Hawaiian Grammy controversy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Grammy controversy

Things are heating up. See Tim Ryan's excellent article in today's Star-Bulletin at:

http://starbulletin.com/2005/03/17/features/index3.html

Especially disappointing was Keali`i Reichel's producer Jim Linker saying that he was "surprised and disappointed that a slack key album won the Grammy."

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Hawaiian Grammy controversy

Seriously, what did we expect? The Grammy awards have not been relevant for years. They're famous for being completely corrupt and out of touch with reality. All one has to do is look at the awards given in the Latino music categories over the years to know that the Academy members have not the intelligence nor the patience to listen to anything not sung in English. I know we had high hopes here, but Stevie Wonder could have seen it coming. There's no way a old, white, male mainland voting body would have given the award to any of the other albums.

And Lilikala really needs to assess her priorities. I can't believe she's getting her panties in a twist over this stupid, meaningless award show when nobody can seem to reach a consensus over what to do with ancient remains and homelessness and drug use among Hawaiians is so rampant.

I'm hoping that this answers the question of whether or not they should continue to hold the Hokus.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
      but Stevie Wonder could have seen it coming.

hoohaaa!
      good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilinahe
        All one has to do is look at the awards given in the Latino music categories over the years to know that the Academy members have not the intelligence nor the patience to listen to anything not sung in English. (...) There's no way a old, white, male mainland voting body would have given the award to any of the other albums.
        (and)
        I'm hoping that this answers the question of whether or not they should continue to hold the Hokus.
        Sorry, but as I understand it (and as the Star-Bulletin article mentions, I think), each Grammy voter is only allowed to vote in seven categories (out of more than 100) and they must be knowledgable in the 7 categories for which they do vote.
        I don't believe there was ever any thought of cancelling the Hoku awards.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Mahalo's for da link. Twas a RrreaaaLLLL #1 Article.
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
          X