What happened to local music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to local music?

Now that Hawaii's music has a chance to shine worldwide with it's own Grammy catagory, I'm just wondering..... what happened to the talented artists we had way back in the 70's and early 80's?

Groups like: Olomana,Kalapana.C&K, Country Confort,and the Sunday Manoa all did original music that are classics today. They didn't just "reggaefy " a "cover'' of a mainland hit made 20 years ago and sound no better than your average wedding band. They were "true" atrists . I 'm not saying they is no talent today,it's just that so many artists go the easy way to just put out a record.
    For those who remember HOMEGROWN, this was a showcase to discover new & original talent... I miss it.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: What happened to local music?

ME TOO...I, MISS IT! THERE'S NOTHING LIKE THE SOUNDS OF YESTERYEAR! GOSH, THAT MAKES ME OLD!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

You're not old 1st Wahine.... but the so called "new" music is!

Aloha

Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
        You're not old 1st Wahine.... but the so called "new" music is!

Aloha
        A BIG HUG TO YOU ALOHABEAR! YOU MADE MY DAY!
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Jerry Santos and Olomana are still playing every Friday and Saturday evenings at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Comment

I love listening to my Olomana, Kalapana, Bros Cazimero, Sunday Manoa, C&K, Country Comfort CD's!

Keola Beamer is gonna be in concert up in New Hampshire this coming May. I'm already planning to go!
            Lovena

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
              Jerry Santos and Olomana are still playing every Friday and Saturday evenings at the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
              It's nice to see Jerry still preforms...but without Robert....it's only half of Olomana.

Flickr

Comment

Speaking of Jerry Santos and Olomana, I am looking for the lyrics and translation for one of his songs, "E Haunani" he sang it on the CD "E Mau Ana Ka Ha'aheo-Enduring Pride" If anyone could post them here it would be appreciated

Mahalo
                Pomai

Comment

Go check out Guy Cruz at "on-stage" on kapahulu on thur nights. He is talented as hell!!. John Cruz plays there sun night and the drummer from country comfort plays guitar with him. And you know those guys are good. Coming from a town with a crappy music scene I can't believe the talent in this one little bar. Even Dave the bar tender plays some good tunes!

Comment

hi,i know this is an incorrect place to post only i listen to radio classic's from the 70's-80's and it brings back many memorie's for me and i enjoy it.

Well thank's for your time

Comment

They're all visiting the mainland.

This month in Seattle, we've had/will have visits from:

Brother Noland
                      Willie K
                      Maunalua
                      Makana
                      Keoki Kahumoku
                      Brittni Paiva
                      Charles Michael Brotman
                      Charlie Recaido (remember his band Summer?)
                      Cyril Pahinui - just played in a kanikapila with him on Saturday!

Comment

No one has adequately explained why local Hawaii music CDs cost more (current & catalog) than domestic popular CDs. Currently Sam Goodys are selling all single CD albums for $9.99 each except for Hawaii/Island music.

$9.99 represents the sweet spot in my book where I will spring for a current CD album.

You can find many $9.99 albums (or less for catalog product) at other places such as Amazon.com, BestBuy and WalMart. But these $9.99 album sales almost never include Hawaiian/Island music.

Hence I rarely buy Hawaiian/Island music CDs.

And most Hawaiian/Island music can't be bought online as single tracks either, except for Mountain Apple's catalog and those artists lucky enough to be distributed by a major label such as C & K's first 3 Columbia albums.

Yes, there are some Hawaiian/Island music to be had for $9.99 or maybe less, but not too much. The last "local" artist album I bought was Anuhea. She records for a non-Hawaii label which has somehow found a way to distribute her debut album for $9.99 or less, both in store and online.
                        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I miss Jubilee's on Friday nights!

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Lakio View Post
                            This month in Seattle, we've had/will have visits from:
                            Need to add Kaua`i's Nick Castillo.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                              I'm just wondering..... what happened to the talented artists we had way back in the 70's and early 80's?
                              I have to say it's a sign of the times. Back in the 70's there was the Hawaiian Renaissance where it was in fashion to get back to the roots of Hawaii -- My classic example of this is Jerry Santos' (I think) Ku'u Home o Kahalu'u. Talking about moving forward while embracing the past: "I remember days when we were younger ... when our world was small enough for dreams."

Right now there is no NEW struggle, and I have to say that I believe the music reflects that. We're stuck listening to the same stuff over and over again because we're still in the same struggle -- and why say it anew when the first guys already said it right?

Anyway, that's just my thought in sweeping generalities. I don't know why a lot of new stuff is referential to the past good stuff. But I agree -- 70's and 80's Hawaiian music is the best. Hawaiian Kine 105 all the way.
                              Roseanne and Rambo in one tidy package.

Comment

Working...
                              X