Hawaii's "WEIGHT" problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii's "WEIGHT" problem

Everytime I see those Dept. of Health ads against smoking I offen wonder that more people would be saved it the DOH would put out ads about being overweight and overeating. The concept could be simple like the smoking ones...
    but have the rapper say... "Before you eat an extra laulau....leave 'um where they at...before you eat two scoop rice... leave 'um where they at..etc.

It would reach a "larger" population and maybe save a love one.I work for the DOE and on a daily basis I see young children from k-12 overweight and out of shape. Elem kids wearing "SHORTS" that reach their ankles because that's the only size that fits them...High school student half my age with breathing problems . IMO... this is a bigger problem than smoking.
    Just a thought
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Hawaii's "WEIGHT" problem

Obesity is increasingly becoming a top notch killer in America as a whole...slightly behind cancer (I think?). You hear more and more about it every day, but it still doesn't compare to tobacco when it comes to advertising campaigns. When non-smoking 12 year old kids can't touch their toes, and get 'winded' brushing their teeth, you know you've got a problem. It's damn sad.

With that said, it's about time for a fried egg sandwich
    Last edited by gcvt; March 9, 2005, 06:04 AM.
    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by gcvt
      Obesity is increasingly becoming a top notch killer in America as a whole...slightly behind cancer (I think?). You hear more and more about it every day, but it still doesn't compare to tobacco when it comes to advertising campaigns. When non-smoking 12 year old kids can't touch their toes, and get 'winded' brushing their teeth, you know you've got a problem. It's damn sad.

With that said, it's about time for a fried egg sandwich
      Yep.... except the money the state is spending is LIKELY coming from the tobacco settlements that occured. (hawaii is one few states spending that money wisely). I dont think the state DOH would spend that much money on those ad's if the funding was not coming from an outside source....

Comment

So in other words, you'll see that government-sponsored anti-obesity campaign only when the class action suits against McDonald's win their cases and the money comes pouring in.

Comment

Working...
        X