Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Spank Or Not To Spank?

The dilemma of spanking
    Fewer than half the respondents to an American Demographics survey earlier this year said spanking was acceptable punishment. In the past, various studies have found up to 90 percent of parents spanked their children at least occasionally. But 70 percent of respondents to the American Demographics survey said that children's behavior today is worse than it was a decade ago, and that permissive parents are partly to blame.
    Under what conditions, if any, is a swat to the okole (or elemu) justified?

Re: To Spank Or Not To Spank?

I speak for myself. Not to Spank. Nobody deserves to be hit, especially a child. Children are inquisitive and active, their children. With LOVE, nurturing, guidance and a spiritual foundation...children will grow into productive and caring adults like the ones who reared them. Spanking is considered Child Abuse. Teach with Love, HUGS, Kisses and Rewards...no problem child! I never did spank my children and I could never think of spanking my grandson, Anotonio or any of my future grandchildren. There's no choice for me...my vote, NOT TO SPANK!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I said I'd never spank.

That changed REAL QUICK, the day Katie was feeling particularly defiant and darted into a crosswalk after I repeatedly told her to stop and wait for me to catch up to her.

Thank God she had the walk light.

But right then, I knew her life might have been in danger and I saw no other way to communicate to her how serious the situation was. so I swatted her on the butt. She never did it again.

Yes, I spank, but only when they do something dangerous and verbal warnings go unheeded. I really feel like I don't have any choice in that case.

Comment

I was a less-than-perfect little kid, got my fair share of spankings and I turned out fine. However, it was usually only when I deliberatly disobeyed orders or did something that put myself or someone else in danger...kinda like Kilinahe mentions.

What I don't get is when parents spank their children for things like crying, asking for a cookie...that kind of thing. So I guess I think it's okay in certain situations, but that it's often done too frequently and for the wrong reasons.
        Greg

Comment

The Bible says "Spare the rod...spoil the child."
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
            The Bible says "Spare the rod...spoil the child."
            well i agree spare the rod but.....
            "spoil the child" end up with a spoiled brat adult.....
            I bet we can all identify adults that were spoiled at children.
            Spoiling children is a bad thing. It never teaches them any sense of self discipline, tolerance or patience. The goal of raising a child is produce a well balanced HUMAN ADULT. that is not achieved by over indulgence. or "spoiling"

Comment

I never believed in that Dr. Spock mentality of sparing the rod and spoiling the child. His advice spawned an entire generation of 20-something year olds who feel they are the only generation that has experienced suffering (hmmm maybe spanking would have really given them something to suffer about).

Spanking can be appropriate if done right. One sting across the butt should send the message that you as a parent mean business. Two is getting your digs in, three times means you need anger management classes.

And the spanking should be done immediately after the incident, not when Daddy gets home hours later.

Yup we all said it: I got spanked and I still turned out alright. Then there's those who were spared the rod and look how they turned out: SPOILED ROTTEN.

So lets see if there's a direct correlation between those of us who got spanked and our political affilation. I got spanked and I turned out a Republican.

Next...
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I never spanked my kids. Whenever they would do something wrong or be really naughty, I would give one of my looks which I still do to my grand neices and nephews. They didn't come out spoiled or rotten. They became US Soilders, productive, caring, young adults that I am proud of.

As for me? I had lickings with a leather belt. Became mean ( not now, I sweet) Was a Teenage Rupublican. Now, Registered Democrat who votes for not the party but for the individual. Who would love to go with a leather belt around Chinatown and whack whack all the EBT Alcoholic Druggies, Addicts, and lazy Bums!

Then spank all the Politicians, Policemen, and Community Leaders for ignoring the problems!

Hey, People! Don't forget the Pot Lock Picnic on April 2nd, Saturday @ Ala Moana Magic Island. Email me on private message for more information or ask Admin. Mahalo. Have a safe and wonderful weekend!
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I think my mom spanked me all of...one time when I was a kid. Because I was being an absolute brat and I deserved it. Spanking is something that I think all of my relatives do when they have to, and it works. I think some kids just need a spank, really. But not some full blown, beating-their-heads-into-the-ground thing. Just a swift little swat on their booty or arm and a verbal reprimand. I see so many kids on those lame talk shows that just walk all over their parents. It's disgusting. All these grown people crying about "I can't control my 3 year old, he doesn't listen, he breaks everything , he kicks me, and I can't stop him." I'd love to see them get a spanking.
                  myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

All suggested forms of "punishment" have been used by countless of parents, caregivers of kids. I used to wack my one son and it never did any good...I just got a sore hand. As I look back I was the frustrated parent taking out the frustration on my son. Knowing that now I think I'd have spanked less.
                    Retired Senior Member

Comment

my mom spanked a couple of times; I still have trouble forgiving her; but that's because there was more going on than 'stay away from the hot stove...'
                      HOWEVER!!! Bless her and my grandmaman I never met; she taught me "THE LOOK."
                      My husband still remarks, "take it easy," when someone is not right to him or so on, he says "Don't give them the 'Whole' Look, they'll wilt on the spot!"
                      "the look"
                      nothing like it. ...nnnnnoooooothing!!!

Comment

Originally posted by prettyday
                        my mom spanked a couple of times; I still have trouble forgiving her;
                        My mom and dad both spanked all us kids when we got outta line. and there was no forgiveness, cuz none needed. They did the best they could with the tools and knowledge they had. And I am none the worse for wear. And I love and accept and appreciate them and all they did for us in our upbringing. And I worked at Montessori years ago, and was very gentle with the keiki. (no violent tendencies were generated from occasional spanking from small keed time)

Comment

My mom's anger stemmed from frustration...I do understand and support the spanking in so many instances...and being closer to animals than humans, how can I not understand the love that manifests itself in a cautionary smack!

Comment

Originally posted by prettyday
                            my mom spanked a couple of times; I still have trouble forgiving her; but that's because there was more going on than 'stay away from the hot stove...'
                            HOWEVER!!! Bless her and my grandmaman I never met; she taught me "THE LOOK."
                            My husband still remarks, "take it easy," when someone is not right to him or so on, he says "Don't give them the 'Whole' Look, they'll wilt on the spot!"
                            "the look"
                            nothing like it. ...nnnnnoooooothing!!!
                            In Hawai'i, the locals call "The Look" "da Stinkeye". If you give anybody da Stinkeye, dey going back off, for sure!

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              In Hawai'i, the locals call "The Look" "da Stinkeye". If you give anybody da Stinkeye, dey going back off, for sure!
                              Well, except if dey stay lookin' fo' one beef, li'dat.

I don't think parents should smack their kids around, but there's a pretty big difference between an action taken out of concern and one taken out of anger. I got swatted with a shoehorn when I was a kid, but I know for damn sure I deserved it every time. Nothing was being "taken out" on me. I was being shown the right and true path.

Then again, I now have an odd aversion to the things, and don't have one in the house...

Comment

Working...
                              X