PDA

View Full Version : HawaiiThreads Trivia Game

scrivener
March 3rd, 2005, 08:40 PM
Every day until the end of March, in replies to THIS thread, I'm going to post one, two, or three trivia questions in categories ranging from pop culture to horticulture. If you want to participate, answer the questions in PRIVATE MAIL (click the "private messages" link in the upper-right corner of your screen, under the welcome message) before the NEXT 9:00 p.m. I'll post answers and running scores every day.

This is strictly for fun, but I do have a few nice (little) prizes for the first-, second-, and third-place winners, plus bonus prizes for the loser who submits the most creative answers and the loser who participates most consistently.

Answers are up for debate--if you disagree with my version of the correct answer, we'll open it up for discussion and then I'll rule in the fairest way I can. Remember, it's just for fun! And trust me, the prizes are not worth getting worked up about! They're nice, but they're not THAT nice!

I have run little games like this on bulletin boards, on mailing lists, and on Saimin (r.i.p.), and every time I've done it, someone messes things up and posts his or her answers in PUBLIC. Please, don't do this! Send me your answers in private mail.

So, two quick rules about that: first, if you p/mail me your answers and then change your mind before 9:00 in the evening, I'll accept your most recent submission. Second, if someone posts answers in public, the rules still apply--everyone who submits correct answers in p/mail, even after the public post, will get credit.

Okay. Let the games begin. First questions appear in the next reply.

scrivener
March 3rd, 2005, 09:01 PM
question 1
category: tubular
In what television series was there an episode where a main character dates a very muscular man whose best friends are named bull, moose, and ox?

question 2
category: a circle of life
What significant historical figure was (probably) born in April on the same date on which he died decades later?

question 3
category: rest in peace
By what unexpected hit song was Michael Qseng's "Morning Madness Shuffle" inspired?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 4.

ps: I'm starting with what I think are pretty tough questions. For the first week, expect the questions to range from really easy to really hard. I need to gauge the brain-power in the room!

scrivener
March 4th, 2005, 08:23 PM
question 1
category: tubular
In what television series was there an episode where a main character dates a very muscular man whose best friends are named bull, moose, and ox?

I knew this one was going to be tough. The correct answer is Alice, that Linda-Lavin-starring sitcom based in a diner in Phoenix and based on Martin Scorsese's Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore. The character in question was Jolene (who, I believe, was Flo's replacement). Her admirer's best friends were Ox, Bull, Moose, and Aardvark.

Nobody got this one right. Most guesses were of 50s TV shows, interestingly.

question 2
category: a circle of life
What significant historical figure was (probably) born in April on the same date on which he died decades later?

William Shakespeare was (probably) born on April 23, 1564, and died on April 23, 1616.

Interesting submitted guess: Jesus.

Nobody got this one right.

question 3
category: rest in peace
By what unexpected hit song was Michael Qseng's "Morning Madness Shuffle" inspired?

"Morning Madness Shuffle," which was a sort-of Welcome to Our Cool Show song, featured vocals sung by Michael Qseng, Danielle Tucker, Blanche DuBois, John Berger, and the rest of the regulars. It was directly inspired by a similar song by the Chicago Bears of 1985, who scored a huge hit, thanks to William "The Refrigerator" Perry, called "SuperBowl Shuffle." Nobody got this one right, either.

Okay. The questions were a bit tough. I'll tone it down a little, but will still include the occasional difficult question, just 'cause it's fun. New questions in next post.

scrivener
March 4th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Here are the questions for Day 2, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 5.

question 1
category: words
As specifically as possible, what do the words mimsy, chortle, and galumph have in common? Half a point for an obvious answer, full point for the specific answer I'm really looking for. (Hint: Why these words and not outgrabe as well?)

question 2
category: cinema
What film's dramatis personae includes a fish named Figaro?

question 3
category: computers
What apparently-doomed-from-the-start computer was so ill-fated it actually ran an operating system called "SOS?"

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 5.

scrivener
March 5th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Here are the answers for Day 2.

question 1
category: words
As specifically as possible, what do the words mimsy, chortle, and galumph have in common? Half a point for an obvious answer, full point for the specific answer I'm really looking for.

These are all words that have found their way into the English language (even gaining inclusion in the Oxford English Dictionary) after being invented by Lewis Carrol and appearing in his poem, "Jabberwocky." Lesser dictionaries will give "probably a combination of ..." in their etymologies, but smarter dictionaries will say, "Coined by Lewis Carrol."

question 2
category: cinema
What film's dramatis personae includes a fish named Figaro?

Pinocchio

question 3
category: computers
What apparently-doomed-from-the-start computer was so ill-fated it actually ran an operating system called "SOS?"

Many people blame Steve Jobs for the short, unappreciated life of the Apple /// home computer, but I ask what anyone could expect from a machine whose very operating system is a cry for help.

Thanks for the many submissions; sadly, nobody got correct answers. Keep trying! New questions in the next post.

Linkmeister
March 5th, 2005, 08:30 PM
I immediately recognized Jabberwocky, but your "hint" threw me off. I was trying to imagine some other source for them, since I knew "outgrabe" was from that poem.

The local alternative student weekly in Tucson when I was at the U of A was called "The Frumious Bandersnatch."

scrivener
March 5th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Here are the questions for Day 3, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 6.

question 1
category: Hawaii
What do the building that hosts the Merrie Monarch Festival and the primary arts & sciences classroom building at the University of Hawaii at Hilo have in common? (besides both being in Hilo!)

question 2
category: science
What's missing from this list?
helium
neon
argon
xenon
radon

question 3
category: politics
What university has graduated more future U.S. Presidents than any other?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 6.

scrivener
March 5th, 2005, 08:47 PM
I immediately recognized Jabberwocky, but your "hint" threw me off. I was trying to imagine some other source for them, since I knew "outgrabe" was from that poem.

Sorry about that. I provided that as contrast, since "outgrabe" is not one of the words in the poem that made it as a word in real life.

It has got to be the most quotable poem ever, as evidenced by the "Frumious Bandersnatch." I often express joy by saying, "Oh, frabjous day, callooh callay!"

Linkmeister
March 6th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Mad Magazine did a wonderful parody of it back in the 60s; I don't think it's online, unfortunately. It replaced many of the nonsense words with consumer products:

"Twas Brillo, and the something something
Did Procter/Gamble in the something..."

scrivener
March 6th, 2005, 08:59 PM
Here are the answers for Day 3, followed by the current standings.

question 1
What do the building that hosts the Merrie Monarch Festival and the primary arts & sciences classroom building at the University of Hawaii at Hilo have in common? (besides both being in Hilo!)

They are both named after Edith Kanakaole. The Merrie Monarch is held in the Edith Kanakaole Tennis Stadium (a really cool not-quite-indoors-not-quite-outdoors venue) and most UH-Hilo arts & science classes are held in Edith Kanakaole Hall. Congratulations to Helen and EastCoastTropics for getting this one right.

question 2
category: science
What's missing from this list?
helium
neon
argon
xenon
radon

Congratulations to Helen, Glen Miyashiro, and EastCoastTropics for correctly identifying KRYPTON as the missing noble gas.

question 3
category: politics
What university has graduated more future U.S. Presidents than any other?

John Adam, John Quincy Adams, Teddy Roosevelt, Franklin Roosevelt, and John Kennedy earned undergraduate degrees from Harvard. Congratulations to Helen and EastCoastTropics.

Our Current Standings:
3: Helen, EastCoastTropics
1: Glen Miyashiro

Keep trying, everyone else. There's still a lot of game left. New questions in the next post.

scrivener
March 6th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Here are the questions for Day 4, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 7.
Today, an all-Hawaii list of questions.

question 1
category: neighborhoods
What Oahu town do you live in if your house is in Robinson Heights?

question 2
category: music
In 1985, the late Stevie Ray Vaughn performed in concert at Aloha Stadium. Who were the other two musical acts on the bill?

question 3
category: architecture
A Best Buy is going up in the space that once housed Tony Honda Pearlridge, which occupied a building that was once the old Primo Brewery. What was historically significant about this structure?

Don't be shy! Send in your guesses!
Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 7.

Linkmeister
March 6th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Remembered it:

"Twas Brillo, and the Ivory Soap
Did Procter/Gamble in the Glade..."

scrivener
March 7th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Here are the answers for Day 4.

question 1
category: neighborhoods
What Oahu town do you live in if your house is in Robinson Heights?

That would be historic Waipahu. Congratulations to EastCoastTropics and Surfingfarmboy for their correct responses. Surfingfarmboy adds, "I've been lost in Robinson Heights many times looking for the Wal-Mart!" It's nice to see that his poor sense of direction has paid off at least in this very small way! This was a fun question--expect a few more like it before the end of the month.

question 2
In 1985, the late Stevie Ray Vaughn performed in concert at Aloha Stadium. Who were the other two musical acts on the bill?

Props to Surfingfarmboy for correctly remembering that Stevie Ray Vaughn shared the bill with Bryan Adams and the Police. Why don't they have shows like this anymore? Says EastCoastTropics: "Who's Stevie Ray Vaughn?" I hereby sentence him to downloading from iTunes "Pride and Joy," one of the greatest electric-blues-rock songs ever.

question 3
category: architecture
A Best Buy is going up in the space that once housed Tony Honda Pearlridge, which occupied a building that was once the old Primo Brewery. What was historically significant about this structure?

How quickly we forget! When it was erected, the building that housed the Primo Brewery was the biggest building in Hawaii. Kinda interesting when you think about it--I don't think it was taller than two stories. Nobody remembered this bit of trivia. :( However, these not-so-historically-significant items were suggested (I didn't check the facts, so if they were just wild guesses, let us know, huh?): EastCoastTropics says it was built by the Schlitz Brewing Company. Surfingfarmboy says the brewery was made of bricks shipped to Hawaii from the mainland...and was designed by New York architects.

Current Standings:
4: EastCoastTropics
3: Helen
2: Surfingfarmboy

Remember, there are (small, but nice) prizes for consistent participation and for creative or humorous answers, so keep trying, everyone! New questions in the next post.

scrivener
March 7th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Here are the questions for Day 5, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 8.

question 1
Eminem's rap group has six members, so why is it called the D12?

question 2
category: folklore
According to superstition, where is it considered very bad luck to open a can with bottom-end up?

question 3
category: art
Who painted the painting attached to this post?

These might be a little tough, but don't be shy! Send in your guesses!
Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 8.

scrivener
March 8th, 2005, 08:51 PM
Here are the answers for Day 5!

question 1
Eminem's rap group has six members, so why is it called the D12?

The D is for Detroit (also for Dirty), and the 12 is for the six rappers plus their alter-egos. You know how Eminem has that Slim Shady alter-ego? The others in the group have them, too.

Congratulations to EastCoastTropics for knowing that one! What, ECT? You down wit' da Dee-One-Two? East Side Tropics in da mix, yeeeeeeeeeah boyeeee!

I don't know what Helen's answer means, but it's great! "D6 is already used up by the Klingons." Hey, for all I know that might be right. Em looks like he might be a closeted Trekker, what?

question 2
category: folklore
According to superstition, where is it considered very bad luck to open a can with bottom-end up?

It seems that everyone who answered this read the question wrong. The question was not why it's considered bad luck, but where, and the answer is on a ship or boat. Sailors, who are maybe the most superstitious people in the world, believe that opening a can bottom-end-up confuses the boat and it tries to flip over in order to set things right.

Congratulations to EastCoastTropics, Surfingfarmboy, and Helen not for getting the answer right but for cracking me up with their responses.

Helen: "In the kitchen." Hey, at least Helen understood the question! Although I'd think the bad luck would come when one opened a can in the laundry room, really.

EastCoastTropics: "So the bad luck doesn't run out first." I'm guessing ECT was a philosophy major in college.

Surfingfarmboy: "...in the past, when hygiene wasn't as strict as was today, during the canning process, any food that was rotten would usually rise to the surface...it was quite evident when one opened a can, right-side up, with rotten food on top...even so, the food on the bottom of the can was just as rancid, but it wasn't as evident..tragic results often occured from food poisoning (and deaths) that was/were suffered as a result of those who ate this rancid, yet not so obviously rancid food, (like the rancid food that normally floated to the top of an right-side up unopened can), when they consumed food from a can that was opened bottom side up."

Whew. I don't know how true that is, but as you know, many of our superstitions, especially those related to food, had some basis in practical sense. Thanks for the great answers, people!

question 3
category: art
Who painted the painting attached to this post?

Doggone it! I forgot to change the file-name, and don't think I don't know, Surfingfarmboy, how you got the answer! Yes, SFB nailed it (smugly!), correctly identifying the painting as "Le Mont Sainte-Victoire vu de la carriere Bibemus" by Paul Cezanne. Isn't it a lovely painting? Look at those colors! Picasso admitted once that Cezanne was his "one and only master...the father of us all," and you can see the influence first in those color choices.

Okay. Here are the current scores:
5: EastCoastTropics
3: Helen, Surfingfarmboy

New questions in the next post!

helen
March 8th, 2005, 09:02 PM
The D6 is the type of starship that Klingons use on the 3rd season of the original Star Trek (which is the first time we get to see one) series. Three of them are shown in the begining of Star Trek The Motion Picture. While various sources call the ship D6, it doesn't reference as one until Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

scrivener
March 8th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Here are the questions for Day 6, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 9.

question 1
category: cars
As you know, you can tell by its license plates what island a Hawaii car was first registered on. Big-Island cars have plates beginning with H, Maui-County cars have plates beginning with M, and Kauai cars have plates beginning with K. A look at license plates today shows that Maui's M-series is nearing the end of its run: there are cars sporting plates beginning with MY. Why is the state not concerned about running out of three-letter, three-number plates beginning with M on Maui? In other words, what will be the license plate that immediately follows MZZ 997, MZZ 998, and MZZ 999?

question 2
category: baseball
According to tradition, what do you do at a baseball game midway through the seventh inning?

question 3
category: television
For half a decade, guitarist Peter Maunu was on television almost every night. What was his gig?

Don't be shy! Send in your guesses!
Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 9.

Tomorrow: The most Google-friendly list of questions ever!

scrivener
March 8th, 2005, 09:44 PM
The D6 is the type of starship that Klingons use on the 3rd season of the original Star Trek.

Hm. I thought those ships were called Birds of Prey. No?

helen
March 8th, 2005, 10:32 PM
The Bird of Prey was first used in Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, it's a smaller ship than the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701). Where the D6 (and sometimes the D7, which is the same size as the D6 but slightly more powerful) is about the same size as the USS Enterprise.

The movie Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country had both the D6 (the one carrying the Klingon Chancellor) and the Bird of Prey (the one that could cloak).

scrivener
March 9th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Here are the answers for Day 6!

question 1
category: cars
As you know, you can tell by its license plates what island a Hawaii car was first registered on. Big-Island cars have plates beginning with H, Maui-County cars have plates beginning with M, and Kauai cars have plates beginning with K. A look at license plates today shows that Maui's M-series is nearing the end of its run: there are cars sporting plates beginning with MY. Why is the state not concerned about running out of three-letter, three-number plates beginning with M on Maui? In other words, what will be the license plate that immediately follows MZZ 997, MZZ 998, and MZZ 999?

I am a high-school teacher and take a certain professional pride in being able to ask a clear, unambiguous question that leaves little room for debatable answers. Sadly, I did not demonstrate that with this question. The "in other words" part changed the way the answer would be given so that answering the "in other words" question doesn't really answer the "Why?" question. I blame myself.

So if you got the second part of the question right, I'm giving half a point. Nobody got the first part (the "Why?" part).

The answer I was looking for is this. The reason the state isn't worried about running out of license plates is that it is nowhere near running out of three-letter, three-number combinations. For some reason, the first series of plates that came off the line began with MM, as in MMA 001. Kauai's first plates started with KKA, and the Big Island's first plates began with HHA. Don't ask me why they did this, but they did, so of course Maui's next plates will begin with MAA. The overwhelmingly popular answer is that the plates will "recycle" the series from MAA, which is not correct, but since I asked "what will immediately follow MZZ 999," I have to take that as a correct (half-point) answer. Shout-outs to Helen, ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, and Mel for their half-correct answers!

question 2
category: baseball
According to tradition, what do you do at a baseball game midway through the seventh inning?

The moments separating the top-half of the seventh inning from its bottom-half are known as the Seventh Inning Stretch, where it is tradition to stand up and stretch your legs. The tradition was begun by a US President (I believe Grover Cleveland), who stood up to get some fresh air and to stretch his legs. Of course, everyone else stood, too, and a tradition was born. At many places, this is when "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" (my favorite song of all time) is sung. Two DodgerDogs and one point each to Helen, ZZType, EastCoastTropics (who said that's when you get up and go to the bathroom, but that's good enough for me!), Surfingfarmboy, Mel, and Linkmeister!

question 3
For half a decade, guitarist Peter Maunu was on television almost every night. What was his gig?

A couple of "woof-woofs" and one point each to Helen, ZZType, Mel, and Surfingfarmboy for remembering that Peter Maunu was the guitarist in "The Posse," Arsenio Hall's house band on The Arsenio Hall Show from 1989 to 1994. That band was kickin'--especially Star Parodi, that cute, chipmunk-cheeked keyboardist who now writes movie music with her husband.

Our current scores:
6.5: EastCoastTropics
5.5: Helen, Surfingfarmboy
2.5: ZZType, Mel
1: Glen Miyashiro, Linkmeister

(please add up what you got correct and correct me if my score's wrong).

New questions, next post!

scrivener
March 9th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Here are the questions for Day 7 (super-Google-friendly edition), due by 9:00 in the evening on March 10.

question 1
I was once totally in love with the girl with long, curly, red hair on TV's Head of the Class. What was her character's name? Bonus question: What was her area of expertise?

question 2
category: recreation
What are the title and the month and year of publication of the magazine whose cover offers readers a chance to win a PMI PIRANHA? In case of multiple correct answers, please give a URL where I can confirm your answer.

question 3
What is the address of the building that was once the home of Yick Lung in Honolulu?

The answers are findable with Google, so don't be shy, and don't give up too easily--you may have to use Google to find out what you need to Google to get the answer! I love Google!

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 10.

Tomorrow: Not a single question about television!

scrivener
March 10th, 2005, 09:37 PM
Here are the answers for Day 7 (super-Google-friendly edition!).

question 1
I was once totally in love with the girl with long, curly, red hair on TV's Head of the Class. What was her character's name? Bonus question: What was her area of expertise?

Oh my gosh, she was so beautiful. Turns out she's only sixteen days older than me, too. Yes, as EastCoastTropics, ZZType, and Surfingfarmboy correctly answered, Khrystyne Haje played Simone Foster, the romantic poetry-and-literature specialist in the Individual Honors Program on Head of the Class. Two points each.

question 2
category: recreation
What are the title and the month and year of publication of the magazine whose cover offers readers a chance to win a PMI PIRANHA? In case of multiple correct answers, please give a URL where I can confirm your answer.

The PMI Piranha is a paintball gun, which I'm sure everyone who Googled it found out. Since clearly it had to have been a paintball magazine, Action Pursuit Games would have been a reasonable place to start, and a quick look at APG's website shows a link to past magazine covers. Patient clickers would have discovered that TWO issues offered the free gun: September 2004 and September 1999. ZZType and Helen (who says it was a random guess!) got it right! Says ZZ: "I can't believe how much time I wasted trying to track this one down!" Blaine, Blaine! Don't you know that no time spent pursuing knowledge and education is ever "wasted?" :)

Surfingfarmboy says, "I quit! I have learned more about paintball and "markers" than I ever imagined I would. Wow!..never knew such a sub-culture of paintball exists in the sporting world." Yes, it's true. And as my favorite musician Bruce Cockburn sings, "Every psycopath gets his own magazine these days..."

question 3
What is the address of the building that was once the home of Yick Lung in Honolulu?

Wow, everyone cited the same URL on this one, saying correctly that the old Yick Lung building was at 580 Dillingham Boulevard. Twenty-five cent promo-packs and one point each to Surfingfarmboy, Helen, and ZZType. Oh, that's right--there are no more 25-cent Yick Lung promo-packs. :(

Our current scores:
8.5: EastCoastTropics, Surfingfarmboy
7.5: Helen
6.5: ZZType
2.5: Mel
1: Glen Miyashiro, Linkmeister

scrivener
March 10th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Here are the questions for Day 8, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 11.

question 1
category: children's literature
Who thinks terrific is spelled TEERRRRIIFFIICCCC?

question 2
category: athletics
In order, who are the next two names in this sequence: Len Dawson, Daryle Lamonica, Johnny Unitas, Joe Kapp, Craig Morton, Bob Griese, Billy Kilmer, Fran Tarkenton, Fran Tarkenton . . .

question 3
category: math!
If you have two red carnation leis, two white plumeria leis, and one haku lei to give to five friends graduating from UH-Hilo in May, how many different distributions are possible assuming each friend receives exactly one lei?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 11. There's still plenty of game left, so jump in now if you haven't already--your chances are still good (look at how quickly ZZType has moved up in the rankings!).

Tomorrow: Three Super-Easy Questions (I hope).

Linkmeister
March 11th, 2005, 09:02 AM
In case no one has quite fulfilled his paintball info needs, Sports Illustrated did a lengthy feature article about the inventors a month or two ago. You could find it in a library; I suspect it's behind a subscribers' firewall by now.

scrivener
March 11th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Here are the answers for Day 8.

question 1
category: children's literature
Who thinks terrific is spelled TEERRRRIIFFIICCCC?

In Charlotte's Web, by E.B. White, Charlotte is asking for suggestions from the other barnyard denizens about what to weave into her next web (you know, so she can save Wilbur). "Terrific" is agreed upon, and Charlotte asks for confirmation on its spelling. Goose says, "T, double E, double R, double R, double I, double F, double I, double C, C, C!" Two eggs and a side of bacon for ZZType who got it right!

question 2
In order, who are the next two names in this sequence: Len Dawson, Daryle Lamonica, Johnny Unitas, Joe Kapp, Craig Morton, Bob Griese, Billy Kilmer, Fran Tarkenton, Fran Tarkenton . . .

These are, in order, the losing starting quarterbacks in SuperBowls I through IX. The losing quarterback in SuperBowls X and XI were Roger Staubach (losing to Terry Bradshaw) and Fran Tarkenton (losing to my favorite athlete of all time, Ken Stabler). Poor Fran. At least That's Incredible was still down the road for him! Congrats to Linkmeister and Surfingfarmboy for knowing their losers!

question 3
category: math!
If you have two red carnation leis, two white plumeria leis, and one haku lei to give to five friends graduating from UH-Hilo in May, how many different distributions are possible assuming each friend receives exactly one lei?

I'll be explaining the math part of this later, but it's basically 5! / (2! 2! 1!), making the correct answer 30. Leis to Surfingfarmboy who got it right, and further suggests that after the ceremony, we all celebrate at Hilo Homemade Ice Cream (it's downtown--I've been there and it's wonderful). I'll second that.

Our current scores:
10.5: Surfingfarmboy
8.5: EastCoastTropics
7.5: Helen, ZZType
2: Linkmeister

scrivener
March 11th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Here are the questions for Day 9, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 12.

question 1
category: food
Why is a 3 Musketeers candy-bar called that?

question 2
What does TCBY (as in frozen yogurt) stand for?

question 3
category: food (but not really)
What comic-strip character has a cat named Hot Dog and a dog named Ruff?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 12. Jump on in--the water's fine!

zztype
March 11th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Here are the answers for Day 8.

question 2

These are, in order, the losing starting quarterbacks in SuperBowls I through IX. The losing quarterback in SuperBowls X and XI were Roger Staubach (losing to Terry Bradshaw) and Fran Tarkenton (losing to my favorite athlete of all time, Ken Stabler). Poor Fran. At least That's Incredible was still down the road for him! Congrats to Linkmeister and Surfingfarmboy for knowing their losers!

Hey, yah... I have it on two sources, one being the Pro Football Hall of Fame that your number 3 loser, Johnny Unitas, is WRONG! That's what threw me. I printed both of these pages and everything matched except for Super Bowl III. Johnny Unitas didn't start SBIII, according to The Hall and the St. Petersburg Times. That would be Earl Morrall. So where does Unitas come in??

Pro Football Hall of Fame (http://admin.profootballhof.com/history/release.jsp?release_id=97)

St. Petersburg Times (http://www.sptimes.com/News/011501/news_pf/SuperBowl2001/He_could_gloat_But_he.shtml)

Not to be a sore loser, but please clarify.

Mahalo!

ZZ

scrivener
March 11th, 2005, 10:15 PM
I'm getting ready for tomorrow's Oahu Mathematics League meet, so I don't have time to investigate this just now. I will, however, check it out! Don't apologize--I totally want to get this stuff right.

My original source was the same as it is for all these questions: My own memory for useless information. On items like this, I usually verify the accuracy of my memory, and in this case I looked at the official SuperBowl website of the NFL (superbowl.com). I'll definitely take another look.

scrivener
March 11th, 2005, 10:25 PM
Unitas 24---11---110---0---1
Morrall 17----6----71----0---3

You might be right about the starting QB being Morrall (and I don't dispute it). I guess I considered Unitas the losing (if not starting) quarterback for Baltimore since he threw more passes for more yardage. In any case, I think Staubach and Tarkenton still answer the question as it was asked--it's definitely a list of QBs from losing SuperBowl teams.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll try to be more careful in the future!

zztype
March 12th, 2005, 07:24 AM
But your seed list was of the losing starting quarterbacks. I agree, the answer to your question, as asked, was Staubach and Tarkenton.

I was considering sending that in, but my list of starting quarterbacks did not include Unitas in SBIII. Therefore I concluded my list was the wrong one and conceded the question.

Had your list contained the correct starting losing QB for SBIII, Morrall, I would have concluded that I had the right list and would have submitted Staubach and Tarkenton as my answer.

I submitted my sources as part of my answer and you can verify that I was actually looking at the correct list. May I suggest that I be awarded the points for the correct answer, after all? :)

Or does the Hall of Fame list the wrong starting losing QB for SBIII?

Is the contest all pau? :(

"I'll take 'HawaiiStories Trivia' for $2,000, Alex!"

scrivener
March 12th, 2005, 01:42 PM
I submitted my sources as part of my answer and you can verify that I was actually looking at the correct list. May I suggest that I be awarded the points for the correct answer, after all? :)

Is the contest all pau? :(

When in doubt, award the point--that's what I always say. So yes, I'll give the point and make the adjustment when I post the updated scores tonight. And the game goes until the end of the month, so keep plugging away.

Good idea, including the URL. Thanks for being patient.

scrivener
March 12th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Here are the answers for Day 9!

question 1
Why is a 3 Musketeers candy-bar called that?

You used to get it in three pieces, with each piece flavored differently (the middle was still that fluffy stuff, but it came in strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate). It's just one flavor now (chocolate), but the name remains.

Kudos, Good News, Big Hunks to EastCoastTropics, Surfingfarmboy, LikaNui, and ZZType for taking a bite out of that one.

Bonus Trivia from Surfingfarmboy: "Some trivia for you, speaking of Mars: It is possible to buy a round trip ticket to Mars. The Mars commuter train station located on the west side of Chicago, that is. Though not a heavily used stop by commuters, it has been there for as long as I can remember. (Called "Mars" because there once was an M&M plant right by the stop.)"

Honorable mention from Helen: "The inside of the candy bar is like a chocolate mousse, which is what the 3 Musketeers like to eat." Helen, are you sure you weren't a philosophy major in college? :)

question 2
What does TCBY (as in frozen yogurt) stand for?

Well. It stands, of course, for "The Country's Best Yogurt." Surfingfarmboy, Helen, and ZZType got that and thus get the point.

However, EastCoastTropics, Linkmeister, and LikaNui gave an answer I'd never heard of: "This Can't Be Yogurt." At first, I thought there must be some bad info on the Net (it's been known to happen, you know!), because I was very, very confident in my answer, and because there was a better franchise in the eighties called I Can't Believe It's Yogurt (in Hawaii, it was at Times Sqauare in Waimalu and next to I Love Country Cafe on Piikoi) and I figured people online were just getting confused. It turns out that not only is "This Can't Be Yogurt" also correct, but it is, in fact, a better answer. Check out the very well-written, hilarious story at Slate (http://slate.msn.com/id/2099747). So it humbles me to say this: Points also to EastCoastTropics, Linkmeister, and LikaNui.

question 3
category: food (but not really)
What comic-strip character has a cat named Hot Dog and a dog named Ruff?

Why, it's Dennis the Menace, of course! Hey, have you ever noticed how totally HOT Dennis's mom is? She almost gives Jessica Rabbit a run for her money. You know, her name is Mrs. Mitchell, and my name is Mitchell. We were meant for each other, I tellya! Cookies and milk for EastCoastTropics, Linkmeister, Surfingfarmboy, Helen, LikaNui, and ZZType.

13.5: Surfingfarmboy
11.5: EastCoastTropics, ZZType
9.5: Helen
4: Linkmeister
3: LikaNui

I'm really enjoying your participation in this, so thanks.

scrivener
March 12th, 2005, 09:20 PM
Here are the questions for Day 10, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 13.
Today: All-Hawaii-Schools Edition!

question 1
Oh, man. I will be pleasantly shocked if someone gets this one.
As most of you know, Pac-5 is a collective of private schools on Oahu, each of which is too small to field its own sports teams. The name came from the original five schools, although the collective is now made up of at least a dozen schools. Before it became Pac-5, though, what was its name?

question 2
category: history
What item of whole-world historical significance is on display at Honolulu Community College?

question 3
At what Hawaii school did Jimi Hendrix perform in 1970?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 13.
You know you want to!

scrivener
March 12th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Hey. I'm wondering if someone will volunteer to keep a hardcopy update of the daily scores. I'm too disorganized (and lazy) to do so, but if something should happen to HawaiiThreads or if there is some kind of discrepancy, it would be nice if there was backup data. Thanks in advance.

scrivener
March 13th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Here are the answers for Day 10!

question 1
Oh, man. I will be pleasantly shocked if someone gets this one.
As most of you know, Pac-5 is a collective of private schools on Oahu, each of which is too small to field its own sports teams. The name came from the original five schools, although the collective is now made up of at least a dozen schools. Before it became Pac-5, though, what was its name?

It sounds as if a lot of you got your answers from this website (http://members.fortunecity.com/bt_lonewolf/history.htm). I hope you read some of the text there and realized two things: First, this is not necessarily a person who knew what he was talking about and second, neither was this person an HBA graduate (we teach 'em to read and write there)! Still, he happens to be right about the original name being HUMMR (pronounced Hummer). The letters stood for the five original schools: Hawaii Baptist Academy, University Laboratory School, Mid-Pacific Institute, Maryknoll School, and Our Redeemer Lutheran. So two cheers (one for each Prep Bowl the Wolfpack won) to ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, and EastCoastTropics for getting it right.

question 2
What item of whole-world historical significance is on display at Honolulu Community College?

The answer I was looking for was a huge chunk of the Berlin Wall, which Helen (who works there!), Surfingfarmboy, Linkmeister, and EastCoastTropics all knew. However, ZZType, in what is becoming his usual fashion, found another answer I think should be counted: Dinosaurs (http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/dinos/dinos.1.html). Now is the time on Sprockets when we dance!

By the way, EastCoastTropics has some really cool pictures of the wall in Berlin; perhaps she'll post them here for the rest of you to see. I'd do it myself, but I'm kind of in a hurry tonight.

question 3
At what Hawaii school did Jimi Hendrix perform in 1970?

That would be the legendary Rainbow Bridge concert at Seabury Hall on Maui. Those Seabury kids--they get everything! Tie-dye dashikis to ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, and EastCoastTropics!

Here are the current scores:
16.5: Surfingfarmboy
14.5: EastCoastTropics, ZZType
10.5: Helen
5: Linkmeister

New questions in the next post!

scrivener
March 13th, 2005, 11:37 PM
Here are the questions for Day 11, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 14.

question 1
In one of Johnny Carson's "Carnack the Great" routines, Carnack gave the answer, "Sis boom bah!" What was the question in the envelope?

question 2
category: movies
In the recent Bravo special that counted down the scariest moments in movies, what film finished in the top (number 1) spot?

question 3
In that classic 80s film Footloose, the school bully challenges Reyn (Kevin Bacon) to a game of chicken. What vehicles do the boys race toward each other?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 14.
You know you want to!

zztype
March 14th, 2005, 01:30 PM
question 2

The answer I was looking for was a huge chunk of the Berlin Wall...
Here's an info page on the Berlin Wall Freedom Monument (http://honolulu.hawaii.edu/highlights/berlin/) at Honolulu Community College, with photos.

EastCoastTropics
March 14th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Mahalo for the link ZZType!!

Last summer my husband, youngest DD and I visited Berlin, Germany.
What a beautiful country....and ono Mettwurst too! Anyways, I took many photos! Here are just a few.....

This one shows the path of the wall lined with stones.
This is the path of the wall that separated the east from the west.
This photo was taken just next to the the Brandenburger Tor (gate).
The Brandenburger Tor marked the boundary between East and West Berlin.
http://eastcoasttropics.com/files/berlin1.jpg

This is part of the Berlin Wall that still stands.
http://eastcoasttropics.com/files/berlin2.jpg

Ok, I know this isn't the Berlin Wall, but I had to throw this BEAUTY in.
On our way to the Brandenburger Tor we stopped off at this showroom.
They let you sit in all the other cars 'cept dis one! hrruuummmppphh! :D
http://eastcoasttropics.com/files/berlin3.jpg

L

scrivener
March 14th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Here are the answers for Day 11.

question 1
In one of Johnny Carson's "Carnack the Great" routines, Carnack gave the answer, "Sis boom bah!" What was the question in the envelope?

"Sis boom bah."
"Sis boom bah."
"Describe the sound of an exploding sheep."

Big, wet kisses from Don Rickles to EastCoastTropics, ZZType, and Surfingfarmboy for nailing that one.

question 2
In the recent Bravo special that counted down the scariest moments in movies, what film finished in the top (number 1) spot?

Have you seen this special? It dang-near freaked me out. There's some scary stuff out there! Well, I would have guessed Psycho, but that only finished fourth. It was Jaws that took top honors, as Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, Mel, and EastCoastTropics submitted.

Check out the whole list at Bravo (http://www.bravotv.com/The_100_Scariest_Movie_Moments). But really, see the special (they've been showing it repeatedly). It is FREAKY.

question 3
In that classic 80s film Footloose, the school bully challenges Reyn (Kevin Bacon) to a game of chicken. What vehicles do the boys race toward each other?

"You're playing / So cool / Obeying every rule / Dig way down in your heart / You're burning, yearning for some / Somebody to tell you / That life ain't a-passing you by / I'm tryin' to tell you / It will if you don't even try! / You can fly! / If you'd only cut loose...Footloose..."

It's a dated movie, but it's undeniably memorable, plus Kevin Bacon, Christopher Penn, and Sarah Jessica Parker before they were who they became. In the big chicken scene, Kevin Bacon and the guy who plays Lori Singer's boyfriend race TRACTORS at each other. Quiet Riot tapes to Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, Mel, and EastCoastTropics for dancing off with that one ("Dancing in the Sheets," maybe?).

Here are the current standings:
19.5: Surfingfarmboy
17.5: EastCoastTropics, ZZType
10.5: Helen
4.5: Mel

zztype
March 14th, 2005, 08:43 PM
One small point: You spell it "Carnack" but JohnnyCarson.com spells it "Carnac." I think they have it right. :)

And thanks for the fun contest! Whee!

scrivener
March 14th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Here are the questions for Day 12, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 15.

question 1
What competition did Jasmine Kaneshiro win this past Sunday afternoon? (be as specific as possible!)

question 2
What is the name of the Green Giant (as in "Ho ho ho -- Green Giant!")'s little sidekick?

question 3
What do you call that Mediterranean spread made from roasted eggplant, lemon juice, and tahini (among other ingredients)?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 15.
The contest isn't even half over, so there's plenty of time to get into the swing!

scrivener
March 14th, 2005, 09:03 PM
One small point: You spell it "Carnack" but JohnnyCarson.com spells it "Carnac." I think they have it right. :)

Yeah, well, I also mispelled Kevin Bacon's character's name in Footloose, so it wasn't a great spelling day for me from top to bottom! I won't pretend that this isn't the kind of thing that drives me crazy!

And you're welcome. I'm enjoying it as much as you, if not more!

scrivener
March 15th, 2005, 08:30 PM
Here are the answers for Day 12, which must have been Too-Easily-Googled Day.

question 1
What competition did Jasmine Kaneshiro win this past Sunday afternoon? (be as specific as possible!)

The seventh-grader from Hawaii Baptist Academy (Eagles represent!) won the Hawaii State Spelling Bee and flies to Washington to compete in the nationals. One P-O-I-N-T each to ZZType, Helen, EastCoastTropics, and Surfingfarmboy.

question 2
What is the name of the Green Giant (as in "Ho ho ho -- Green Giant!")'s little sidekick?

That would be Little Green Sprout or just Sprout. I always wondered exactly what kind of sprout he was. Asparagus? Nibbits to ZZtype, Helen, EastCoastTropics, Surfingfarmboy, and Kilinahe.

I didn't even think about it, but that makes two days in a row with questions related to farming. Says Surfingfarmboy: "Another question any farmboy worth his weight in fertilizer can easily answer!" I'll bet you can sling your own weight in fertilizer too, hm? :)

question 3
What do you call that Mediterranean spread made from roasted eggplant, lemon juice, and tahini (among other ingredients)?

MMMmmmmMMMmmMmmmMMm! I wish I had some Baba Ganoush (spellings vary) now! If you haven't eaten at the Olive Tree in Kahala, you really must. Don't start with the baba ganoush, though. Get the chicken souvlaki and the hummus first. Best hummus I've ever had. Shawermas and spanokopitas to ZZType, Kilinahe, Surfingfarmboy, and EastCoastTropics!

22.5: Surfingfarmboy
20.5: EastCoastTropics, ZZType
12.5: Helen
4.5: Mel
2: Kilinahe

scrivener
March 15th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Here are the questions for Day 13, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 16.
Today, I attempt to write a Google-proof set of three questions. These aren't necessarily difficult, just not Googleable (I hope).

question 1
category: marketing
What product is this song hawking?
Meow meow meow meow,
Meow meow meow meow,
Meow meow meow meow MEOW meow meow meow!

question 2
category: film
In the current Will Smith film, Hitch, Kevin James takes Amber Valletta to a basketball game. What does he teach her to do there?

question 3
Who was the first person in Hawaii tried for murder for deaths caused by driving while drunk?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 16.

scrivener
March 16th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Here are the answers for Day 13.

question 1
category: marketing
What product is this song hawking?
Meow meow meow meow,
Meow meow meow meow,
Meow meow meow meow MEOW meow meow meow!

Yes, it's Meow Mix. Cats ask for it by name, you know. Two meows up to Helen, Mel, Surfingfarmboy, Linkmeister, EastCoastTropics, and ZZType!

question 2
category: film
In the current Will Smith film, Hitch, Kevin James takes Amber Valletta to a basketball game. What does he teach her to do there?

Ah. I know there's a lot of stuff out there about this movie, but I remembered a great detail that almost nobody wrote about, but which anyone who saw it would almost certainly remember. Kevin James (who really makes this movie, by the way--I recommend it with enthusiasm to anyone who likes romantic comedies, as I do, and with caution to anyone else) teaches Amber Valletta to whistle with her fingers in her mouth. And they say chivalry is dead. Loud whistles to Surfingfarmboy, the only participant to p/mail me a correct answer!

question 3
Who was the first person in Hawaii tried for murder for deaths caused by driving while drunk?

I knew this was going to happen eventually. I am, in fact, moderately surprised it took this long. I am voiding this question because I can't get what I consider a definitive answer and since the nature of the question leaves little room for guessing, I can't just give credit to everyone who ventured an answer. Sorry if this ticks anyone off, but oh well. It's just a game and it was not a good question.

I was certain that it was Bucky Lake (which ZZType also was going to guess), but then found a million other, conflicting answers. One of Lake's passengers was my friend, Ayce Esteban, who was sixteen and a student at Moanalua High, so it's something I think about frequently and thought I remembered well. In any case, it's not a pleasant question and perhaps I should have stayed away from it in the first place. I'll do better for the remainder of the game. I hope.

24.5: Surfingfarmboy
21.5: EastCoastTropics, ZZType
13.5: Helen
6: Linkmeister
5.5: Mel
2: Kilinahe

New, happier questions in the next post!

scrivener
March 16th, 2005, 09:28 PM
Here are the questions for Day 14, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 17.
Today: We could all use a smile.

question 1
category: cartoons
What is this guy's name?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/image1.jpg

question 2
category: my favorite riddle
Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?

question 3
category: comedy
Who once said, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 17.

scrivener
March 17th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Here are the answers for Day 14, our highest-scoring day yet!

question 1
category: cartoons
What is this guy's name?

http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/image1.jpg

He's The Best
He's The Greatest
He's The Greatest Secret Agent In The World!
He's The Ace - He's Amazing...
He's the Strongest... He's The Quickest... He's The Best!
Danger Mouse!

Thanks to ZZType for the lyrics to the theme song! And Hip-Hips for a jolly good show from Kimo55, Helen, Moto, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, and EastCoastTropics for correctly identifying the British rodent!

question 2
category: my favorite riddle
Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?

I never get tired of this riddle! It cracks me up every time! Of course the chicken crossed the Mobius strip to get to the same side! Clucks to Kimo55, Mel, Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, Kalei99, and EastCoastTropics for untangling the Mobius!

question 3
category: comedy
Who once said, "You can't have everything. Where would you put it?"

That would be the hilarious Steven Wright. Read this list of correct respondents in a low monotone: Kimo55, Mel, Surfingfarmboy, ZZtype, Kalei99, Kilinahe, EastCoastTropics, and Linkmeister.

27.5: Surfingfarmboy
24.5: EastCoastTropics, ZZType
14.5: Helen
7.5: Mel
7: Linkmeister
3: LikaNui, Kimo55, Kalei99, Kilinahe
1: Glen Miyashiro, Moto

scrivener
March 17th, 2005, 10:40 PM
Here are the questions for Day 15, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 18.

question 1
category: school days
For one-fourth of a point each, name the Hawaii high schools whose teams are named:
The Troubadors
The Daggers
The Seasiders (yes, that's not a typo)
The Admirals
The Bears
The Dolphins
The Golden Hawks
The Vikings

question 2
category: stuff
Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, _______, and _________. What are the missing words?

question 3
category: other stuff
What publication's motto is "All the news that fits?"

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 18.

scrivener
March 18th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Here are the answers for Day 15! We're getting participants in record numbers!

question 1
category: school days
For one-fourth of a point each, name the Hawaii high schools whose teams are named:
The Troubadors -- Saint Francis
The Daggers -- Pahoa High School
The Seasiders -- Laupahoehoe High School
The Admirals -- ASSETS School
The Bears -- Baldwin High School
The Dolphins -- Academy of the Pacific OR Kula High School
The Golden Hawks -- Nanakuli High School
The Vikings -- Hilo High School

Rah-rah to Helen (1 correct), Mel (2), ZZType (8), Moto (8), Surfingfarmboy (8), EastCoastTropics (8), and Kalei99 (8).

question 2
category: stuff
Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, _______, and _________. What are the missing words?

Helen, ZZType, Kilinahe, Moto, Linkmeister, Surfingfarmboy, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99 recognized the Boy Scout Law ('though some said it was the Scout Oath, which is something different) and gave the correct conclusion: "clean," and "reverent."

question 3
category: other stuff
What publication's motto is "All the news that fits?"

There seems to be some debate on the correct answer, but let me give mine and then open it up for discussion for anyone who thinks he or she has a legitimate beef. Across the top of the Table of Contents of every issue of Rolling Stone are the words, "All the news that fits." Yes, I know the New York Times has a similar slogan, and I know that the cliche has pervaded many areas of our culture, but these exact words have been associated with the Stone for a long time. If you can demonstrate that another periodical also prints these words consistently, I'll take your answer.

Meanwhile, howsabout some devil-horn salutes to Kilinahe and Surfingfarmboy for giving the answer I had in mind? Rock and roll!

31.5: Surfingfarmboy
27.5: EastCoastTropics,
27.5: ZZType
15.75: Helen
9.5: Mel
6: Kalei99
5: Kilinahe
4: Moto
3: LikaNui, Kimo55

scrivener
March 18th, 2005, 09:06 PM
Here are the questions for Day 16, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 19.

question 1
There is a street in Honolulu that runs west from Punahou Street to Kamehameha Highway, moving through Makiki, Nuuanu, and Kalihi while adopting five different names along the way. In order from east to west, what are these five names?

question 2
category: beverages
What non-alcoholic favorite is properly made by adding grenadine to ginger ale and garnishing with a cherry?

question 3
category: tv and music
What's the name of the child actor who played Darren and Samantha Stevens's son on Bewitched, and what California band did he later front for fifteen years?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 19.

Please be aware that I am now officially on spring break, and may not always be home around nine p.m. every night. I'll pretty much always have new questions up by sun-up in Honolulu, though.

Linkmeister
March 19th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Actually, the NYT motto is "All the News That's Fit to Print", a rather crucial difference.

kimo55
March 19th, 2005, 07:25 AM
or like the motto of hawaiinews.com:

"all the news that fits, we print."

zztype
March 19th, 2005, 07:59 AM
Google: "All the News That Fits" (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=%22All+the+news+that+fits%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

Results 1 - 10 of about 22,200 for "All the news that fits"

Note that Rolling Stone doesn't even show up in the first several pages of that Google search. It may be there, but it is BURIED by all the other users of that phrase.

Rolling Stone may use it, but so does anyone and everyone else, it seems.

Blaine

scrivener
March 19th, 2005, 08:26 AM
The fact that many others use it doesn't mean it's anyone else's motto or slogan. My guess is that the NYT's came first and the variants came after--it is a catchy phrase, after all. Perhaps the Stone was first to adopt this particular variant, or perhaps someone else was, but in my Google-searching, I didn't find another publication that uses it across the masthead or as a subtitle on the table of contents. The Playboy Bunny is rather ubiquitous, too, but it gets used all over the place with very little direct reference to the publication.

The fact that the Stone doesn't show up within the first several pages of a Google search doesn't mean a whole lot either. The phrase is a regular part of the print edition of the magazine, while the website seems to be something completely different. "Be Prepared" is the Scout motto, and everyone knows it; still, it doesn't show up within the first hundred Google returns either.

pzarquon
March 19th, 2005, 05:12 PM
I knew it was Rolling Stone as well. The full and original slogan is the Times', but because of its fame (or infamy), some of the derivatives have become nearly as well known. ("All the news that's fit to blog" is a common one now, of course, along with "The future will be blogged," ad nauseum.)

HawaiiNews.com or any other news website, frankly, could go with stuff like, "Who cares if it fits - what print?" An article can be 500 or 50,000 words online, and trees don't die (at least not directly), just helpless electrons.

scrivener
March 19th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Here are the answers for Day 16: The Day I Admit I Am An Idiot.

question 1
There is a street in Honolulu that runs west from Punahou Street to Kamehameha Highway, moving through Makiki, Nuuanu, and Kalihi while adopting five different names along the way. In order from east to west, what are these five names?

It's my favorite way home from just about anywhere in town and a really great bike-ride, too, if that hill near Roosevelt High doesn't murder me. Mel, Kimo55, Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, and Moto correctly submitted Nehoa Street, Prospect Street, Iolani Avenue, School Street, and Middle Street as the names this bizarre roadway ticks off as you drive in the Ewa direction. I'm giving Helen a half-point for naming four of five.

I really like this question, and it sounded like some of you enjoyed answering it. This is nice to know, especially considering that I am an idiot!

question 2
category: beverages
What non-alcoholic favorite is properly made by adding grenadine to ginger ale and garnishing with a cherry?

Cheers to Helen, Surfingfarmboy, Kimo55, ZZType, and Moto for correctly identifying the Shirley Temple. Several people mentioned that 7-Up is often substituted for ginger ale, which is true, but that's not a proper Shirley Temple and places that make such a substitution should be ashamed of themselves. I've been places that also substitute cherry syrup for grenadine. You can imagine my disdain.

question 3
category: tv and music
What's the name of the child actor who played Darren and Samantha Stevens's son on Bewitched, and what California band did he later front for fifteen years?

Okay, here's where I admit I am an idiot. See, I'm not a big fan of the TV show, but I am a big fan of the band. Gene "Eugene" Andrusco was the frontman of Adam Again, a California band that is one of my all-time favorites. When he died in 2000, tributes sprung up all over, and nearly every one mentioned that Gene had played Adam Stephens on Bewitched, which is true, but as several people pointed out, he only played him in one episode (he later played in a guest role in another episode). I didn't know that. So for two of the past three days, I have posted a bogus question.

As Gene frequently reminded me, we are all flawed vessels aching for a glimpse of grace, and I have illustrated it well these last two nights. I'm giving points to everyone who guessed anything at all for question three, with a special high-five to Surfingfarmboy, who actually submitted Gene Andrusco as his guess, and to Mel for knowing exactly who I was talking about but didn't mention Gene by name.

So shout-outs to Helen, Mel, Surfingfarmboy, and ZZType for not leaving it blank!

There is a reason;
I don't know what it is--
A bloody season,
Well I've heard that these things happen
Worldwide,
Worldwide.

Don't think I'll ever understand it;
Don't think it matters if I do;
Three billion people in the world
And I only know a few...

"Worldwide" by Gene Eugene.

Here are the current standings:

34.5: Surfingfarmboy
30.5: ZZType
27.5: EastCoastTropics
18.25: Helen
11.5: Mel
6: Kalei99, Moto
5: Kilinahe, Kimo55

scrivener
March 19th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Here are the questions for Day 17, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 20.

question 1
What is the name of Honolulu's near-daily Japanese-language newspaper?

question 2
category: wildlife
What aspect of a flamingo's lifestyle gives it its interesting color?

question 3
category: you'll never get this one correct
What is the name of the trophy awarded each year to the winner of the Hawaii State Backgammon Tournament?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 20.

scrivener
March 20th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Here are the answers for Day 17.

question 1
What is the name of Honolulu's near-daily Japanese-language newspaper?

My mom has subscribed to The Hawaii Hochi for as long as I can remember, and I'll bet yours has, too! Banzai to Helen, Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, Mel, Moto, and EastCoastTropics!

question 2
category: wildlife
What aspect of a flamingo's lifestyle gives it its interesting color?

I figured this was a gimme, but I was looking for a reason to use the word "flamingo," one of the funniest words in the American lexicon. Yes, the flamingo eats mostly crustaceans high in carotene, and this carotene gives it its terrific pinkish glow. I don't know how true this is, but I've been told that there's a flamingo at the Honolulu Zoo that imprinted with humans and will come when called by name during mating season. So the next time you're there, call out "Norman!" when you see the flamingos. Shrimps and prawns to Helen, ZZType, Moto, Surfingfarmboy, Mel, and EastCoastTropics for their talon-ted responses. I hope they weren't just winging it.

question 3
category: you'll never get this one correct
What is the name of the trophy awarded each year to the winner of the Hawaii State Backgammon Tournament?

Well put me on the bar and offer me the doubling cube. There's no OFFICIAL name of the trophy, but it's usually called the Prince Joli Kansil Cup after the man who won the tournament in 1973 and 2001 and who donated the perpetual trophy. Seven-primes to Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, and Moto for nailing that one.

37.5: Surfingfarmboy
33.5: ZZType
29.5: EastCoastTropics
20.25: Helen
13.5: Mel
9: Moto

scrivener
March 20th, 2005, 09:19 PM
Here are the questions for Day 18, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 21.

question 1
Okay, here's a really tough one. We all know that Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, and Joanie Loves Chachi were spinoffs of that great television show Happy Days, but did you know that Happy Days was spun off from another television show? What show was it?

question 2
category: games
What is the name of this video game?
http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/image2.gif

question 3
category: radio
Where did Dr. Demento earn his Bachelor's degree?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 21.

scrivener
March 22nd, 2005, 12:52 AM
Here are the answers for Day 18: Pop Culture Maximus!

question 1
Okay, here's a really tough one. We all know that Laverne and Shirley, Mork and Mindy, and Joanie Loves Chachi were spinoffs of that great television show Happy Days, but did you know that Happy Days was spun off from another television show? What show was it?

Wow. You people are the first I've ever known who were able to track this down--it must be easier than it used to be. Yes, Happy Days was spun off from a sketch on Love, American Style, that show featuring two or three short bits all with themes about love. Remember how The Twilight Zone had different characters and settings every week? Love, American Style had different characters and settings every ten or fifteen minutes--it was really good television. The installment in question (or in answer, as it were) focused on Richie and Howard Cunningham (although they might have had different names; they were the same actors), and Happy Days fans will remember that in the early years, the relationship between Howard and Richie was the emphasis of the show. Correct-o-mundos to Helen, Moto, ZZType, and EastCoastTropics for not letting their brains just "sit on it."

question 2
What is the name of this video game?
http://www.mitchellkdwyer.net/image2.gif

Ah, memories of wasted quarters (not to mention wasted time) on this, one of the true coin-eaters! Yes, it was Gauntlet, the best multi-player arcade video game I can think of. Helen, ZZType, and Surfingfarmboy get power-ups for remembering.

Additionally, ZZType sent along this really cool Gauntlet emulation (http://www.swmidirectory.org/games/gauntlet.swf
) (flash-based); it is pretty nifty, so give it a look!

question 3
category: radio
Where did Dr. Demento earn his Bachelor's degree?

The loony Dr. Demento hosts a syndicated radio show specializing in novelty songs, and always impresses with his encyclopedic knowledge of popular music, not to mention his quick wit. The good doctor earned his Bachelor's degree from Reed College in Portland, Oregon. Fish heads, fish heads, roley poley fish heads to Moto, ZZType, EastCoastTropics, and Surfingfarmboy for their Demented skills!

Honorable mention goes to Helen for this answer: "Southern North Dakota University."

Here are the current scores!

39.5: Surfingfarmboy
36.5: ZZType
31.5: EastCoastTropics
22.25: Helen
12: Moto

scrivener
March 22nd, 2005, 01:11 AM
Here are the questions for Day 19, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 22.

question 1
My friends rant and rave about a delectable hazelnut torte they get at their favorite dessert spot on Waialae Avenue. What's the name of the establishment and who is the talented chef who whips together that delicious dish?

question 2
category: body
On Thursday, I banged my elbow on a door (yes, I'm a klutz, but then I'm a teacher and I'm always hurrying from one classroom to another and can't always be bothered with doors that swing shut too quickly!). It was a bit sore, but the soreness didn't last more than a few minutes.

Then, on Monday morning, I woke up with some achiness in the same elbow. It got progressively worse through the day, and by 8:00 Monday evening, what looked like a sac the size of a small egg-yolk had formed on the elbow and it was semi-painful just moving my arm.

I saw a doctor who stuck a needle in the elbow in order to drain fluid, but there was very little (if any) fluid to be drained, which he said was good. He prescribed an antibiotic called Cephalexin and said I should be fine in a few days. What was his diagnosis?

question 3
What do drummers in Styx, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Hanoi Rocks, and Spinal Tap have in common?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 22.

pzarquon
March 22nd, 2005, 05:38 AM
Mel, Kimo55, Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, and Moto correctly submitted Nehoa Street, Prospect Street, Iolani Avenue, School Street, and Middle Street as the names this bizarre roadway ticks off as you drive in the Ewa direction.This is several questions back, but I just wanted to say, this is probably one of the best "local trivia" questions I've come across in a long time. There's a lot of good stuff tied to nostalgia and the good ol' days, but something that highlights a notable island factoid that's still true today is even better. It got me to thinking about all the other streets that change names more than once... though I suppose that's a topic for Route 808 (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/forumdisplay.php?f=68).

I'm not playing, but I'm enjoying reading. Keep it up!

scrivener
March 22nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
Here are the answers for Day 19: The Day of My Sore Elbow.

question 1
My friends rant and rave about a delectable hazelnut torte they get at their favorite dessert spot on Waialae Avenue. What's the name of the establishment and who is the talented chef who whips together that delicious dish?

If you haven't made a little after-dinner stop at Cafe Laufer (right next to Big City Diner on Waialae), you must. Chef Cyrus Goo creates some amazing work, not the least of which is his hazelnut torte. He's a heck of a nice guy, too. Extra chocolate sauce goes to Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, and EastCoastTropics for putting the cherry on that one.

Oh, and don't forget to have some coffee while you're there. Chef Goo's pride and joy is this European coffee press that makes the most killer cup of joe I've had on this island. I believe he's become a servicer and distributor of the machine, too, so there should be other places on the island to get this great slurp.

question 2
category: body
On Thursday, I banged my elbow on a door (yes, I'm a klutz, but then I'm a teacher and I'm always hurrying from one classroom to another and can't always be bothered with doors that swing shut too quickly!). It was a bit sore, but the soreness didn't last more than a few minutes.

Then, on Monday morning, I woke up with some achiness in the same elbow. It got progressively worse through the day, and by 8:00 Monday evening, what looked like a sac the size of a small egg-yolk had formed on the elbow and it was semi-painful just moving my arm.

I saw a doctor who stuck a needle in the elbow in order to drain fluid, but there was very little (if any) fluid to be drained, which he said was good. He prescribed an antibiotic called Cephalexin and said I should be fine in a few days. What was his diagnosis?

Ouch. Bursitis of the elbow, which my doctor says is just plain bad luck. Sometimes you get it after a bang to the elbow and sometimes you don't. Surfingfarmboy and EastCoastTropics get a full point for elbowing their way through that diagnosis. ZZType gets a half for saying "infection."

question 3
What do drummers in Styx, Led Zeppelin, the Who, Hanoi Rocks, and Spinal Tap have in common?

Styx's John Panozzo (liver), Led Zep's John Bonham (choking on own vomit after 40 shots of vodka in 4 hours), the Who's Keith Moon (overdose of prescription drugs), Hanoi Rocks's Razzle (accident in car driven by Motley Crue's intoxicated Vince Neil), and countless Spinal Tap drummers (see below) all died while still in their respective bands. Miniature Stonehenges to Surfingfarmboy, Moto, Kimo55, and ZZType for sticking that one.

Here are a few things some of you have had to say in the past few days.

Surfingfarmboy cracked me up with the prelude to his Cafe Laufer answer:

This is sssssoooooo unfair! I am a marathon runner! The only time I ever eat any desserts is the time shortly after running a 26.2 miler, like the HNL Marathon. Even though I am a runner, am 5' 11" tall and weigh 130 pounds, and have every "right" to consume calorie laden sweets, I still have to keep my weight artificially low in order to complete marathons at a semi-decent pace. So as for desserts, I am clueless by reason. And, in the name of competion, this question is a darned good one..I like questions where #1) somebody has to have a little first-hand from experience knowledge about Hawaii or #2) questions that are essentially "equalizers"..nobody knows everything about everything, thus giving all competitors in this contest a sporting chance. For me, this question combines a bit of both traits for me.

So, with this in mind, I had to debate between 2 possible answers: The Cafe Laufer or JJ French Pastry, both great places for dessert on funky Waialae Ave. in Kaimuki.

Moto made my day with his summation of my whole reason for doing this every night: "Right or wrong, this is great stuff...."

Helen cleared up a mistaken impression I had about that Happy Days question yesterday: "There was a reunion special on Happy Days about a month ago. And while I was old enough to watch the original airing of Love American Style, the reunion special showed Harold Gould playing Howard Cunningham."

Creative answers to the drummer question: "Their drums were made by the same company" (Helen), and "They’re all men!" (EastCoastTropics).

Finally, from Everything2 (http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=737124), a great rundown on the Spinal Tap drummers:

John "Stumpy" Pepys -- died in 1969 in a bizarre gardening accident.
Eric Childs -- died 1974, choking to death on someone else's vomit.
Peter "James" Bond -- spontaneously combusted on stage in 1977.
Mick Shrimpton, who replaced Bond, disappeared and is presumed dead, as his brother Ric replaced him in 1992 and interviews with Ric make reference to other Tap members saying "We're not sure we want to put your mum through this again." (Rip, June 1992). I can't find a cause of death stated anywhere, though.
In an interview on the Arsenio Hall Show in December 1992, David St. Hubbins referred to a drummer he did not name who had been accidentally packed with the band's equipment and never seen again. St. Hubbins also claimed then that the band had had 12 drummers.

42.5: Surfingfarmboy
39: ZZType
33.5: EastCoastTropics
22.25: Helen
13: Moto
6: Kalei99, Kimo55

scrivener
March 22nd, 2005, 08:50 PM
Here are the questions for Day 20, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 23.

question 1
In Texas Hold 'Em, if the large blind is a hundred bucks, what is the small blind?

question 2
For whom is Cartwright Field in Honolulu named, and what is historically significant about him or her?

question 3
category: literature
What local periodical holds a short-fiction contest every year and awards a thousand bucks to the winner?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 23.

scrivener
March 23rd, 2005, 08:59 PM
Here are the answers for Day 20: Have we been doing it this long?

question 1
In Texas Hold 'Em, if the large blind is a hundred bucks, what is the small blind?

The "blinds" in Texas Hold 'Em are early bets placed by the first and second players to the left of the dealer before the cards are dealt. Generally, the large blind is twice the small blind, so if the large blind is a hundred bucks, the small blind is fifty. Pocket ladies to Surfingfarmboy, Moto, ZZType, and EastCoastTropics!

question 2
For whom is Cartwright Field in Honolulu named, and what is historically significant about him or her?

Alexander Joy Cartwright is sort of the Johnny Appleseed of American baseball. He is generally credited with establishing the size and shape of baseball (90 feet between bases, three outs per inning, nine innings per game, that kinda thing). As he roamed west, he brought the game with him, establishing teams and leagues, as he did when he found himself in Hawaii. If you're wondering why Hawaii has such a long, colorful baseball tradition, here's your first clue. Cartwright is buried at Oahu Cemetary in Nuuanu. Dodger-Dogs and nachos to Surfingfarmboy, ZZType, EastCoastTropics, and Moto for not striking out on that one.

question 3
What local periodical holds a short-fiction contest every year and awards a thousand bucks to the winner?

It's now co-sponsored by Starbucks Hawaii, who kicks in several hundred dollars' worth of Starbucks merchandise, but it has been known as the Honolulu Magazine Short Fiction Contest for a long time, which Helen, ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, EastCoastTropics, and Moto knew.

This is as good a place as any to say that I earned honorable mention in this year's contest, the winners of which will be announced in the April issue. I'm quite pleased. Next year, I'm shooting for show.

45.5: Surfingfarmboy
42: ZZType
36.5: EastCoastTropics
23.25: Helen
16: Moto
13: Moto

zztype
March 23rd, 2005, 09:08 PM
Honolulu Magazine Short Fiction Contest.

This is as good a place as any to say that I earned honorable mention in this year's contest, the winners of which will be announced in the April issue. I'm quite pleased. Next year, I'm shooting for show.

Seriously, congratulations! This is what I call a case of a teacher putting his money where his mouth is. You must be some kind of teacher. Best of luck for next year's shootout.
Blaine

scrivener
March 23rd, 2005, 09:31 PM
Here are the questions for Day 21, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 24.

question 1
What is the name of the Molokai bakery where you can get delicious "hot bread" late at night when the bakery's supposed to be closed?

question 2
What Japanese classic is considered by many to be the first novel ever written?

question 3
category: religion
According to a story in the New Testament of the Bible, who climbed a tree in order to get a better look at Jesus, and why was it something of a scandal when Jesus invited himself to lunch with this man?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 24.

Surfingfarmboy
March 24th, 2005, 02:09 AM
I'm with ZZ on this. I'm going to have to get a copy of Honolulu Magazine..there is a newsstand about 5 miles from me that actually carries it here..so I can see your honorable mention. And when you finally do win the big prize...I can tell my freinds and ohana..."Yep...I know him personally!!"

pzarquon
March 24th, 2005, 05:12 AM
Indeed! Congrats, Scrivener. Another good friend of mine (and a user here) got a similar accolade a few years back. It is a big deal! Do "honorable mentions" get their pieces printed? Posted online? If not, be sure to let us know how we can read it! If I get a Honolulu magazine, I want your autograph!

Linkmeister
March 24th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Aren't you folks members of HPR? You should get a free Honolulu Magazine subscription with your $50 annual membership.

And congratulations on the HM!

EastCoastTropics
March 24th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Congrats, Scrivener!! Hope to be able to read it online!

scrivener
March 24th, 2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks for all the congratulations! Appropriately, the honorable mentions don't get their stories printed--in fact, I think only the grand prize winner gets that, and that's a good thing, I think. It adds to the prestige. I won't be posting the story online, since with a little work it might be good enough to submit for publication elsewhere, but if you'll send me a private message containing your email address and the words "I promise not to distribute this story electronically without your permission," I'll send it along as an MS Word attachment (or an RTF attachment, if you prefer) around the end of the month.

Now, here are the answers for Day 21!

question 1
What is the name of the Molokai bakery where you can get delicious "hot bread" late at night when the bakery's supposed to be closed?

That would be Kanemitsu's. Oh, man, if you haven't tried hot bread, you really need to. Get it with cream cheese and jelly if you really want to be sinful; otherwise, butter and cinnamon's pretty good, too. Surfingfarmboy, Miulang, ZZType, EastCoastTropics, and Moto rose to the occasion and nailed that one. Additionally, there were a lot of interesting comments.

Surfingfarmboy: "I've been there, done that! I remember buying bread there late one night, "after hours", and the whole process of buying my single loaf of bread, with cream cheese and liliko'i butter slathered into the middle of the loaf, seemed almost as if I was partaking in an illicit transaction..kind of like buying a bottle of rum from a speakeasy in Chicago during the Prohibition era. Now mind you, this was a few years ago, before all the tour books and guides about Hawai'i "discovered" this late night tradition on Moloka'i. Nothing wrong with their discovery, but now days, I get the impression that one lining up for bread late night at Kanemitsu's now is just as likely to be in line with tourists from Houston as he/she would be with locals from Kaunakakai. Again, nothing wrong with that..it's just not the "locals only" event it seemed to be at one time. In any case, their bread is good..at least what I remember of it..and well worth the trip wherever one calls home on this unique planet we all share!"

Moto: "I remember when they had a shop in the Pearl Kai Food Court, used to be one of my favorite stops."

Miulang: "yummy long johns, too!"

Here's my memory of hot bread: I was in college in 1992 and doing a week of Vacation Bible Schools at Kaunakakai Baptist. On our first day, I asked the fifth- and sixth-graders what their favorite food was, and almost all of them said, "Hot bread." I acted like I knew what they were talking about. A few nights later, someone from the church took me and my team-mates downtown at about 10:30. We parked on the main drag and walked past Kanemitsu's. As we strolled past, cars parked nearby had their doors open, their stereos blasting and their teenaged owners draped over the open doors, not holding forty-ounce bottles of cheap malt liquor, but holding round loaves of bread, fresh out of the oven and slathered with various combinations of butter, cinnamon, cream cheese, and jelly. I recognized some of the teens from the night-time church activities we held for the older youth, and they gladly offered bites of their loaves so my friends and I could see what the big deal was. People on Molokai--they share whatever they've got, I tell ya.

So our guide led us around the building and down a little alley strewn with trash cans. She knocked on the door and we waited a few long minutes for a tall, thin guy with stringy hair to open the top-half of the door. "Yeah?" he asked, as if he had no idea what we were there for. We placed our order. The guy slammed the door shut. A few minutes later, he was back with our order, collecting four bucks from each of us. I could immediately see why it was everyone's favorite food. It'd be mine, too, if I had regular access to it!

question 2
What Japanese classic is considered by many to be the first novel ever written?

As a student of literature, I must say that Murasaki Shikibu's Genji Monogatari is not that great a story, and not a very good example of a novel, either, but then I consider the novel to be an American art form. Don't tell my literature professors. Banzais go to ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, and EastCoastTropics for their literary smarts.

question 3
category: religion
According to a story in the New Testament of the Bible, who climbed a tree in order to get a better look at Jesus, and why was it something of a scandal when Jesus invited himself to lunch with this man?

"Zaccheus was a wee little man, a wee little man was he. He climbed up in a sycamore tree for the Lord he wanted to see." As for the scandal part, Zaccheus was a tax-collector and therefore probably a total sleaze-ball, collecting what Caeser was supposed to get plus enough to line his own pockets. Observers thought it scandalous that Jesus would choose to associate with such a man, but those were lame observers. One of his own apostles, Matthew, was a tax-collector, so how this could surprise anyone is beyond me. Gold stars and extra Kool-Aid to ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, and EastCoastTropics. Half-points to Moto and Miulang for identifying Zaccheus but not the scandal.

48.5: Surfingfarmboy
45: ZZType
39.5: EastCoastTropics
23.25: Helen
18.5: Moto
1.5: Miulang

scrivener
March 24th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Here are the questions for Day 22, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 25.

Today: The All-Locals-in-Television Edition!
I was going to apologize for all the television questions, but what the heck. They're easy to come up with for some reason, and if I focused on the stuff I'm really passionate about (I'm not really that much of a TV watcher, believe it or not), this would get boring. Each day, the questions would be about rock and roll, baseball, and literature.

question 1
category: Korean Conflict
Which M*A*S*H regular is from Hawaii?

question 2
category: P.I. (not THAT P.I.!)
In the final episode of Magnum, P.I., who plays the minister at Rick's wedding?

question 3
category: Traffic
In several episodes of Hawaii Five-O, cars are seen tearing down the driveway of the police station and taking a right turn. As specifically as possible, why is this an odd sight?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 25.

scrivener
March 25th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Here are the answers for Day 22: Too Much Television!

question 1
category: Korean Conflict
Which M*A*S*H regular is from Hawaii?

She cute, smart, witty, and sweet, and the only M*A*S*H nurse to have an extended run as a member of the cast. That HONOLULU sign on the signpost was hers: Kealani Kellye, usually referred to as Nurse Kellye, played by Kellye Nakahara, who is also from Hawaii. She's an artist in Los Angeles now, with her own gallery, and still makes the occasional M*A*S*H-related appearance. Two-day passes to Tokyo go to Surfingfarmboy, EastCoastTropics, ZZType, Kalei99, and Moto!

ZZType sends this link for those who want to find out which M*A*S*H character (http://www.bloggerheads.com/mash_quiz/) they are.

question 2
category: P.I. (not THAT P.I.!)
In the final episode of Magnum, P.I., who plays the minister at Rick's wedding?

Joe Moore, in a surprise part. Two days with the Ferrari for Surfingfarmboy, EastCoastTropics, ZZType, and Moto!

question 3
category: Traffic
In several episodes of Hawaii Five-O, cars are seen tearing down the driveway of the police station and taking a right turn. As specifically as possible, why is this an odd sight?

Iolani Palace played the role of the police station, and the street in question is King Street. As we all know, you can't make a right turn from Iolani Palace onto King Street. Well, you CAN, but I wouldn't recommend it--it's a one-way street in the other direction! Book 'em, Helen, ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, and EastCoastTropics! Supporting credit and a half-point to Moto for getting the reason right but the street wrong.

Here are the current scores!

51.5: Surfingfarmboy
48: ZZType
42.5: EastCoastTropics
24.25: Helen
21: Moto
7: Linkmeister, Kalei99
6: Kimo55
1.5: Miulang

scrivener
March 25th, 2005, 09:25 PM
Here are the questions for Day 23, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 26. Only six more days, after this set, left in the contest!

question 1
What class of instruments does the piano belong to?

question 2
In some countries, they're called shish-kebabs. In Japan, they're yakitori. What are skewers of meat called in Indonesia?

question 3
category: thrills
Which Disneyland ride is an indoor roller-coaster in the dark with cool laser-lights? Bonus question worth zero points: What rock album did I swear, when I rode this ride for the first time at age fifteen, I would bring with me the next time I was at the Magic Kingdom?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 26.

scrivener
March 26th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Here are the answers for Day 23!

question 1
What class of instruments does the piano belong to?

I wasn't specific in asking this question, so I'm taking any of these answers: strings, percussion, and keyboards. The answer I really wanted was percussion. Helen, Surfingfarmboy, Miulang, Mel, ZZType, Linkmeister, Moto, Kalei99, and EastCoastTropics avoided treble and got that one right!

question 2
In some countries, they're called shish-kebabs. In Japan, they're yakitori. What are skewers of meat called in Indonesia?

Satay, which it seems everyone in the world knew, including Surfingfarmboy, Miulang, ZZType, Moto, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99!

question 3
category: thrills
Which Disneyland ride is an indoor roller-coaster in the dark with cool laser-lights? Bonus question worth zero points: What rock album did I swear, when I rode this ride for the first time at age fifteen, I would bring with me the next time I was at the Magic Kingdom?

Ah yes. Space Mountain. The answer to the bonus question is Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon! It was 1984 and I was fifteen and I still haven't been back there to give it another whirl. Mouse-ear hats go to Surfingfarmboy, Mel, ZZType, Moto, Kalei99, and EastCoastTropics for nailing the main question.

Here are the guesses for the zero-point bonus!

Helen: Pink Floyd's The Wall, which is close enough for half credit!
Surfingfarmboy: Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, which he says was a total guess, since he doesn't know very many rock albums.
Mel: Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon.
ZZType: Gave several suggestions, including Jimi Hendrix's Electric Ladyland and Led Zep's I, but then finally got around to "If you're talking 1973 or 1974, Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon was out, though one might have considered taking The Floyd's earlierMeddle album for its psychedelic "Echoes," or Atom Heart Mother, before that."
Moto: "I would have probably chose a Led Zepplin album myself. Hmmm, but getting back to the question, I come up with blanks, but would guess Van Halen?"
Kalei99: The Jimi Hendrix Experience's Are You Experienced?, which probably would have been my second choice. I was a huge Jimi fan in that summer before my tenth grade year.

Thanks for playing! Here are the current scores!

54.5: Surfingfarmboy
51: ZZType
45.5: EastCoastTropics
25.25: Helen
24: Moto
15.5: Mel
11: Kalei99
8: Linkmeister,
3.5: Miulang

scrivener
March 26th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Here are the questions for Day 24, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 27. Only five more days, after this set, left in the contest!

question 1
What is the name of Encyclopedia Brown's arch-nemesis?

question 2
What are the names of the gay lovers in Matt Groening's Life in Hell?

question 3
Which current member of the Hawaii State House of Representatives began his or her collegiate career on an athletic scholarship in swimming?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 27.
Happy Easter, everyone.

scrivener
March 27th, 2005, 08:55 PM
Here are the answers for Day 24!

question 1
What is the name of Encyclopedia Brown's arch-nemesis?

Ah, yes. That would be Bugs Meany, leader of the Tigers. I do not understand why this series has never been dramatized for television. It would be perfect for the afterschool crowd, don't you think? ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, Mel, Kalei99, and EastCoastTropics got that one right, but did they take a peek at the back of the book first? :)

Honorable mention for Helen's answer: Paperback Green. Helen, I really think you should check out the series. It would appeal to your analytical side, and the mysteries are only a few pages long each.

question 2
What are the names of the gay lovers in Matt Groening's Life in Hell?

Akbar and Jeff, two of the funniest lovers in comics history. Kudos to ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, Mel, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99 for embracing that one!

question 3
Which current member of the Hawaii State House of Representatives began his or her collegiate career on an athletic scholarship in swimming?

He injured himself and later didn't need the scholarship, since he probably got tuition waivers for editing Ka Leo O Hawaii and presiding over ASUH, but Representative K. Mark Takai did start his collegiate career as a high-school champion swimmer. Kalei99, Surfingfarmboy, and ZZType got that one without going over the deep-end, 'though Kalei99 says she came close: "...wasted my whole day trying to find this one. Why? Beats me - just sadistic, I guess." That's what we like to see: a mental-health-be-darned approach to trivia!

Okay. Here are the current scores!

57.5: Surfingfarmboy
54: ZZType
47.5: EastCoastTropics
26: Moto
25.25: Helen
17.5: Mel
14: Kalei99
8: Linkmeister,
3.5: Miulang

scrivener
March 27th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Here are the questions for Day 25, due by 9:00 in the evening on March 28. Only four more days, after this set, left in the contest!

question 1
category: geography
For one-fourth of a point each, identify the American city whose nickname is
The City by the Bay
Big D
Motor City
The City of Angels
The Biggest Little City in the World
Sin City
Beantown
The Big Easy
Motown
The Mile-High City
Music City
Dogtown

question 2
In what Oahu neighborhood is the Swiss Consulate located?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 28.

scrivener
March 28th, 2005, 08:48 PM
Here are the answers for Day 25!

question 1
category: geography
For one-fourth of a point each, identify the American city whose nickname is
The City by the Bay -- San Francisco
Big D -- Dallas
Motor City -- Detroit
The City of Angels -- Los Angeles
The Biggest Little City in the World -- Reno
Sin City -- Las Vegas
Beantown -- Boston
The Big Easy -- New Orleans
Motown -- Detroit
The Mile-High City -- Denver
Music City -- Nashville
Dogtown -- A lot of places, including St. Louis and Venice Beach

Passport stamps go to:
Helen (8 correct)
Surfingfarmboy (12)
Kalei99 (12)
Miulang (12)
Linkmeister (12)
ZZType (12)
Mokihana (12)
EastCoastTropics (12)
Moto (12)

question 2
In what Oahu neighborhood is the Swiss Consulate located?

Of course Nuuanu would be a great guess (and a few of you guessed that), but it's in Kahala / Black Point / Diamondhead, which Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, Miulang, ZZType, and EastCoastTropics got right. Schnitzel for all!

Here are the current scores, with four days left to play:

61.5: Surfingfarmboy
58: ZZType
51.5: EastCoastTropics
29: Moto
27.25: Helen
20.5: Mel
18: Kalei99
11: Linkmeister
6.5: Miulang
3: LikaNui, Mokihana

n e w q u e s t i o n s , n e x t p o s t !

scrivener
March 28th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Here are the questions for Day 26 (holy moley!), due by 9:00 in the evening on March 29. Only three more days, after this set, left in the contest!

I'm going to try to come up with only questions about Hawaii until the end of the contest, but I get these out of my own tired cranium, so we'll see!

question 1
If the whole state is built on basalt, which is black, where does Hawaii get all the red dirt?

question 2
Father Damien's statue at the state capitol building is nearest Beretania Street. Whose statue is on the other end of the building?

question 3
According to the song, where can you get "a wonderful variety of merchandise?"

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 29.

scrivener
March 29th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Here are the answers for Day 26!

question 1
If the whole state is built on basalt, which is black, where does Hawaii get all the red dirt?

The basalt has a high iron content. When that iron oxidizes it turns red, which a zillion people knew, including Moto, Kimo55, ZZType, Helen, Surfingfarmboy, EastCoatTropics, and Kalei99.

Says Kalei99: "Geez Louise, I feel like I'm back in school again in Mr. Yoshida's science class!" I'm sure she's not the only one who was taken back in time by that question. What I wanna know is, what school was that?

question 2
Father Damien's statue at the state capitol building is nearest Beretania Street. Whose statue is on the other end of the building?

Sometimes I wish they could somehow trade places every few years, just to give Queen Liliuokalani's statue the more visible spot. I'm an admirer of both statues (not to mention the people whom they honor), but I have always really liked the way the Queen is represented in this particular sculpture. Such class, such dignity, such grace. She also seems like a woman whose bad side you wouldn't want to get on. Pakalana leis to Moto, Kimo55, ZZType, Surfingfarmboy, Mel, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99 for knowing their statues!

question 3
According to the song, where can you get "a wonderful variety of merchandise?"

"When you walk through the doorway
What a great surprise:
A wonderful variety of merchandise!
It's all laid out there before your eyes
At the Hasegawa General Store!"

Well. I was worried that I chose the wrong lyric; I was concerned that while I didn't want to choose a lyric too easily recognized, THIS one was going to fly over people's heads, and THEN they'd say, "Oh yeah!" Boy was I wrong. Seems like you couldn't wait to answer this one--I swear I have p/mail submissions from some of you stamped with times that came before I submitted the post! I KNEW I should have chosen "E Lei Ka Lei Lei" or something, but then perhaps this special song resonates with us all, because even if we haven't been there, we know this place, yeah? I mean, there're a lot of places like that in this state ('though sadly, fewer and fewer), and it IS a great song. So muu muus, mangos, and ukuleles (but no hamburgers, 'cause you've proven you're no malihinis) to Kimo55, ZZType, Helen, Surfingfarmboy, Mel, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99.

Surfingfarmboy has a few really sweet things to say about, well, not about the Hasegawa General Store, but about what the mention of that store brings to mind. I'd love to have printed it, but I wasn't sure how personal it was. So if you wish, SFB...

Okay. Here are the current scores with three days left to play!

64.5: Surfingfarmboy
61: ZZType
54.5: EastCoastTropics
31: Moto
29.25: Helen
22.5: Mel
21: Kalei99
9: Kimo55

n e W q u E s t I o n S , n e X t p O s t !

scrivener
March 29th, 2005, 08:49 PM
Here are the questions for Day 27 (wow!), due by 9:00 in the evening on March 30. Only two more days, after this set, left in the contest!

question 1
For one-fifth of a point each, identify the commercial spokesperson who was (or is) famous for repeatedly delivering these signature lines AND identify the name of the businesses being plugged!

Go now, Hawaii! Why pay more?
Nobody beats __________ -- Nobody!
I'm _________ and away we go!
Thank you, very much!
Keeaumokuuuuuu! Keeaumokuuuuuu!

question 2
What are the names of four of Oahu's drive-in theaters? (those two in Aiea count as one!)

question 3
In what Oahu town do you live if your house is in Royal Summit?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 30.

mel
March 29th, 2005, 09:25 PM
I KNEW I should have chosen "E Lei Ka Lei Lei" or something, but then perhaps this special song resonates with us all, because even if we haven't been there, we know this place, yeah?

I have the both of these records... on vinyl.... "E Lei Ka Lei Lei" by Don Ho and "Hasegawa General Store" by Pua Alemeida on Capitol Records... bought it from the original Hasegawa General Store in Hana way back in 1972.

Surfingfarmboy
March 30th, 2005, 01:40 AM
Ah, shucks, Mitchell...I'm not embarressed! :) I tell people about the VLH/Hasegawa connection often times whenever the Hasegawa General Store comes into a conversation.

scrivener
March 30th, 2005, 10:21 PM
Here are the questions for Day 27: The Day of the Multiple Submissions!

You ladies and gentlemen crack me up. Many of you changed your minds about your answers and submitted corrections. Moto p/mailed me SIX times today, apologizing for each correction! Helen and Mel got me twice each. It was a blast reading all your responses!

question 1
For one-fifth of a point each, identify the commercial spokesperson who was (or is) famous for repeatedly delivering these signature lines AND identify the name of the businesses being plugged!

Go now, Hawaii! Why pay more? -- Malcolm Love, Consumer Tire Warehouse
Nobody beats __________ -- Nobody! -- Tanya, Sleepland USA
I'm _________ and away we go! -- Didi Ah Yo, Creative Holidays
Thank you, very much! -- Lex Brodie, Lex Brodie's Tire Company (I would also have accepted Sandy Brodie, but if you knew enough to say Sandy, you knew enough to say Lex)
Keeaumokuuuuuu! Keeaumokuuuuuu! -- Wally "Famous" Amos, the Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookie

Now, I am very confident that the answer I'm accepting for that last one is the only really good answer, but Kalei99 and ZZType both submitted George "Granny Goose" Groves, so if someone can convince me that that is also a good answer, I'll go along. At least one other person guessed Granny on one of the other ones, too. I wonder if he's happy that this is how he's remembered--as a guy on commercials.

Moto reminded me that the B questions could reasonably have been answered Midas, since they used the same catchphrase for a while, but the category IS Hawaii, and I think it was quite clear that we were looking for local commercials.

Okay, so here's how the scores for this question look:
Kalei99 (3 correct)
EastCoastTropics (3)
Moto (4)
Surfingfarmboy (3)
Helen (3)
ZZType (4)
Mel (2)

Finally, it was pointed out to me by a few of you that I forgot Kalani, from Ponderosa Pines. Do you understand what an accomplishment it is to forget such a thing? Thanks a lot for putting it back up there in my poor head--I shall never forgive you.

question 2
What are the names of four of Oahu's drive-in theaters? (those two in Aiea count as one!)

Acceptable answers were the Royal Sunset, Kam, Kapiolani (or Holiday), Waialae/Kahala, and Kailua. EastCoastTropics is the only one who mentioned Tropical Drive In -- does anyone else know about this one? Moto says there may have been one on Kapahulu, where the golf course is now. Could this be it? Anyone?

Okay, so Junior Mints and suicides go to Mel, ZZType, Helen, Moto, Surfingfarmboy, Mel, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99!

question 3
In what Oahu town do you live if your house is in Royal Summit?

Aiea. Bryan's Sectionals to ZZType, Moto, and EastCoastTropics for knowing their Aiea from their Pearl City!

Whew! THAT was a lot of work. Okay, so here are the current scores with two days left to play:

66.1: Surfingfarmboy
63.8: ZZType
57.1: EastCoastTropics
33.8: Moto
30.85: Helen
23.9: Mel
22.6: Kalei99

! t S o P t X e N , s N o I t S e U q W e N

scrivener
March 30th, 2005, 10:45 PM
Here are the questions for Day 28 (dang!), due by 9:00 in the evening on March 31. Only two more days, after this set, left in the contest!

question 1
You simmer the leaves of the mountain taro in water until they're really mushy. You add this plus coconut milk to sauted onions and calamari. What local favorite have you just put together?

question 2
Which of U2's hits did the band mostly write during the soundcheck for a Hawaii concert?

question 3
What local organization provides for runaway and homeless youth (emphasis on youth), among other services, a place for showers, meals, lockers, and laundry?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. March 31.

scrivener
March 31st, 2005, 04:56 AM
Only two more days, after this set, left in the contest!

Make that ONE more day. Oops.

scrivener
March 31st, 2005, 08:42 PM
Here are the answers for Day 28!

question 1
You simmer the leaves of the mountain taro in water until they're really mushy. You add this plus coconut milk to sauted onions and calamari. What local favorite have you just put together?

Personally, I don't see how squid luau could possibly be any good, but ZZType says it's his favorite, EastCoastTropics says she's gotta have it whenever she comes home, and Kalei99 scolds me for mentioning it--"Now you made me ono for squid luau!" Well double-helpings go to ZZType, Kalei99, EastCoastTropics, Moto, and Surfingfarmboy for getting their slimy tentacles around that one!

question 2
Which of U2's hits did the band mostly write during the soundcheck for a Hawaii concert?

"Pride (in the name of love)," which is interesting for a few reasons. First, this is an Irish band and they wrote this great song about an American leader, Martin Luther King. Also, U2 almost became crusaders for the MLK holiday in January, focusing a lot of disappointment at Arizona; what a lot of people don't seem to remember is that Hawaii was also one of the last states to adopt the holiday. U2 did a special concert in Arizona to call attention to the cause; did the band pay any attention to Hawaii, the birthplace of this song, which became something of a rallying cry on behalf of instituting the holiday? It did not. In fact, it has yet to return to the islands for another show. There is NO justice in this world. ZZType, Moto, Surfingfarmboy, EastCoastTropics, and Kalei99 had enough Edge to get that one right!

question 3
What local organization provides for runaway and homeless youth (emphasis on youth), among other services, a place for showers, meals, lockers, and laundry?

I used to work there, and chances are, you know someone who has made use of the many services provided by Hale Kipa. Congratulations to ZZType, Moto, Surfingfarmboy, and Kalei99 for getting that one right.

Okay. With only one day left, here are the current scores:

69.1: Kalei99
66.8: Helen
59.1: Moto
36.8: EastCoastTropics
30.85: ZZType
25.6: Surfingfarmboy

zztype
March 31st, 2005, 08:49 PM
WHAAAA?????? NANIKA, DESU?

Scores, day 27:

Scores, day 28:

I say again, "Eehhhh??"

kimo55
March 31st, 2005, 08:51 PM
I say again, "Eehhhh??"

uuuuhh. maybe you can explicitly describe what ya have a problem with here?

scrivener
March 31st, 2005, 08:58 PM
Here are the questions for Day 29 (whew!), due by 9:00 in the evening on April 1. Last day of the game!

question 1
category: HawaiiThreads
On what date and at what time was the first post at HawaiiThreads submitted?

question 2
Which HawaiiThreads regular was born on August 13, 1972?

question 3
"In a word," what does HawaiiThreads "bring to the party," according to its administrators?

Send your answers to me in PRIVATE MAIL by 9:00 p.m. April 1!

helen
March 31st, 2005, 09:24 PM
Scores, day 27:

Scores, day 28:

It seems that Surfingfarmboy and Kalei99 got each other scores, as well ZZtype and myself being switched and Moto and EastCoastTopics.

zztype
March 31st, 2005, 09:27 PM
Mitchell is sitting there, laughing his 'okole off, I'll bet!!! :)

EastCoastTropics
April 1st, 2005, 03:02 AM
:D :D :D :D

Good one scrivener! Have a good April Fools Day everybody!!

zztype
April 1st, 2005, 04:19 AM
:D :D :D :D

...April Fools Day...!!
Doh! Nailed before I even set foot out of the house!

Kalei99
April 1st, 2005, 04:55 AM
What's the problem? I don't have a problem with those scores! :D

Moto
April 1st, 2005, 05:01 AM
I agree, the scores look great to me....

Happy April Fools day Everyone!!!!

scrivener
April 1st, 2005, 09:35 PM
Here are the answers for Day 29 the last day of this round of the HawaiiThreads Trivia Game!

question 1
On what date and at what time was the first post at HawaiiThreads submitted?

The First Post (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=1) went up on April 9, 2004 at 7:14 p.m. That means it's about time for the first birthday. Anyone wanna meet for ice cream on the 9th? I'm totally serious. Anyway, ZZType (who almost missed it but noticed his typo and sent in a correction!), Helen, EastCoastTropics, Surfingfarmboy, Moto, Kalei99, and Mel knew their stuff and get one point each!

question 2
Which HawaiiThreads regular was born on August 13, 1972?

That would be Kilinahe (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/member.php?u=14). It turns out that even with a question like this, Google was your best option, as a search for HawaiiThreads with "August 13, 1972" in quotation marks returns exactly one match. High fives to ZZType, Helen, EastCoastTropics, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, and Mel!

question 3
"In a word," what does HawaiiThreads "bring to the party," according to its administrators?

Wow. That's quite a claim, isn't it? I mean, when that was written, "everything" was a lot! But now that we've seen a trivia game here, I think we can say we've seen just about everything after all! So points to ZZType, EastCoastTropics, Surfingfarmboy, Kalei99, and Mel for finding it in the FAQ (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/faq.php?faq=hawaiithreads_com_faq#faq_wha_was_hawa iithreads_com_started). Turns out Google was the best option here, too. I swear, the next time we do this we're either going all-Google or all-Google-PROOF!

Those of you who were taken aback by last night's scores can thank MOTO, who suggested it as an April Fool's joke! Woo! That was just...classic! Classic, I tellya. I was giggling so hard last night I think I wet myself!

Okay, so here are the actual, honest-to-goodness final scores!

72.1: Surfingfarmboy
69.8: ZZType
62.1: EastCoastTropics
37.8: Moto
32.85: Helen
28.6: Kalei99
26.9: Mel

Congratulations to everyone who participated and had fun--'cause fun was the whole point. I've got the munchies like crazy, so I'm going to have some food and then I'll be back to (a) discuss the (small but) nice prizes and (b) do a little wrap-up on the whole game. Back in half an hour or so!

Moto
April 1st, 2005, 10:46 PM
Thank you for your time in putting together this challenging Trivia Game. Really enjoyed it.

scrivener
April 1st, 2005, 11:28 PM
The question was about the Hasegawa General Store, but Surfingfarmboy's answer included this:

Side note: When I hear the name "Hasegawa" I don't think of the Hasegawa Store; rather, I think of the first girl in my life I thought I couldn't live without..Vickie Hasegawa..she was my first crush.

Perhaps it is the romantic in me, or perhaps it is the English teacher in me ('though come to think of it, one of those mes is probably the reason the other exists) that sees something important here. Something in this response resonates for me, so please indulge a little bit of my expositing.

In the eighties, Irving Wallace (bestselling author of The Word), Amy Wallace, and David Wallechinsky wrote a book of what appeared to be trivia, but they considered what they were compiling to be exactly the opposite of trivia, so they called their book Significa, and what a great title that is; truly, the opposite of something trivial is something significant, and if something is lodged in one's brain for no apparent, immediate, practical reason, the temptation (or perhaps the societal pressure) is to call it "useless knowledge." I have been proclaimed the king of useless knowledge by my friends. All my life.

Here's the thing, though. If it was truly useless, and by that I mean significant only to me, I'd be the only person who remembered this stuff. Yet clearly, I am not the only one who remembers this stuff. Google-hunting aside, very few questions I've put forth in this space this past month went unanswered. If you remembered this stuff and I remembered this stuff, that sounds pretty dang significant, wouldn't you say?

I came up with the vast majority of these questions myself; they are the product of my own wandering mind, so clearly, they are not trivial to me. The Hasegawa question reminded Surfingfarmboy of his first crush, and how could that ever be trivial? The day we remembered those commercial spokespeople, Moto sent me a whole list of local commercials I didn't include. The day we matched high schools with their sports teams' nicknames, ZZType had occasion to remember the alma maters (almas mater?) of his father and father-in-law. Linkmeister thought the Steven Wright quote sounded like Lily Tomlin, and although it wasn't, it prompted him to look up some of his favorite Lily Tomlin quotes. Helen gave me a small piece of information that I can't imagine I'll ever use, so of course I'm filing it away for when I'll need it (I now know the names of TWO Klingon warships!). That squid luau question gave EastCoastTropics reason to think about those times when she gets to come home, and that's the word she used: Home. Yeah. It's still her home.

This is just a small sample of some of the great stuff I got to read in private mail, and it was all prompted by seemingly silly, seemingly useless knowledge. I really felt that we connected in small, perhaps temporary, perhaps lasting ways.

And you know, that's what we do here. Here-HawaiiThreads and here-the-Internet. We find ways to make connections and we get involved in each others' lives and sometimes we have amazingly profound conversations prompted by the silliest of topics and sometimes what seem like topics of extreme importance are springboards for uncontrolled silliness.

I say all this because I'm very, very grateful for your participating in this silly little contest; it was a lot of work, but every day when I came home from work, I got to read these wonderful stories from you all about stuff that had significance to you and to me. Your participation was an encouragement, not only as an affirmation of my efforts to do something we'd consider fun, but as an affirmation of my belief that there is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Neither is there such a thing as meaningless conversation. So if you've mostly been lurking, experiencing vicariously the connecting that the bananas who frequent this place get to experience, I encourage you to put something out there. There are threads here about tiny cans of soda! Anything is fair game, anything can lead to something really nifty, and it's all significant, if only for being a record of what you felt like talking about on some particular day.

We'll do this again sometime, perhaps in a few months. Meanwhile, there's nothing stopping anyone else from coming up with their own similar (or dissimilar) activity!

scrivener
April 1st, 2005, 11:41 PM
The prizes are not a big deal, but I do want to award them. Surfingfarmboy's getting the first pick; after that, ZZType chooses from what's left, then EastCoastTropics.

There are two booby-prizes: one is for the most consistent participant and one is for the funniest or most creative answers. It turns out that both booby prizes go to the same person: Helen. I'm going to exercise executive authority and award Helen one of the booby prizes and the other to the participant who placed second in both these categories: Moto.

You'll hear from me in private mail, and once everything's been distributed, I'll post an announcement here!

zztype
April 2nd, 2005, 05:26 AM
Mitchell, and all who participated, thanks so much for the hard work. This was a blast. I found myself stressing over the answers when they didn't come quickly and spent time calculating and plotting how I was going to pass SurfingFarmBoy!!

I can say that I blew off truly important tasks for the benefit of this contest. (Yes, I know, it was for me, not the contest.) Evidence, my ranting the other night on seeing the scrambled scores. I was serious! A few posts, a few private messages and even an email sent directly to Mitchell went unanswered! I was FUMING! Imagine my embarrasment the next morning on seeing MOTO's "April Fools" message. :o

Frankly, that was TOO FUNNY!!! :)

Thanks so much, mahalo, mahalo, mahalo!

Blaine

EastCoastTropics
April 2nd, 2005, 06:25 AM
Mahalo for the trivia game Mitchell! There were a couple days there where I couldn't participate because I was too busy with planning my daughter's baby shower (I going be a Nana for da first time). But I tried to play everyday and it was a lot of fun!

Your April Fool's Day joke was a good one...I'm usually the one who plays jokes on others...hehehehe! :D

Again, mahalo!!!

L

Linkmeister
April 2nd, 2005, 06:58 AM
A good game indeed. Thanks, guy.

I came up with the vast majority of these questions myself; they are the product of my own wandering mind, so clearly, they are not trivial to me.

I'll bet each one of us could come up with some questions, although certainly not the exhaustive 30 days worth that you did. I know my mind has more small facts in it than is absolutely necessary for my continuing existence. Forex, from 7th grade English:

Who was "the man without a country?"

I got that question once in an interfraternity contest similar to GE College Bowl, and without hesitation said "Phillip Nolan."

"Ding!" (http://www.bartleby.com/310/6/1.html)

LikaNui
April 2nd, 2005, 07:20 AM
I'd also like to add my MAHALO NUI LOA for the time and effort that went into this game! I didn't have time to really participate (I only answered one day's questions), but I've sure enjoyed it nonetheless.
Good job, all of you!
:)

Surfingfarmboy
April 2nd, 2005, 09:24 AM
Howzit Blaine!

I was fully aware of your ability to "run" with me step for step in this trivia marathon, and I knew in order for me to have any chance of winning first place, I had to get all 3 questions correct on the final day. I was pretty sure I was in trouble when I incorrectly gave an answer of PC for Aiea on the Royal Summit question, as we had been duking it out with 3 for 3's day in and day out. I'm not sure what the final score was, but it had to have been pretty close. All told, the game was a blast. I'm hoping we can battle it out again, along with EastCoastTropics, Helen, Kalai99, Moto and everyone else who was a participant in this game.

Randy

scrivener
April 6th, 2005, 09:53 PM
For those who are curious, here's how the prize distribution broke down. I basically threw everything into a drawer and let the winners, in order of finish, choose what they wanted.

Our champion, Surfingfarmboy, claimed seven free iTunes (via Pepsi's iTunes promo).

Our runner-up, ZZType, claimed ten free iTunes.

Our third-place finisher, EastCoastTropics, claimed the $10-gift-certificate from Amazon.com.

Our first consolation winner, Helen, well...I'm working on getting something fitting and swell for Helen, who's neither an Amazon shopper nor an iTunes downloader.

Our second consolation winner, Moto, claimed five free iTunes.

Thanks for playing, everyone, and enjoy your ill-gotten booty! (Sorry...MASH quote!)

scrivener
April 6th, 2005, 09:57 PM
This reminds me of a joke I liked when I was a kid:

A woman walks into a department store and asks a sales clerk for help in picking a gift for her husband.

"How about a nice hunting jacket?" suggests the clerk.
"My husband doesn't hunt," says the woman.
"Well, perhaps this lovely smoking jacket," says the clerk.
"My husband doesn't smoke," says the woman.
The clerk takes a breath and says, "Surely, you can't reject a bathrobe?"
:)

zztype
April 6th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Mitchell,

It just happens that at the moment you posted the list of "ill-gotten booty" I was downloading the ten songs from the "Crosby Stills & Nash" album on iTunes! "Suite Judy Blue Eyes" is playing right now while I burn backup CD of the album. It fits right in with my eclectic music collection, which skews heavily toward showing my age! http://zztype.com/itunes/

Very nice! Thanks again!

Blaine

Surfingfarmboy
April 7th, 2005, 01:43 AM
I-tune codes..they are so hot..everybody wants 'em. I'm not sure how it was in HI when Pepsi was distributing them, but in the Northeast, youths were randomly opening up bottles of Pepsi products, in stores, without paying, just to get at the codes.

LikaNui
April 7th, 2005, 08:05 AM
I basically threw everything into a drawer and let the winners, in order of finish, choose what they wanted.
Our champion, Surfingfarmboy, claimed seven free iTunes (via Pepsi's iTunes promo).
Our runner-up, ZZType, claimed ten free iTunes.
Okay, I'm curious. Why did the runner-up get three more than the winner? Since they could choose what they wanted, why did the winner want three less?
I'm so confused.
:confused:

scrivener
April 7th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Why did the runner-up get three more than the winner? Since they could choose what they wanted, why did the winner want three less?

Surfingfarmboy was entitled to any of the prizes he wanted, and he chose the seven (actually, he chose five: there WAS no seven, but I threw him two bonus codes) because he's never used iTunes and thought it would be wasteful to take the ten codes if it turned out not to be the thing for him. ZZType is the beneficiary of a class act.

Hope that clears things up!

ps: three fewer! ;)

Moto
April 8th, 2005, 05:57 AM
I too have never used itunes. I went in yesterday to look at what was available, and I now my problem is, which one to get????? I did, however, sign up at itunes.