X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papa Beard's Cream Puffs

Puff Daddy: A cream puff from Japan is packing in the crowds
    Betty Shimabukuro, Honolulu Star-Bulletin, Wednesday, March 2, 2005
    Beard Papa, it's called, and it has a status in Japan equivalent to, say, Krispy Kreme here -- a bit of mystical, magical specialness that you can have for a buck and a half... Beard Papa takes an all-natural approach -- no preservatives added -- but the public appeal is more likely the unique pastry. It's a double crust incorporating a traditional choux (cream puff shell) and a pie crust-type dough. The combination produces both softness and a degree of crunch.
    They're only in town until Sunday. But the parent company is open to a local franchisee...

Re: Papa Beard's Cream Puffs

Which local-kine creme puff is best: liliha bakery or kumoda bakery (maui)?

Comment

Originally posted by Kü´ë
      Which local-kine creme puff is best: liliha bakery or kumoda bakery (maui)?
      Komoda da bes! But of course, I stay kinda prejudiced, because I one Maui girl...Komoda also get onolicious malasadas filled with guava and lilikoi jam, too.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I think Komoda's cream puffs are different than Liliha's. Liliha's is filled with a chocolate, creamy pudding. Komoda's is custard. Both ono!

By the way, our Hawaii bakeries have it all over Krispy Kreme.
        * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
        - Anna Quindlen

Comment

wow. two hawaii gals in seattle. being kinda close to hawaii,i would think there are a number of places that serve "local" foods/desserts?

yeah, that komoda bakery's been there for ages.

you guys know that the shishido mochi place (also on maui) closed down? sad. that was such an ono place to get mochi! sounds like a family squabble. too bad...
          525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

Originally posted by shaveice
            wow. two hawaii gals in seattle. being kinda close to hawaii,i would think there are a number of places that serve "local" foods/desserts?

yeah, that komoda bakery's been there for ages.

you guys know that the shishido mochi place (also on maui) closed down? sad. that was such an ono place to get mochi! sounds like a family squabble. too bad...
            Yeah, Shishido's closed a couple of years ago now. Still get HomeMaid Bakery crispy manju, though. Those are onolicious!

And get da "Sweet Shop" (I tink dat's da name) next to 24 Hour Fitness in Kahului dat has onolicious malasadas wit da lilikoi and guava kine filling, too.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

My daughter came home from her deployment (clap, clap)! They stopped over in Japan for three days. She brought home lot's of goodies! Especially Apple Jucies for me. One of the many pastries is a "Cheese Cake." Not the kind that we are use to. It is wrapped individually and is not refergerated. It tastes like a sponge cake. It's packaging is beautiful. It has a picture of the Eifel tower and the London Bridge amongst other famous buildings. I keep laughing as I eat the tiny cheese cakes (sponge cakes) wrapped so delicately in their wrappers.

The main thing, my daughter is back on American soil. My HOLIDAYS has begun!

TRICK OR TREAT!

Auntie Lynn
              Last edited by 1stwahine; October 24, 2005, 03:11 PM.
              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

If you are a big fan of Beard Papa's "fresh 'n natural cream puffs,"
                there are now two locations to serve you here on Oahu.

1. HI Kai location:
                Beard Papa Hawaii Kai
                Located in Foodland Hawaii Kai, 7192 Kalanianaole Hwy
                7am to 8pm

2. Also now open:
                Beard Papa Waikiki
                Located in Food Pantry, 2370 Kuhio Ave
                7am to 8pm

Comment

Originally posted by AbsolutChaos
                  there are now two locations to serve you here on Oahu.

1. HI Kai location:
                  Beard Papa Hawaii Kai
                  Located in Foodland Hawaii Kai, 7192 Kalanianaole Hwy
                  7am to 8pm
                  That's where we bought ours this past Saturday. When they first opened, the Koko Marina location consistently had lines 10-20 persons long.

Line's not that bad anymore, but depends also what time you go.

Gave my review in the What's for Lunch thread.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
                    My daughter came home from her deployment (clap, clap)! They stopped over in Japan for three days. She brought home lot's of goodies! Especially Apple Jucies for me. One of the many pastries is a "Cheese Cake." Not the kind that we are use to. It is wrapped individually and is not refergerated. It tastes like a sponge cake. It's packaging is beautiful. It has a picture of the Eifel tower and the London Bridge amongst other famous buildings. I keep laughing as I eat the tiny cheese cakes (sponge cakes) wrapped so delicately in their wrappers.

The main thing, my daughter is back on American soil. My HOLIDAYS has begun!

TRICK OR TREAT!

Auntie Lynn
                    Glad to hear your daughter's back, Auntie.
                    * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
                    - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by U'ilani
                      Glad to hear your daughter's back, Auntie.
                      Mahalo U'ilani! My three soldiers have now done their share. All three will be here in Hawaii for the next four years! Hooha!

I'm so happy, I'm eating alot of Japanese pastries! Mmmmm good!

Auntie Lynn
                      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I tried the chocolate and custard (or vanilla?) Papa Beard cream puffs.
                        Pretty good. But I would rather buy haupia-filled malasadas.

Papa Beard is a bit pricey. I may pay that kind of price for really fancy pastries but not for cream puffs. Not on a regular basis at least.

Comment

Working...
                        X