[rant] Computer stores on this side of the isle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [rant] Computer stores on this side of the isle

I was cleaning my computer's inside and organizing the wires to make it nice and to prepare it for its window case mod I'll be doing in a few weeks, when my SATA cable breaks at the end (apparently, it was breaking when I got it, but it only broke a few months after usage). I asked my uncle if we could go to compusa to get a replacement part, and we waited 15 minutes to get a salesperson to see if the store has the product in stock. Beforehand, I spent 5 minutes finding that cable in the "upgrades" section, but from what I saw, they didn't have it. Now I have to go downtown to Personal Touch Computers to see if they have it. If they don't then I'll be ordering a $5-10 cable from newegg.com.

BTW, I made a temporary solution by taping the broken part to the cable (so that it'll connect to the mobo and stay) but I don't think it'll last long because of my fans.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: [rant] Computer stores on this side of the isle

Originally posted by adri1456
    I was cleaning my computer's inside and organizing the wires to make it nice and to prepare it for its window case mod I'll be doing in a few weeks, when my SATA cable breaks at the end (apparently, it was breaking when I got it, but it only broke a few months after usage). I asked my uncle if we could go to compusa to get a replacement part, and we waited 15 minutes to get a salesperson to see if the store has the product in stock. Beforehand, I spent 5 minutes finding that cable in the "upgrades" section, but from what I saw, they didn't have it. Now I have to go downtown to Personal Touch Computers to see if they have it. If they don't then I'll be ordering a $5-10 cable from newegg.com.

BTW, I made a temporary solution by taping the broken part to the cable (so that it'll connect to the mobo and stay) but I don't think it'll last long because of my fans.

Man, you think that's bad - try finding parts on the Big Island (in Hilo at least). Options:

Office Max
    Wal*Mart
    The "Computer" Store (Think AT power supplies, shit ugly expensive cases, +100% drive markup, etc.)
    I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

You said it. I had to go to Oahu for a funeral this past weekend and on the way to the airport I stopped by CompUSA for some spare parts before making the trek back to the Big Island.

When I do my purchases from New Egg.com I buy what I need and things I really don't need but will want later like extra audio cables for my internal CD or DVD drives, extension fan cables and those other minor wiring items you need whenever doing a mod.

So while on Oahu I picked up a $24 micro ATX-12 power supply for a down computer, a wireless keyboard/mouse combo for $29, and a $49 56k v92 modem card w/built in caller id because I went cheap on my last build and bought a modem with no caller detect feaure while online. Sometimes CompUSA can be a Godsend, I wouldn't buy a computer from them but I would buy parts. As much as I detest CompUSA for it's customer service, if you know what you want and know where it is, the store can be a great service, now if they can only build one in Hilo!
      Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I wish they'd build a CompUSA here in Kona. At least in Hilo you have OfficeMax.
        Here in Kona, the only choices for computer stuff is at KMart or Wal * Mart.
        Check out my blog on Kona issues :
        The Kona Blog

Comment

But you guys got Lowes and Costco! Plus the Super Ferry (when that gets around).

Word has it that both above mentioned stores will be building within 2-years in Hilo. CompUSA would be nice though. My wife dropped me off at CompUSA's Ala Moana store while she took the kids shopping for shoes. I spent almost three hours there just browsing thinking what else do I don't need.

The cordless keyboard/mouse was a great deal. It's a CompUSA model that was marked down from $39 to $29 and includes a radio frequency controlled keyboard and wireless optical mouse. That is a deal even New Egg couldn't match when you include shipping costs.

One thing I was shocked about was this past Sunday's Radio Shack flyer for the SanDisk 512mb mini cruzer usb thumb drive for $19.95 after a $10 mail in rebate. I think CompUSA had the same drive for $39.95. And that's no misprint either 512mb for $19.95!

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron S
            I wish they'd build a CompUSA here in Kona.

No, Kona does NOT need a bigbox store.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              No, Kona does NOT need a bigbox store.
              We already have Wal * Mart, KMart and Costco, so we already have big
              box retailers here. I would settle for Office Max crying out loud to open here
              in Kona. At least then I can get my DVD-R media cheap.
              The Kona Blog

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                Word has it that both above mentioned stores will be building within 2-years
                Lowes was orginally going to build a store in Hilo, then they decided to build
                the store in Kona. Costco is looking at leasing DHHL land to build a store,
                what I read behind Prince Kuhio Plaza.

I would settle if they built a Office Max in Kona. Then I could get my DVD-R
                media cheaper.
                The Kona Blog

Comment

We already have Wal * Mart, KMart and Costco, so we already have big box retailers here. I would settle for Office Max crying out loud to open here in Kona. At least then I can get my DVD-R media cheap.
                  buy online. to destroy the Hawaiian islands cus ya wanna get one component a month "cheaper'" in a walk in bigbox, is a travesty.

Comment

Ok whatever, thats it I'm putting you ignore. Congradulations you're the second person I put on ignore on here.
                    Last edited by Aaron S; March 23, 2005, 05:51 PM.
                    The Kona Blog

Comment

Ok whatever, thats it I'm putting you ignore. Congradulations you're the second person I put on ignore on here.
                      you are the worse for it, lil boy.

Comment

Man I feel for you guys and I guess I should be thankful after all. That's stuff I take for granted and often grumble about (driving into town to pick up a component).

Comment

I'm curious to know if the new Best Buy they are building near Costco on Oahu will have any dent on the prices at the CompUSA in town...

Right before I moved here, the Columbus, OH Best Buy people assured me that they were going to build a Best Buy REALLY SOON in Honolulu, and that was two years ago. I'm glad that all the stuff I bought from them in anticipation of my move out here is still working!

Comment

Actually Aaron, Lowes is still planning on Hilo after seeing the fantastic results Home Depot has enjoyed since grand opening. Having a Kmart would be a good thing too to help keep Wal Mart in some level of check. Office Max isn't as cracked up as it's advertised to be. Those sunday sales flyers are mainland ads and a lot of times it doesn't apply to the Hilo store, like that 80gb external hard drive for $49 on sale this past Sunday. Office Depot is way better, maybe that's why Home Depot here in Hilo orders its office supplies from Office Depot instead of locally at Office Max.

And Kimo, Aaron's kinda a big guy, not quite so little.

But the fact remains, living on the neighbor islands has it's limitation, that being no convenience of being able to walk in and get what you want, when you want it and for a good price. That's one thing Oahu still has the dibs on, lots of shopping in a compact little island. And that's what makes living on the Big Island so appreciative too, lots of room to roam and a simpler life to boot!

Comment

Eh Craig. You guys get one Sears in Hilo? With the merger of KMart and Sears, you won't need to have KMart put up another store...just walk into Sears and find Martha Stewart and Joe Boxer!

Miulang
                              "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X