Aloha from Germany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aloha from Germany

Hello, My wife and I are US Govt employees nearing the end of our tour of duty here in Germany. It appears that we are going to secure employment at Ft Shafter (moving in a couple of months). I'm sure we will have lots of questions for the collective wisdom of this site. We are looking forward to living in such a beautiful place; but at the same time we're a bit apprehensive about the high cost of living I'm sure we will love it regardless. She's Puerto Rican, and I used to surf off Cape Cod when I was younger--so, we are definately not strangers to beach culture. I think my three sons are going to have a great experience there.

Re: Aloha from Germany

I wish I read this one first. My daughter just left Germany. She was with 1st AD. She's in Miami now. I'm part Potorican and cook all the various dishes. Please let me know when you come to Hawai'i, my family and I would love to welcome you personally. I'll cook Gandule Rice, Bacalao Salad w/ banana, pastele and other local foods. You have just met, over the internet, "Auntie Lynn."

I don't do this often. My three children are all in the Military and I would want someone in a strange town to do the same for them if they ever needed it.

Once again, Welcome!
    Auntie Lynn
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Howzit Bär. Yup, it's expensive to live here but if you're federal employees you'll be getting a hefty tax-free COLA of (I think) 25%, which should help a bit. Your wife might be interested to know that there's a small but well-rooted Puerto Rican community here in Hawai'i that goes back to the old plantation days. There are also a growing number of other Hispanics, although still a very small percentage compared to the US West.

Comment

Thanks for the welcomes! And thanks Auntie Lynn, we'll probably be taking you up on that offer! We'll keep you posted with the details as the time draws nearer. We've had a terrific time here in Germany, and we will definately miss skiing in the Alps, but I think the ocean will be more than a satisfactory substitute

Comment

Aloha Bar! Great. I look forward in meeting all of you. There's so much beauty and many things to do in Hawai'i. You and your family will truly enjoy your stay here. You even have a Hanai Auntie (me) before you even step on land. I'd say you're all set.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
          X