new here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new here

hello, i've been reading the forums so i thought i might as well register so i could post. i'm from south carolina. i visited hawaii once (oahu) and really enjoyed it. nothing like the south at all. i only got to stay for a week but i plan on coming back eventually for an extended stay. i was staying with friends so luckily i had someone to show me around.
    i have a couple of questions also. are there many computer jobs around honolulu? like IT jobs? if not what is a good field for employment there?
    thanks and looking forward to discussion on the forums

Re: new here

Aloha and Welcome to Hawai'i Threads! I like your screen name, very original. I'll leave the opportunities for jobs subject for the other members. Once again, welcome.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Hi everyone , ive been reading the forums every chance i had and finally decided to join after realizing ....WHY NOT?

Comment

E komo mai. Park yourself down and jump in anytime.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by outofstep
          are there many computer jobs around honolulu? like IT jobs? if not what is a good field for employment there?
          Do you enjoy cleaning? Just kidding... sort of. If you're into service industry jobs (food service, retail, hotels), you'll have a lot of options. If you're looking for, you know, an actual professional career? I guess the answer depends on how many tens of thousands of dollars you've got saved up!

We don't have much of a tech industry, and what we do have is either emphatically locally grown or funded and managed out of state (or even from outside the U.S.). There are technical jobs within other industries - heck, even hotels need working computer networks - but I'd say the pickings are slim... and I say this as someone fortunate enough to have a tech job.

Well, you asked! Welcome to the 'Threads, though, and I hope you'll be able to visit the islands again soon.

Comment

if not what is a good field for employment there?
            I don't know about Oahu, but my neighbor bought his graduating high school senior a backhoe and a dump truck for graduation. I suspect he will have a better income outlook here on the big island than my daughter with her business degree from UH Hilo. She will have to leave the islands to make any kind of significant income.

Construction here is HOT

Welcome & Aloha

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

yeah, i heard a lot of the tech jobs are hard to come by. i also do electrical work, wiring houses. maybe that would do better.

Comment

are there many computer jobs around honolulu?
                Hi, I'm new to these threads, too. (as of today, actually) And newly moved back to Hawaii, so I can share my experience with you.

There are technology jobs in government and the private sector (especially banking and health care), as well as the Big 4 consulting firms.

However, the pay is typically much less then the mainland, and, if you don't have a real connection to Hawaii, it's difficult to find anything without being here to pound the pavement.

I started coming twice a year to meet with people and job hunt, had a local connection, and a very specialized skill set, and it still took me 2 years to find the right thing.

It's not impossible, but it's hard.

Good luck. It may work for you, too.
                "Remember, where ever you go, there you are." - Buckaroo Banzai

Comment

Working...
                X