Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Building Lava Rock Wall

Aloha,

I want to build a lava rock wall and need some advice. Does anyone have a link to some do-it-yourself websites on the topic? I've found several sites but nothting specific to lava.

Plans are to terrace my back yard with a wall about 5' high. Do I need a foundation? Should the wall lean back at an angle as it rises?
    where's the best place to get lava rock (Big Island)? How much mortar should I use? Etc...

Mahalo for the Kokua!

Re: Need Help Building Lava Rock Wall

FYI I think you'll need a building permit if your building a wall that high. I'm not sure if you need a footing but I'm sure it would make it a lot more stable especially if its a retaining wall. I like to do stuff on my own house but if it were me I think I would just hire this one out.

Comment

Originally posted by Garland
      Aloha,

I want to build a lava rock wall and need some advice. Does anyone have a link to some do-it-yourself websites on the topic? I've found several sites but nothting specific to lava.

Plans are to terrace my back yard with a wall about 5' high. Do I need a foundation? Should the wall lean back at an angle as it rises?
      where's the best place to get lava rock (Big Island)? How much mortar should I use? Etc...

Mahalo for the Kokua!
      You should probably also consult with a kahuna about the location of the source of the lava rock you intend to use. Lava is considered sacred to Pele, and the last thing you want to do is get her huhu! An alternative would be to use river rocks instead. I think if you contact a masonry company on the Big Island, they might be able to help you. The Hulihe'e Palace in Kailua-Kona is a good example of the traditional lava rock wall with a coral foundation and lime putty mortar.

Miulang

P.S. If you use the river rocks, here's a Star Bulletin article that describes a little about the construction technique that is used.
      Last edited by Miulang; March 12, 2005, 11:22 AM.
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
        FYI I think you'll need a building permit if your building a wall that high. I'm not sure if you need a footing but I'm sure it would make it a lot more stable especially if its a retaining wall. I like to do stuff on my own house but if it were me I think I would just hire this one out.
        Where are you?
        If not in Hawaii, you not goin get Hawaiian lava rock.
        Mainland side, they get Oregon lava (?!) I heard. Check yer local masonry/tile/garden rock source

high lava rock wall; drop 6 inches or so of the lava rock below ground level, taper the design as it goes upward a little. make sure get planny large ones and then alotta small kine to fill in da gaps. mo bettah lidat you make white concrete for the old kama'aina home look. da kine you see that was made 80, hunnert years ago or so. Explore and decide much beforehand, how you want the pillars, caps to be designed. (if any) what look you going for. if you want lantern, gotta figure in wiring before hand of course.
        draw it out first.
        make sure you get same kine lava, otherwise da thing goin look all bussup.
        (if yer not familiar with lava rock.. haven't worked with lava rock in the past, no need chance um. Hire the Tongans. Mo bettah li dat.)
        Last edited by kimo55; April 13, 2005, 12:31 AM.

Comment

where's the best place to get lava rock (Big Island)?
          Mahalo for the Kokua!
          I got plenty...come down. Cash($0) and you carry

No warrantees against upsetting Pele.

FYI I found this: starbulletin article

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Mahalo for the great repsonses. Here's another site that I found with some good info:

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml;j...t240036&page=2

I'm in Kona and have some experience with building foundations and cinderblock walls which could be applied to what I want to do. My neighbor just got an estimate for her walls and it was close to $10,000

I dont mind the labor. If I decide to tackle this, I will consult local entities as to permits and proper rock (Pele is too close to make mad)

Comment

(Pele is too close to make mad)
              I shouldn't think you’d have a problem if you are on the BI.

Didn’t a park ranger make up all that talk about Pele’s curse anyway?

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

Working...
              X