:00 pm PACIFIC
                              TIME, then repeats every hour until the following
                              morning -- however, this can change without notice if
                              breaking news throws a monkeywrench in programming;
                              generally about 12 airings)"

Something tells me this kid has a future.

I agree with Cezanne...he's very Michael Frank-ish! I've been a huge Michael Franks fan for almost 30 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X