Merrie Monarch tickets being scalped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrie Monarch tickets being scalped

Now I think I've heard everything. It's bad enough that concert and game tickets are being sold (scalped) on eBay, but now some "enterprising" individuals (probably on the Big Island) are also scalping tickets to Merrie Monarch on eBay! Sets of tickets have sold on eBay for as much as $440.

This is truly ridiculous. But it just goes to show that there are people with lots of money who think nothing of dropping $400 to see 3 nights of the best hula in the State.

When I was on Maui, I was able to buy a 2005 Merrie Monarch t-shirt and the poster for this year's event, and I was happy to do that. But I would never pay $400 for tickets. I'll pay the $29.95 for the video later on this year.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Merrie Monarch tickets being scalped

That's a shame. Lucky for us here we get to watch it on TV live on Channel 4...nothing is more beautiful than wathcing in person but at $ 400.00? Dey betta watch out, Pele might burn dem tickets (poof be gone)!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
      but now some "enterprising" individuals (probably on the Big Island) are also scalping tickets to Merrie Monarch on eBay!

Nope. Thankfully, hopefuly, kama'aina would not do this. Seller is on da mianland. San Diego.
      And the buyers, identified at their seats will be disallowed at future M.M. events.
      Just remuneration for this travesty.

as the article states; this goes totally against the spirit of the event. disrespectful to the hula culture.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
        Nope. Thankfully, hopefuly, kama'aina would not do this. Seller is on da mianland. San Diego.
        And the buyers, identified at their seats will be disallowed at future M.M. events.
        Just remuneration for this travesty.

as the article states; this goes totally against the spirit of the event. disrespectful to the hula culture.
        I PMd the seller this morning and told him "shame on you for trying to make a profit off the backs of the Merrie Monarch volunteers". Not that it will make any difference to the idjit who's selling the tix, because that person obviously doesn't know the importance of the festival as a cultural event. Also told him there was a story in all the local newspapers and that in the future, if he was the one who bought the tickets for resale to make a profit, the Festival people would make sure he would never be able to get tickets again.

Everyone who participates in the festival is a volunteer, that's what makes this whole thing even more hauna.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Yo go girl!
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I PMd the seller this morning and told him "shame on you for trying to make a profit off the backs of the Merrie Monarch volunteers".
            scalping is standard on the mainland. everything no matter the requirement for cultural sensitivity, is fair game, as with anything else americans can make a buck on.

There are even ticket touts who make a heavy steady income buying and reselling tix.

Trouble is, you will be hard pressed to convey to these kindsa people, it is not right to bring into the arena of Hula shows, the scalping concept. They will never understand that it is not pono.
            They simply have no soul. They will not care.
            But try, we must, to educate.

I notived this seller is even suggesting to others wanting one ticket, to go out and buy a few and scalping THEM!
            No shame!
            Last edited by kimo55; March 18, 2005, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
              scalping is standard on the mainland. everything no matter the requirement for cultural sensitivity, is fair game, as with anything else americans can make a buck on.
              Scalping is common here, too, and in many cases, not specifically illegal (or so says eBay's legal eagles, which specifically check out ticket resellers on a state-by-state basis). But reselling tickets to Disney's Princesses on Ice is considerably different than doing so for the Merrie Monarch. Just because one can doesn't mean one should.
              And the buyers, identified at their seats will be disallowed at future M.M. events. Just remuneration for this travesty.
              Really? I know they were going to try and track down the seller and blacklist him, but the buyers, too?

Comment

I got a nice reply from the current Merrie Monarch ticket auction owner. She explained why she had to sell the tickets (family commitments will keep her and her family away from their Kona timeshare during the Festival). She said she had listed the minimum bid as the actual cost of the tickets, and anyone who bid over that it was their problem.

She also mentioned that the Advertiser and Merrie Monarch had been in contact with her (after the article was published) and when she explained the situation, they said "OK, no hard feelings, then."

I replied that it would still have been more pono for her to sell the tickets to the first person who met her minimum instead of letting the auction continue. THAT'S the part that's objectionable. All the workers and dancers participating in Merrie Monarch are volunteers, and it's not right to make a profit when they are not.

I told her I really hope she does get to attend the Festival in person some day (she said they had been trying for 15 years to attend) so that she could understand why locals would be upset about what she did.

Miulang

Comment

I replied that it would still have been more pono for her to sell the tickets to the first person who met her minimum
                  yea. she shoulda done a buy it now auction at a decent low price to cover her costs. Kinda like what the M.M. office does; first come first served in this short time frame.
                  also, noticed on her auction, some addendum re; the brouhaha.
                  Last edited by kimo55; March 19, 2005, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X