Museum piece or Grave Robbing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Museum piece or Grave Robbing?

How do you feel about the current debate: Should Hawaiian artifacts be reinterned or put in museums for all to enjoy?

I feel that if it were my grave ....I would want it left alone. Sure artifacts can tell us about the past , but can't they be photographed and reproduced. How would you like it if 200 years from now someone digs up your grave and puts your wedding ring on display...auwe!

Aloha
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: Museum piece or Grave Robbing?

Originally posted by alohabear
    How do you feel about the current debate: Should Hawaiian artifacts be reinterned or put in museums for all to enjoy?

How would you like it if 200 years from now someone digs up your grave and puts your wedding ring on display...

I would like that a damn sight better than 200 years from now a grave robber digs up my grave and puts my wedding ring through the black market sales routes.
    In fact I would be proud to have an artifact of mine in a museum two centuries hence. That is not to say I can assume anyone else would want their iwi or general koehana to see the light of day.

I have no idea how I would feel about artifacts being reinterned. However, I do have an opinion about artifacts being reinterred. This opens up too many opportunities for grave robbers to snatch the pieces and then, NO one sees then again.
    Last edited by kimo55; March 14, 2005, 07:59 AM.

Comment

I really don't think I'll give a damn after I'm dead.

Archeology is a fascinating pursuit. Would we really have wanted them to cover up Tutankhamen's tomb rather than letting the world share in the beautiful things they found there?

Native Hawaiians are a bit silly on this question, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert

thass a helluva generalization:
        there are as disparate views held by kanaka maoli on this subject as there are different malama groups offering their input.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          thass a helluva generalization:
          there are as disparate views held by kanaka maoli on this subject as there are different malama groups offering their input.
          Yippee! Bro Kimo is back!
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Both the Advertiser and Star Bulletin had reports today about the conference that's being held over the next day or so among the different kanaka maoli groups, a federal review panel that administers NAGPRA rules and the Bishop Museum.

In order for there to be a compromise, the first group that needs to get its act together is the Native Hawaiian group, which right now is divided about the handling of 'iwi and cultural artifacts that have been found in burial sites. If Hui Malama and all the other Hawaiian groups can reach a consensus first, there would be a better chance of working with the Bishop Museum, NAGPRA and the other federal agencies to do what's pono.

So long as the kanaka maoli groups continue to fight among themselves, there is no reason why the Federal govt or Bishop Museum should change the rules related to the housing and display of 'iwi and other burial artifacts.

As for other types of archeological artifacts (like those on Moloka'i, the Big Island and Maui), the State should do whatever it needs to to protect these sites from desecration (i.e., if John McAfee succeeds in buying the ahupua'a which has Iliiliopa'e in it, the State should forbid him from altering that site in any way and allow at least the kanaka maoli access to that heiau). Same with the Halawa Valley on Moloka'i.

Miulang
            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The turmoil between Hui Malama and the other Native Hawaiian groups has to be healed before anything constructive can occur with the disposition of 'iwi and other cultural artifacts. It's not in the best interests of the kanaka maoli to pursue the issues until all the different factions can agree on what is pono for all.

Miulang
              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Miulang, I'm just wondering... are you Native Hawaiian?

Comment

I really don't think I'll give a damn after I'm dead.

whack whack in ya ulu and opu.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                    Miulang, I'm just wondering... are you Native Hawaiian?
                    No, I'm not Native Hawaiian, but I was born and raised in the 'aina and my heart lies with the kanaka maoli there, as it does with all indigenous people all over the world who are losing their heritage, their culture, and their land to people who don't understand that most indigenous people don't care about money, they care about their history and about taking care of their land. It's not a hard concept to understand when you slow down enough to think about how material things don't seem to be making anyone happy (as in, the more you have, the more you seem to want).

Miulang
                    Last edited by Miulang; March 15, 2005, 05:58 PM.

Comment

The recommendations from the federal review board from NAGPRA were announced today. For the most part, the board is still urging the Bishop Museum to work with the 13 Native Hawaiian groups to figure out the final disposition of cultural artifacts that were reinterred on the Big Island and other objects which are still housed at Bishop Museum.

I really hope the kanaka maoli groups can come to a peaceful agreement and meet with the Museum as one, unified group, because if they don't or won't, the courts will step in and make the decision for them. It would end up being a lose-lose proposition for everyone.

Miulang

Comment

"whack whack in ya ulu and opu."

Well, there's a fine example of Native Hawaiian eloquence.

Comment

"whack whack in ya ulu and opu."

Well, there's a fine example of Native Hawaiian eloquence.
                          Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

I not Native Hawaiian, ya must be pupule or sumting...ya missing sum marbles!

Proud to be born and raised here and know how to respect the aina and it's people!
                          Last edited by 1stwahine; March 16, 2005, 08:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X